·
I U Turn
888 Posts
Not yet
Mick

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I just browsed through the magazine, Didn't see anything about the Gold Wing. There was an article about the new Honda with an automatic tranny. Nice article about propery shifting tehniques.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
It would be interesting but pure speculation. And we can get enough of that on the Internet. You know how secretive Honda is,

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It would be interesting but pure speculation. And we can get enough of that on the Internet. You know how secretive Honda is,
You might be surprised. Honda isn't as good at keeping secrets as everyone on here has been led to believe.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
The only info I've seen is that Honda's recalling all 09 LE blues to replace them with orange for $2K.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
The only info I've seen is that Honda's recalling all 09 LE blues to replace them with orange for $2K.

2K? Guess it would cost 3K for a yellow.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
This from the "Other" board...

http://www.ridersrally.org//bb3kit/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22372&p=157389&hilit=MCN#p157389

Well I brought the MCN newspaper yesterday for the awaited inside knowledge on the new Goldwing as promised only to find there was no mention of it
. Confused I decided to send an email to the magazine for some type of explanation with no real hope that I would recieve a reply. Well I was wrong and there was a very nice and appologetic email awaiting me tonight. Below I have a brief resume of it, but I must admit I do get a bit worried by the attached warning about publishing the contents of the email to others as it is for my consumption only with dire warnings if I transgress. For this reason I have not attached a copy just some of the information, am I being over cautious

The gist of the email is,

Really sorry about that. We got the pictures of the BMW S1000RR late and
felt we had to kick out our Honda story.

But it¹s in next week * promise!

Here's the gist of the story:

The new Goldwing is at least two years off * there¹s no rush as the current
model not only still sells well but also matches the competition in the
giant tourer category. What the new Wing will get is a long list of rider
aids including airbags, ABS, a version of the Human-Friendly Transmission
(HFT) or a motorcycle-specific twin-clutch gearbox, a new near-2000cc flat
six engine, variable cylinder management, built in sat navSthe list will be
very long.
Although not decided formally.

As mentioned it was a very nice email.
As you can see it gives no real information other than it is at least a couple of years away. The rest seems to be on the lines what everyone else has been saying.
So I will continue to enjoy this Goldwing which flew through it's annual MOT test today with flying colours
Whilst at the dealers I asked their opinion on a new Wing and they agreed it's at least a couple of years away. Otherwise it was agreed it would be all singing and dancing to eclipse the competition with a larger engine (one opinion was much much larger) with a switchable automatic gearchange which could be also controlled by fingertip with buttons.
So it's a matter of watch this space in a couple of years for the information, but meanwhile I will read next weeks MCN just to see what more they have to say just as a matter of interest.
Keep the rubber on the road,

·
Registered
8,269 Posts
The new Goldwing is at least two years off * there¹s no rush
Boy, I should be the proud owner of one or two farms right now...

·
Registered
440 Posts
As I regularly work in the UK, I will buy a copy tommorrow as I did last week without the GL2000 story in it. It will be pusblished this week as they kicked it out last minute last week because a new BMW with foto's took priority according a senior bike editor.

I thrust this type of source more then some of the speculation on GL1800 boards. MCN is a major weekly motorcycle publication in the UK and like other big European motorcycle magazines, like Motorrad in Germany, they get regularly early information on new bikes from the various motorcycle manufacturers. They build up a relation ship with some of the reps over the years with bike introductions, at shows and test rides.

I will post the content of the article tommorrow.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Fred, here you go

This weeks MCN had the story in it, but no other details on the GL2000 GoldWing then the teaser indicated:

This was part of a feature on 3 new Honda models launched over the next 3 years direct from Honda source Dave Han**** (apparantly this site check for erotic words, as the man name is Hankock, but then with a C) Honda R&D testrider since 20 years:

New replacement for VFR and and super Backbird in final stage of development:

1200CC V4and looks like the concept bike shown at the 2008 Cologne Bike show as Honda Concept Bike and see MCN impression on October issue.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload/21 ... -oct15.jpg

All new Pan-Europen, replacement for the ST1300

This is also a vital bike for the European market. It will share the same V4 engine lay out with the new VFR, but with a bigger capacity motor. The new Pan European will have radical techanical features like:
- Push button operated double clutch transmission
- variable cylinder management allowing to run on 2 or 4 cylinders depending on performance needed
- next generation of V-Tec variable valve system
Expected for 2012 release

All new GoldWing (full story)

The new GoldWing is at least two years off-there's no rush because the current model not only sells well but matches the giant tourer competition. The new Wing will get a long list or rider aids including:
- airbags and ABS
- a version of the Human-Freindly Transmission (HFT) or a motorcycle-specific, twin-clutch gearbox
- a new near 2000cc flat six engine
- variable cyclinder management
- build in Sat Nav
the list will be very long
Altough not decided formerly, it is possible Goldwing production will move from America to Japan for the first time since may 1981.

This last sentence raises some questions, as the transfer to Japan was already formerly announced by Honda, but delayed for whatever reason. Given the rise of the Yen and potential impact to GoldWing pricing, are they reconsidering?

For me this story confirms from a more reliable Honda source the rumours on the new GoldWing with higher displacment and more features.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Thanks. The one thing that really piques my interest is the cylinder deactivation. That should increase fuel economy in spite of the larger interest. My main reason for desiring this is longer range.

I hope a manual transmission will be offered. Having the Burgman, I know the benefits of a true automatic on a bike, but I just like the old style better.

I also hope they can hold the weight down and that the ABS is similar to the new CBR's.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The 1800 has plenty of power, could almost use a higher top gear. Be nice if they could offer two models, one for taller riders and a low model for shorter riders.

·
Registered
440 Posts
And an article in Australian Gizmag, confirming similar details as in MCN

http://www.gizmag.com/hondas-2011-gold-wing-to-be-technology-showcase/11690/

May 14, 2009 Details of Honda's all-new 2011 model Gold Wing are emerging, along with the news that it's likely to be released a lot earlier than planned. Australian MotorCyle News is reporting the new Wing will jump from 1800cc to 2000cc, and retain its horizontally-opposed six cylinder format but will have both twin overhead camshafts and four valves per cylinder, similar to the EVO6 concept (pictured with 2009 Gold Wing) it showed at the Tokyo MotorShow 2007.
Beyond that, the bike is shaping as a technology showcase with Honda's variable cylinder management, a beefed-up Human Friendly transmission, airbag system, ABS braking, GPS, electronic traction control, Bluetooth phone integration and an iPod compatible sound system.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Australian MotorCyle News is reporting the new Wing will jump from 1800cc to 2000cc, and retain its horizontally-opposed six cylinder format but will have both twin overhead camshafts and four valves per cylinder, similar to the EVO6 concept (pictured with 2009 Gold Wing) it showed at the Tokyo MotorShow 2007.
Ummm...., I'm taking the DOHC 4 valve head with a grain of salt, but that would give the engine a much higher potential for power.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I echo the desires of the other posters and hope they add a 6th gear. I have the 06 now and love that machine, but will trade it for the 2011 if it is what they say it is. The bad thing about waiting till 2011 is my 06 will have 90,000 miles on it by then, love to ride, and love to ride often. I alos imagine that sales of the 09/10 will be stiffled by this news with the waiting buyers holding off for the 2011.

Ride safe my friends and be well.

Joe

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
The bad thing about waiting till 2011 is my 06 will have 90,000 miles on it by then, love to ride, and love to ride often.
What's bad about that? That's less than 1/3 of the engine's life.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts