GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Six point socket, breaker bar, pipe for breaker bar if needed, dead blow hammer to hit the breaker bar or pipe. You may need an extra set of hands to hole the socket on the bolt and steady things. Following.
Bill

·
Registered
186 Posts
Impact driver is the right choice.

The best kind are the ones that you hit with a hammer to rotate the nut (or bolt) but this application is not suited for that type of impact driver.

The second best is one of the electric (or air) units. Not a drill, but an impact.

Whatever method you use, make sure you are using a good fitting 6 point socket. If you own more than one, try them all to see which one fits best.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I want to thank all of you for responding. I always appreciate any help I can get.

I tried many of the things mentioned to no avail. There were also many mentions of things I have no idea about. Also, my tools are certainly limited and I really don't know if they're 'good' tools or not. they get the job done for most things that I'm capable/knowledgable enough to do. Soaked it in Liquid Wrench and then PB Blaster overnight.

Couldn't get the stupid things off. I did try my local car mechanic yesterday. He was too busy and I didn't want to annoy him.

Rode to my local bike shop this morning. Despite my somewhat stripped heads on the bolts, he attached the same thing I tried. 6 point socket. Is that the right name ?? Anyway, his was more stout so to speak and his extension, a bit longer. He grabbed the bolt as best he could and .....................voila !! They both cracked open.

Soooo....................thanks again to all who took the time to respond !!!

Now, on to changing the rear brake pads.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Six point socket, breaker bar, pipe for breaker bar if needed, dead blow hammer to hit the breaker bar or pipe. You may need an extra set of hands to hole the socket on the bolt and steady things. Following.
Bill

Thanks. I don't have those things/tools. And I really don't want to buy them. I'll almost never use them.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Impact driver is the right choice.

The best kind are the ones that you hit with a hammer to rotate the nut (or bolt) but this application is not suited for that type of impact driver.

The second best is one of the electric (or air) units. Not a drill, but an impact.

Whatever method you use, make sure you are using a good fitting 6 point socket. If you own more than one, try them all to see which one fits best.
Thanks !! Like I've mentioned and said to others, I really don't want to buy tools that I'l almost never use.

Your point about a 'good fitting 6 point" I believe may have been the key. He ( local shop ) attached the same thing I did. But, as I mentioned in one of my latest posts here, his was "better" I guess.
He was able to remove it rather easily. Lessons learned.

Thanks again for responding and trying to help me !!!!!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Bill

In THIS case, it appears that a "good" socket would have worked for me. Lesson l;earned.

Thanks !!!!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Never-seeze is always a good choice when putting things back together. If you have never had them off the front axle pinch bolts is another risky set of bolts, steel bolts into aluminum... corrosion nightmare.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
In THIS case, it appears that a "good" socket would have worked for me. Lesson l;earned.

Thanks !!!!
I would use an black impact socket and if there were room I'd use an impact wrench. Please don't ask how I've learned these lessons!:)

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Never-seeze is always a good choice when putting things back together. If you have never had them off the front axle pinch bolts is another risky set of bolts, steel bolts into aluminum... corrosion nightmare.
Thanks !! I take suggestions like this to heart AND put them in my "Goldwing" file for future use. The way I see THIS suggestion...........even if you're not totally accurate about this, ( it's possible )
I see it as can't hurt to use this stuff If I ever have to. And I see it IS spelled "Seeze" with two 'e's.

Thanks again !!!!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I would use an black impact socket and if there were room I'd use an impact wrench. Please don't ask how I've learned these lessons!:)
I'm not at all sure what a black impact socket is. However, it's now alomost 9:00 p.m. and earlier I purchased this. ( attached ) Even though I am certainly no mechanic, although I'm learning, I also could 'feel' that what I was about to use just didn't 'feel' right. So, I purchased this. My hand is there for scale.

Thank you so much for responding !!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
If you need to change the tire & don't want to hammer up the rear components you can ALWAYS lay the wing on it's side and change out the tire like MANY of us do.. Simple quick & easy... Just saying '' also along with all the other good ideas above a solder gun on the nut to heat it up (expand) may work. Good luck and let us know what does work....

Thank you so much for responding !!! I hear you................but I just can't do it. Lay the bike on it's side. Due to other stuff going on throughout the day, I haven't finished the job yet. I'm also going to make the emergency brake work properly. My bike is 3 years old and it never worked at all ( won't hold AT ALL ) right from the dealer, brand new. No biggie for me. I NEVER use it anyway. But, since I'm playing in that area of the bike, I'm watching The fredster's videos and will fix it.

Thanks again for the reply !!!

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I'm not at all sure what a black impact socket is. However, it's now alomost 9:00 p.m. and earlier I purchased this. ( attached ) Even though I am certainly no mechanic, although I'm learning, I also could 'feel' that what I was about to use just didn't 'feel' right. So, I purchased this. My hand is there for scale.

Thank you so much for responding !!!
A "black impact socket" is a socket that's built/engineered for use with an impact tool. They're a lot tougher than the run-of-the-mill sockets (and a bit more expensive). The black color makes them easier to spot in your tool box. If I were a betting man, I'd say that the one you show in the picture is an impact socket.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
OK Geeks,

Done with the rear brake job. FWIW, I followed Fred's videos to a tee. Lubing every bolt/sleeve he mentions, caliper off the bike, etc. Thanks Fred !!!!! I'm positive next time I will be able to do it much faster.

Wanted to show you guys ( attachment leaning on Mr. Turtle ) a picture of the old pads. I just turned 30,000 miles. I'm a # 2............but these pads look like they have a lot left on them. Put the new ones in anyway while I was in there. I'll make a note in my file that I can probably wait another 50K before I change the rears again assuming my riding habits are the same. I do a lot of long distance riding.

Sooooo....................waddya think about these old pads ??

# 2.

p.s. I haven't ridden the bike yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Heat and lube for all stuck bolts. If you don't care about the bolts and no have problem replacing them afterwards....

These have save me so many times in the past on various vehicles.
Yes, thanks. Believe it or not, I ( # 2 ) have these things. THIS job I preferred not to use them as that would have meant another trip to the auto or hardware store.

Thanks you for the response !!!!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Invest in a better tool set.
Yes. I bought 3 seperate items that I already had. These new ones are just better. Not so much I have gone the 'cheap' route before................. I have 2 seperate 'sets.' Whatever was in them, was in them. I add to those sets better individual items as I go along.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2019 Red/Black Tour DCT airbag
403 Posts
Nikita= Russian politician name
Makita= Japanese made power tool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Despite what it says on the outside box, almost all Makita power tools are made in China. The box says Makita Tokyo Japan but the actual tool has a little gold sticker saying China. Shame they all go this way.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts