GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sold the VFR last night and I was thinking about replacing it with a Suzuki DL650 so I can take advantage of some of the dirt roads nearby. I'd like to hear your thoughts / impressions if you own or have owned one.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I have a DL650A, 2007 model year. I also have a couple Honda 250s. Here's my opinion: I love my V-Strom. However it isn't too great on goat trails or mud. If you want to do dirt roads it is fine but it can't go anywhere near my 250s in the rough stuff. It is just too heavy to be laying it down in the mud and also it damages easily because of the fairing. I do have roll bars, it helps a lot. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my V-Strom ( next to my Wing of course ). I would buy another one in a minute. It is great on the interstate but just marginal off road.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Wee

I had a 2008 non abs. Loved it!! hard packed dirt is no prob. Mud she don't likey. A liter Strom is 50lbs heavier but alot more power. Depends on what your riding in. The Wee or the Vee are very capable adventure touring bikes. Lots of accessories available too. And less than 1/2 the cost of a GS. If it's pure dirt riding you want there are better alternatives.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Indy had a Wee Storm the other night, but I have wee'd more than it did!

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have a Wee, thought about selling it but can't seem to make myself. The wife and I have taken a 500 mile trip on it and it did just fine, was a little cramped when compared to the Wing though. I use the Wee on the blacktop all the time so all I can do is offer some web sites for you to pour over and hope they help you out.

http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php
http://www.stromtrooper.com/

·
Registered
229 Posts
How do you all think the V Strom compares to a Kawasaki KLE 650 Versys?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I had one for a year. It functioned flawlessly, was dependable and a great value for the money.
I also found it very boring, almost without character at all. I replaced it with a Triumph 955i Tiger which had nearly the same flaws (weak brakes, mediocore suspension) but was much more fun to ride by my reckoning.
I've never ridden a Versys but it appears to be much more focused on street riding by virtue of its 17 inch front wheel and appearance. I would say they went the same direction as Triumph did on the 1050 Tiger and gave up any pretensions of dual sporting.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I had an '07 DL650 and loved it riding the Arkansas Ozarks. However, anything other than fairly hard-packed surfaces are not its cup of tea.

I would look at something like the Kawasaki KLR 650 as a better dual purpose bike.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have a '09 wee with abs. I agree with the above about it's off road capabilities, but then I don't plan on doing any off road stuff. I love mine for a change of pace to the wing and it is my daily commuter bike in the summer. It is cooler in the summer than the wing but the wing gets most of my winter commuting as well as our long road trips. However, the wife and I took the wee to Colorado last year and it surprised me how well it performed two up in the mountains.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts