GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
When you get it - go to page 78 in the NAV manual and deselect maps for areas you don't need. It will speed up system performance. Worked well for me. 8)

Don't open the thing in the trunk to look at the memory chip. You don't need to - it's there. Some people are saying that it won't stay closed once you open it. If you notice there isn't any map details showing up on the screen the chip may not be inserted properly - there's been a couple reports about that. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Tips and Tricks eh! What is this Halloween? :twisted:

The tip is read the manual first and then get frustrated as to how limited the GPS unit really is. :shock: It is fine for a "go to address" or find the nearest Dairy Queen but is fairly worthless as a real GPS. You can't program it from your computer. It only holds one route at a time. It is a pain to program in way points (vias). As a road going navigation aid it is just fine but when I get my TKC80's on this bike and go out for some single track it will not be enough. :lol:

Cheers.
Marc

·
Registered
13 Posts
i overheard some techs talking at the honda homecoming this year. it was something along the lines of pressing up, down, up, up, down - then some service menu was supposed to pop up. i lost my memory and that combo didn't seem to do anything. i'll be monitoring this post for more comments. good luck.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
lomax said:
The tip is read the manual first and then get frustrated as to how limited the GPS unit really is.
That tip is the answer to "what research should I do before I buy the 2006 NAV." If one doesn't discover that until after he buys, he has no one to blame but himself. :wink:

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Glockenspiel said:
i overheard some techs talking at the honda homecoming this year. it was something along the lines of pressing up, down, up, up, down - then some service menu was supposed to pop up. i lost my memory and that combo didn't seem to do anything. i'll be monitoring this post for more comments. good luck.

J

·
0 Posts
If you think you are a so called "Power User" forget it. If you want a moving map display that is very simple to use and intended for those that are computer illiterate and/or are geezers you will love it. It's a beautiful bright display. You can't take it into the restaurant and spoil everyone's meal while you tinker with it, but it will still be there when you come out, if the bike is still there. It does exactly what it was intended to do, just like all very friendly automotive GPS units. The "Unverified Road" message both text and spoken comes on every 20 seconds and it horrible. You can turn the voice guide off when you are in these areas but the text still messes up the display. Anyone can use it except those brilliant "Power Users", they just can't seem to understand it and they tell us about it daily.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Glockenspiel said:
William Anzik said:
so you're saying... up, down, up, down, left, right, left, right?
I'm saying up, down, up, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, B, A, Select, Start.

If you not an old school Nintendo NES player you probably don't get my little joke. :wink:

Back to the topic though, the guy is asking for tips and tricks! Not a review of the NAV system like every other NAV thread on here! :evil: I love the NAV. I do hate the annoying "Unverified Road" message and I have sent my complaint to Honda. I'd suggest others do as well.

·
Registered
244 Posts
OK... and now back to reality :D

Press the Menu button.

Now on the zoom toggle... Up, down, down, up. That will make some funny characters appear on the screen and give you a new diagnostics menu. You can't permanently change anything on it so happy reading.

Press menu again and now on the zoom toggle... down, up, up, down. That will give you a menu item to select indoor mode (ie not looking for satellites).

Actually I might have those the wrong way round... its been a while lol.

There are a couple of other weird menus you can make appear once in the diagnostics screens such as a timed shut down but, absolutely NOTHING of any use to anyone other than frustrating you further. Hm, well, maybe it depends what's wrong...

There's a serial data screen that enables you to see all the bus information... interesting if you're a geek like me :D There's also a switch test screen, but that's about it.

I reckon there must be a way into the nav system set up menus to enable us to change things such as map detail, but if there is I haven't found it yet lol.

Oh, when you get bored looking at the diag screens and can't work out what the funny characters that appeared mean... just switch off the ignition and all will return to 'normal'.

Have fun.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Has anyone heard how Honda is going to make it possible to update the maps loaded in the GPS? I've heard rumors that they'll sell you a pre-programmed memory card with City Navigator v8, and that the price was going to be quite high. I've also heard that the memory card can be removed and updated on your PC, if you have the CN v8 disk.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Thanks for the tips.

Keep them coming.

I'm new to this and need all the help I can get. Just now getting my feet wet.

Did program a home into it and a route from NH to Dover, DE. I ignored that route and found it funny how it kept recalculating without doing a U turn. Funny, that is until I found out I couldn't shut her up. Even turning the bike off and on didn't do it. Since found I have to do STOP or cancel.

Have yet to enter any vias to make that route go where I want, instead of going thru NYC.

Find it kind of interesting to play with and can see a use for it when traveling in new country.

I was skeptical at first, as I enjoy getting lost.

·
Registered
755 Posts
The card can be updated, it does not have to be replaced. I updated mine a few weeks ago from V7 to V8. I successfully unlocked the new map program using the internal ID of the unit and the Garmin unlock wizard on the Internet. There are three files on the card. One of them has the original unlock code for the installed software version.

I have only used mine for 5 weeks but so far I have never gotten the "unverified road" warning others have mentioned. I have been in a situation where I was on a new street that was not on the map. The map showed I was in the middle of a field, but I never got the message.

I have not tried programming routes from the laptop yet. That is my next experiment.

Sorry to be in the minority, but I like the unit. I was previously using a Garmin V. At least this unit is better than that one.

·
Registered
57 Posts
kg5ie said:
The card can be updated, it does not have to be replaced. I updated mine a few weeks ago from V7 to V8. I successfully unlocked the new map program using the internal ID of the unit and the Garmin unlock wizard on the Internet. There are three files on the card. One of them has the original unlock code for the installed software version.

I have only used mine for 5 weeks but so far I have never gotten the "unverified road" warning others have mentioned. I have been in a situation where I was on a new street that was not on the map. The map showed I was in the middle of a field, but I never got the message.

I have not tried programming routes from the laptop yet. That is my next experiment.

Sorry to be in the minority, but I like the unit. I was previously using a Garmin V. At least this unit is better than that one.
DO you have a link to the internet wizard?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts