GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 1800, 60,000 miles. At least a half dozen times when I am in neutral and turn off the key, it sounds like the starter is engaging, I turn the key back on and put the bike in reverse then back in neutral, turn off the key and all is ok. Last week when I pulled into the house I herd a sound coming from the engine I haven't herd before. when I turned off the key in neutral it sounded as if the starter was engaging. I turned the key back on and put the bike in reverse. The bike back up very rough. Took it out of reverse, in neutral and tried to turn off again, same thing with the starter noise. Went through the sequence again and when I put it back in neutral the noise I herd was gone. Turned the key off and the bike shut down as normal. Went though the house to open the door to pull the bike into the screen room. Turned the key on and all I have is a click from the relays under the seat. Tried to rock the bike in gear in case the starter was jammed but no use. Anybody have an idea what the problem is. I'm thinking the starter was engaged a bit while the engine was running and my be burned up. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Generally a click from under the seat indicates a dead or dying battery. I would be inclined to check the fuses

Have you tried to adjust the reverse cables at all and did reverse work normally. :oops:

·
Registered
42 Posts
spinning starter

I have not had this trouble But I would first inspect the relay that operates the starter. MAybe switch it out with another in the system. There are lots of them that are the same,

Tinwacker

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am going to go an buy 2 relays a and b tomorrow. Will try a few things before having to remove the starter. Thanks for the tip.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,189 Posts
bandleader said:
I am going to go an buy 2 relays a and b tomorrow. Will try a few things before having to remove the starter. Thanks for the tip.
The "A" one is probably the culprit, but with 60,000 miles on it I would change them both anyway. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts