GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife and I are here in Vegas for the week, anyone know where I can rent a wing and do some riding? Cell 203-494-6324. Maybe do Lunch?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Lvwolfman and Sonofthunder live in vegas. I used to but I up and moved out over a year ago.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Hawkmoon,

I will be in Vegas Tuesday thru Friday. Hooking up with Tim (Shuckaduck), call me if you find a Wing. I sent you a PM.

Mike

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
The best, closest ride is Red Rock Canyon, just west of the city. During the week is the best time to go, while everyone's at work. You need that road pretty much to yourself in order to really appreciate it. If you're like me, one time through the 13-mile loop won't be enough. Take the first time slow to appreciate the beautiful scenery, and the second time to really enjoy the awesome road.

Mt. Charleston is also a close ride, though you'll need to remember it's cold up there this time of year. The road that connects Kyle Canyon and Lee Canyon roads is not to be missed!

Then there's the ride out along Lake Mead to the dam. I work nights next week, so lunch is actually a possiblity...

Weather-wise, highs have been in the low 70's, with 50 for a low. It may be a few degrees cooler by next week.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
One suggestion for riding in the city of Lost Wages: Be careful on the freeways!
In all my years of riding I've never seen such aggressive drivers on a freeway. If you back off to give yourself 2 seconds of travel time from the vehicle in front somebody will move into the space. Sometimes two somebodies will squeeze in!
Also, those lines painted on the road? Advisory only, or so it seems.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Son of Thunder said:
The best, closest ride is Red Rock Canyon, just west of the city. During the week is the best time to go, while everyone's at work. You need that road pretty much to yourself in order to really appreciate it. If you're like me, one time through the 13-mile loop won't be enough. Take the first time slow to appreciate the beautiful scenery, and the second time to really enjoy the awesome road.

Mt. Charleston is also a close ride, though you'll need to remember it's cold up there this time of year. The road that connects Kyle Canyon and Lee Canyon roads is not to be missed!

Then there's the ride out along Lake Mead to the dam. I work nights next week, so lunch is actually a possiblity...

Weather-wise, highs have been in the low 70's, with 50 for a low. It may be a few degrees cooler by next week.
LMK YOu have my cell would like to meet up and put aface to the names.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dicepilot said:
I believe the wing rental place is http://www.moturis.com. Great rides and beautiful scenery around Vegas.
Thanks Dice, checked them out, site said they are closed???

Update Found a 1800 for Tuesday, Looking for a tour guide!!!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
You don't really need a tour guide because outside of the immediate town, there isnt much around there. Id say go up to Mt. Charleston, then do the loop that goes to Red Rock and past it (you can also drive through Red Rock for 2 bucks I think...makes for some good pictures). If you take it, you end up on the south end of town.

Then go over to Hoover Dam and take a tour. They have MC parking in the parking garage.

One interesting road that someone had to show me when I lived down there is...take I95 south from I93 about 5 or 6 miles. On the left will be highway 165. take that and it will lead you right up to the colorado river about 20 miles south of the dam. Beautiful drive, lots of twisties. You can then get off the bike and hike down a large wash to the river. Highly recommend it. Also...on the way there on the right hand side (not sure where it was...lol...closer towards the river I think) is a cave. Not sure what it was but it was very interesting. Maybe LVwolfman of SOT have a better idea where it is or what it was?

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Valley of fire is cool. Don't know if the road thru Lake mead park is finished yet but that's a nice ride to valley of fire and Overton. I gotta work tuesday at least until 2.

Any of you vegas riders want to go for a ride tomorrow(sunday) I was thinking about Lake Havisu. Call me before 830 am 433-8325 Tim

·
Registered
356 Posts
Try Eagle rider.com I had a wing rented from there when I went to Vegas back in July but decided it was too hot to ride so I opted for a Mustang Convert. The price on the wing was not too bad and they had a pick up and drop off service. Red Rock and Lake Mead were both worth the time to check out, have fun and ride safe..

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
shuckaduck said:
Valley of fire is cool. Don't know if the road thru Lake mead park is finished yet but that's a nice ride to valley of fire and Overton. I gotta work tuesday at least until 2.

Any of you vegas riders want to go for a ride tomorrow(sunday) I was thinking about Lake Havisu. Call me before 830 am 433-8325 Tim
Sundays aren't generally good for me, Shuck. Keep trying, though. We'll get a board ride together yet! Have you heard from anyone else?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Okay then. How about Mt. Charleston instead?

You have a PM!

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
ziggystyles said:
Also...on the way there on the right hand side (not sure where it was...lol...closer towards the river I think) is a cave. Not sure what it was but it was very interesting. Maybe LVwolfman of SOT have a better idea where it is or what it was?
Sounds like you might be talking about the huge cave(s) down by Nelson's Landing.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, I'm told there was a SciFi movie filmed there using that cave as one of the main locations. It was called Cherry 2000 and had Laurence Fishburne and Melanie Griffith in it (though hardly starring roles. :lol:).

Tim: I'd have been game for the ride this morning, but didn't check the messages today until just now. Sorry.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Just got back from Havisu, beautiful day, a little wind. Had some good mexican food at Chuy's for lunch. John, sorry I missed your message, started getting stuff ready a little after 8. Tim

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
shuckaduck said:
Just got back from Havisu, beautiful day, a little wind. Had some good mexican food at Chuy's for lunch. John, sorry I missed your message, started getting stuff ready a little after 8. Tim
No worries, Tim! We'll hook up sooner or later! One of these days, you're gonna have to show me where Chuy's is...

·
Registered
435 Posts
Tim,

I'm heading out of Phoenix tomorrow towards Quartzsite, up through Havasu, and spending the night in Laughlin. I'll be in Vegas (Texas Station) on Tuesday, I'll give you a call when I get in.

Mike

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
We give a big Thumbs UP :yes1: to Valley of Fire and Red Rock Canyon. We were in Vegas March of 05, rented a wing and went to VoF then down along the West side of Lake Mead across the Hover Dam into Arizonia.
Have fun and Enjoy!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts