GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leaving Houston next weekend headed for Ruidoso, NM. Decided to take the quickest route up (through Fort Stockton) which is probably also the hottest route. I've planned to wear a long sleeve shirt and will try to wear my mesh jacket as long as I can. I figure I'll need sunscreen on my face and the back of my neck (wearing 3/4 Arai helmet) and thought I should probably take several cool collars in an ice chest along with some water bottles. I plan to stop once every hour or so to rehydrate and stretch but I'm sure I'm overlooking some important detail. Any other ideas to make the heat more bearable. BTW, it's supposed to be over 100 degrees later this week in Fort Stockton so who knows what it will be next week. Oh yeah, I forgot... it's a DRY heat!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Try the ventilated long sleeve shirts at Cabela's or BassPro.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I have a large Butler Cup, when I ride in the heat I will drink all the water between gas stops. I do go inside and fill it with ice and keep water on the bike to pour over the ice. That works for me.

A

·
0 Posts
Try the ventilated long sleeve shirts at Cabela's or BassPro.
I second this. The fishing shirts from Columbia are great and made for hot, humid conditions offshore on a boat.

Drink lots of water!!!!!!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Coolvests.......wouldn't't ride in the heat without them

·
Love The DCT
11,812 Posts
Staying hydrated so you don't get dehydrated is most important. Very easy to get dehydrated in high temp low humidity conditions.

Protect body parts from getting sunburned.

·
15 year Member
6,873 Posts
DON'T but if you must..... water and cover..... without them you will burn up like a mosquito on a hot rock.....

Matt(BCNV) ;)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I have a large Butler Cup, when I ride in the heat I will drink all the water between gas stops. I do go inside and fill it with ice and keep water on the bike to pour over the ice. That works for me.
Pretty much the same here. Keep your body covered.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Coolvests.......wouldn't't ride in the heat without them
Coolvests work wonders in the dry heat. I wear mine all summer on long rides around New Mexico. Wear it under your vented jacket.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Stay hydrated, take breaks in the shade when you're tired, wear sunscreen. Also, you will be traveling west, so take some sunglasses.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I've made the I-10 run from Tucson to Austin many times, you are right it can be very hot around Fort Stockton/Van Horn. There is no secret other than keeping your core temp below its critical temp...that is different for everyone but the methods to do it are pretty much the same. The large veins in the neck are your main radiators and once the ambient temp goes much over 105 F any airflow over your neck warms instead of cools. When the ambient temp goes over 110 F you need to protect your neck with cooling wraps, wear your mesh jacket with a long sleeve wicking shirt, keep your face shield down, and stop often, ride no more than 45 min. to 1 hour between stops to cool and once in a cool place set long enough to really cool your core (I've walked into walk in beer coolers and just stood there for 15 min or so to bring the core temp down when I can find one ;-) ). While you are cooling off it helps to drink cold drinks. I like ice tea but H2O works as well. Over about 115 F go watch a movie for a couple of hours and start riding once it cools back to 105 F or below.

One of the worst rides I had through there was last June, I don't think the temp got much over 110 F but they had just laid fresh blacktop over the road. I would guess the surfact temp of the road was 130 F or above. Someway I made it to Deming, N.M. and set for an hour in the Cattleman's Steak House drinking tea. When I came out the temp had fallen to 105 F on the banks display, it felt like heaven and the rest of the ride home was wonderful.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Get a spray bottle, fill with cool water and mist the front of your shirt frequently. Or just pour water on it. Always worked for me.
keep hydrated and stop often. Stay away from colas. Also get a real early start before the sun comes up if you can.

Road agent

·
Registered
578 Posts
All the above recommendations are good.

I wear hiking shirts with extra large pockets that have a button flap...not velcro.

I fill the pockets with ice from my cooler. The ice actually can give me a chill as it melts and drips down my front.

In 100+ degree days the ice will last about 60 miles or so, probably longer if you wear a mesh jacket over the shirt.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Wife and I took a ride two years ago....OK so the heat was about 100, not as hot as you describe...but we were STUPID

We did not hydrate BEFORE we left...we left in the prime heat of the day and we did not hydrate along the way

The result...we both became ill along the way...spent about 3 hours at a rest area trying to recuperate

A very stupid move on our part but a lesson well learned

Keep covered with mesh gear and hydrate continuously

We also would wrap our necks with cold cloths...amazing how that cools one down

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I wish I could say that I'm not a little more leary of this ride after all of the comments but they are much appreciated. I just ordered a Fieldsheer Iceberg cooling vest to wear under my mesh jacket. Also, I never considered riding with the faceshield on my helmet but I'll try that, also.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
All good ideas, less miles more water and the cool vest are all lifesavers. I'd much rather be coming in this direction in the heat than towards you. When it's hot in Houston along with your humidity I think I'm going to die:lol: I've done that trip both ways in July and you should be able to wear all your gear.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Ride at night
Be very careful riding at night along I-10 between Ozona and Van Horn. Sometimes you will see dead deer almost every mile. I don't think I've ever seen a stretch of Interstate with as many deer kills along the road as that part of I-10.

One other thing, watch for the Highway Patrol, last year at this time of the year there were more Cops than citizens on that stretch. It seemed every other car was a Black and White and half of 'em had a car or truck pulled over.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,878 Posts
A lot of very good suggestions in this thread ...

The only thing I can think of to add;

Gatorade - It helps me stay alert... the heat can really take it out of you, and the lose is not just water. Put it in that Butler Cup and sip it along the way. When it runs out get another bottle out of the trunk ... keep something in that cup all the time!

Mesh Jacket over Under Armour Heat Gear - A short sleeve. The Under Armour made a big difference for me. Regular cotton shirts seemed to hold in the heat ... the Under Armour allowed my upper body to get more air. It works even better when wet.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts