GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I am interested in hearing about this one myself. Have you been able to find a good online deal on the price yet? I think this one was suppose to be sold at MSRP or something.

Hey Jon, did they send you my beta version for me to try out? HA HA I could not pass that one up.....

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
The projected ship date from Garmin is still listed as 'early November' with my distributor and they don't have any updated information yet (as of this morning).

I'm sure as soon as they hit the mailboxes, the pre-order people will start posting that fact.

They haven't found the loophole in the MRP plan so you can still find it online for less than $800 (without the XM antenna)

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I have never had a GPS and the Zumo will be my first. I made a list of all the stuff that I would like to have in a GPS and the Zumo had a lot more. Santa already got my letter.

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When looking at the specs, I really do like the Zumo and think it will be a great GPS for use on a motorcycle.

I just wish they had added the NEXRAD doppler radar screens to the weather data package. That is the about only thing it is missing.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Fred H. said:
When looking at the specs, I really do like the Zumo and think it will be a great GPS for use on a motorcycle.

I just wish they had added the NEXRAD doppler radar screens to the weather data package. That is the about only thing it is missing.
Could you elaborate on that Fred. I have never had a GPS so I don't know anything about the weather feature. I would however love to have doppler radar, if it does not have that what does it have?

Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
The Garmin 376, 378 & 478 units all have the capability of displaying realtime Nexrad weather radar on the GPS screen.

The data comes over the XM satellite datastream and requires a monthly subscription fee (typically, $30/month with a $50 activation fee). The XM receiver/antenna is included in the 376c package but is an extra cost for the 378 & 478 units. The units can also receive the standard XM music if you subscribe to that service as well.

The Zumo, 2730 & 2820 also have XM radio capabilities, but they don't have the ability to display the Nexrad radar information. They do have the ability to display 'XM Nav Traffic' data which includes basic weather information (current conditions, 5-day forecasts, etc.) The XM NavTraffic package runs $9.95/month alone or $16.94/month if you include the music subscription.

The 376 & 2730 are the only units that include the XM antenna in the box. The other units require a separate purchase. You can find more info on the XM service options at Garmin's site.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Thanks for the great answer Jon. I like the XM radio that is in my car but I don't think that I would pay $30 per month for the radar no matter how much I would like to have it.

I still love the Zumo.

·
Road Warrior
1,322 Posts
Nexrad radar, the next best thing to sliced bread. I wouldn't be without my 376c :) Sheila

·
Registered
206 Posts
Jon, I think I am only paying $3.99/month for the XM NavTraffic. I will check because I know I wouldn't have paid anymore for that service. Of course I have the family plan so maybe that is why it is cheaper.

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
motorcyclemom40 said:
Nexrad radar, the next best thing to sliced bread. I wouldn't be without my 376c :) Sheila
You can say that again. Being able to look down and actually see where the storm and rain is, and ride around it makes it worth it.

Next time you find yourself riding in the middle of a terrible rain event, ask yourself how much you would be willing to spend to have been able to see it in advance and go around it.

Dodging rain in Arkansas

Lightning strike data

satellite mosaic showing cloud cover and NEXRAD

Wind Direction and Speed info

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Fred H. said:
motorcyclemom40 said:
You can say that again. Being able to look down and actually see where the storm and rain is, and ride around it makes it worth it.

Next time you find yourself riding in the middle of a terrible rain event, ask yourself how much you would be willing to spend to have been able to see it in advance and go around it.
I agree with you in the price. It is a little pricey but if you get the xm radio and nexrad together for $30, then it is not as bad. I personally would like to see if for about half that to be more resonable to me. But I do not even have a GPS. I think my pet weather rock does as good as the local weather channel.

I do like the options on the Zumo, but needs to ask a question when I was looking over some specs. Copy and pasted from the features: SD card expansion makes it easy for storage and route sharing. Now can you only share this with other Zumo owners? I presume that this means that the Zumo does not use exclusive Garmin memory cards.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
The maps on the Zumo are loaded on the internal memory, the SD slot is used for storing 'user data' (MP3 files, pictures, routes & track files).

The theory is that you can pull the card out, download the information (to MapSource) and then share it with other riders. We don't know yet if you could hand the card to another Zumo rider and have them download the route to their unit without having to leave your card in their unit.

In reality, it's probably no different than how everybody shares routes right now.

If you want the 'standard' marine NexRad radar-capable XM weather subscription package and XM radio, it'll cost you $36.98/month. Remember that the subscription is for the XM receiver/antenna and only works when the antenna is plugged into the GPS.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I only pay $12.95 for the first XM Radio and $3.99 for the NavTraffic/NavWeather and $6.99 for each additional radio of which I have 4. I don't know how you come up with you amount unless you are including activation fee or they are charging new subscribers alot more than we the early adopters.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I received this update from Garmin yesterday: (November 4th 2006)

Thank you for contacting Garmin:

The Zumo 550 will start shipping to our dealers in the first couple weeks of
this month you will need to contact a Garmin dealer to see when they expect
their shipment of units. You can use our dealer locator on our website at
http://www.garmin.com/dealers/.

Mine is on order from www.chumbo.com at $767.73 which includes shipping.

DubT

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
xxxrider said:
I only pay $12.95 for the first XM Radio and $3.99 for the NavTraffic/NavWeather and $6.99 for each additional radio of which I have 4. I don't know how you come up with you amount unless you are including activation fee or they are charging new subscribers alot more than we the early adopters.
You might be on to something about the early adopters as they may be grandfathered into a price plan we can not get. But I think your pricing is better. Not to hi jack a post, but which ones again have the nexrad. I do not care much for the xm.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I may be totally confused but these numbers you guys are throwing around don't match what I read on XMRadio website.

They advertise XM Radio for $12.95 plus XM NavTraffic for $3.99 plus XM Weather for $30.00 which adds up to $46.94 per month.

I admit that the website is not all that easy to navigate but................

What am I missing here? :D

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
xxx is confusing XM NavTraffic with the NexRad radar weather.

The 376, 378 and 478 are the units that can display the weather radar.

The other XM-capable units (2730, 2820, Zumo, 72xx) can only display the NavTraffic data (which only costs $3.99/mo)

You can view the details and find links to the all the pricing packages at this link: http://www.garmin.com/xm/

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yes, Jon, I was referring to NavTraffic for $3.99 which includes the basic NavWeather package which includes 5 day forecast, highs & lows, etc. but nothing like NexRad which would overlay doppler radar on you screen and I would like that but not for $99.99/month even if the 2730 could support which it doesn't.

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
xxxrider said:
Yes, Jon, I was referring to NavTraffic for $3.99 which includes the basic NavWeather package which includes 5 day forecast, highs & lows, etc. but nothing like NexRad which would overlay doppler radar on you screen and I would like that but not for $99.99/month even if the 2730 could support which it doesn't.
The NexRad weather radar package costs $30 a month, NOT $99. I don't know who started that rumor that it was $99 a month, but it is FALSE.

There are three weather packages available for the 376/378, Fisherman ($30), Sailor ($30) and Master Mariner ($50).

http://www.xmradio.com/pdf/existing/wea ... on_pkg.pdf

The Fisherman gives you surface pressure data and water temps, where the sailor gives you Wind Speed and direction, and the Master Mariner gives you both along with the Sattelite mosaic showing cloud cover. ALL THREE include the NEXRAD radar overlays.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts