GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did not check it out, and it came over the internet, but was wondering....

WHAT TO DO IF YOU GET A TRAFFIC TICKET

This advice was sent by a retired State Farm agent! The system has been tried and it works in every state.

If you get a speeding ticket or went through a red light or whatever the case may be, you're going to get points on your license. This is a method to ensure that you DO NOT get the points

When you get your fine, send in a check to pay for it. If the fine is $79.00 make the check out for $82.00 or some small amount over the fine. The system will then have to send you back a check for the difference, however here is the trick.

DO NOT CASH THE REFUND CHECK! Throw it away! Points are not assessed to your license until all financial transactions are complete. If you do not cash the check, then the transactions are NOT complete. The system has received it's money and is satisfied and will no longer bother you (and no points will be added to your license).

This information comes from an unmentionable computer company that sets up the standard databases used by every state.
Just wondered if anyone had heard of this, or tried it. Usually, if something sounds to good to be true,...........And, yes, I know the Internet is not a great place to get factual information........

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Hold the phone...you mean if it's on the internet it's NOT true?

Does this mean I'm not going to get a check from Bill Gates for forwarding that e-mail? :lol:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Nope

I..ummmm....had a recent "opportunity" to try this out...........unwillingly, of course.............

The fine folks in Kansas City were SHOCKED!.......SHOCKED!!!, I tell you that I had inadvertantly forgotten the speed limit on their Interstate system, and sought to remind me by insisting that I donate to their Police Retirement Fund.

I included an extra "donation" when I contributed......only a dollar or so...... and it was joyfully accepted with no acknowledgement or receipt I could use for a tax deduction.

My latest insurance statement also noted that THEY knew what was going on, so no joy there, either.

Oh well..........

Cloud9

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
One of 2 things will happen if you follow that plan.
1. They will take the money (& no "Thank You")
2. Send it back, list fine as "Unpaid" and suspend your license.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I dont believe it, the county I work for will take your money, but if you want to try it go get a ticket and tell us what happens...... :D

N Ga Rider

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Sounds like this was started by some county employee that wanted to see some extra revenue coming in. :twisted:

·
Registered
679 Posts
Got my first speeding ticket in 40 years a couple months back..62 in a 50 zone. Didn't argue, agreed I was in the wrong, spent a few moments after accepting the citation talking motorcycles. Nice FHP guy. Got a $10 or so discount for paying by mail and signing up for a driver course for another $29. Total was $175. No points, and only a wasted saturday.

Moral of the story..don't speed, and take your medicine when you get caught without lying, whining, or trying to dodge what you know is right.

Ride long and safe..and if you speed..and get caught..you're guilty.

John
ETC (SW) USN ret
The Sabre Group ret
EDS ret
'06 GL18HPNAC6

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
NEWS FLASH.

Be aware of traveling through NY state. The NYS troopers have been given ORDERS to NOT bargin with drivers. So if you get pulled over for speeding, you are going to get a ticket. No trying to plead it down at the scene ( getting caught going 80MPH and asking to reduce it to 70 in a 65 )

Now!!!! Those are the orders that the troopers have been given, I suppose it would be up to the trooper discresion still 8)

·
15 year Member
6,934 Posts
J-mac said:
NEWS FLASH.

Be aware of traveling through NY state. The NYS troopers have been given ORDERS to NOT bargin with drivers. So if you get pulled over for speeding, you are going to get a ticket. No trying to plead it down at the scene ( getting caught going 80MPH and asking to reduce it to 70 in a 65 )

Now!!!! Those are the orders that the troopers have been given, I suppose it would be up to the trooper discresion still 8)
Thats why when i drive through NY I go 100, if your gonna pay might as well have oodles of fun!!!

Matt(Ashland,MA)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts