GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The plug in the faring pocket is 3.5 mm. The jack on the Garmin motorcycle hookup assembly is 2.5 mm. I know I can use an adapter, but what a nuisance. Just more chances for problems

·
Registered
624 Posts
Which Garmin are you referring to?

My 2730 has a 3.5 mm stereo out jack on it which I connect to the aux input on the Wing. The 2.5 mm jack on the m/c kit is a mono outlet, I believe. I don't use it.

Oh yeah, I could be mistaken on everything I just wrote. :D

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
It hooks right into my Garmin 376. The Xm sounds good enough for me. I have bitchin betty turned off however.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Jan, I just asked Garmin that exact question about an hour ago. The tech told me that the hardwire power/audio cable was designed for motorcycles with non-intregated systems (like cruisers & scooters). He explained that for those riders, a simple "mono" earbud is all that is needed to plug into one ear under the helmet to hear the GPS lady sing. I just purchased the 2720 and plan on using a discarded transister radio 2.5mm earpiece (cheap), slip it into my ear, pull on the helmet, and go. I'm sure I'll still be able to hear the lady in the back over the intercom speakers in my helmet in addition to the stereo. It's a cheap solution (just an extra wire dangling from the handlebars to the helmet).

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
The problem is the difference in intended use for the audio output points.

On the SP3, 26/27/28xx 'Garmin Motorcycle Cable' and the Quest 'Garmin Motorcycle Cable', the 2.5mm voice audio output connection is mono and is designed to connect to a speaker output only. Connecting this output directly to an off-board external amplifier is not supported, will cause grounding issues with the 1800 and can damage the audio output circuitry of the GPS (which is a non-warrantied repair).

On the units that are capable of outputting stereo music (2730, 2820, 376, 378, 478 and the Zumo) they provide a 3.5mm stereo output jack. On the Zumo, this is the only physical audio connection point - the other units still also provide the mono output capability, but it's disabled when the unit detects a cable plugged into the stereo output jack.

Bottom line - connecting the 2.5mm mono output jack to the bikes 3.5mm stereo input plug was never a design intent of the Garmin system, nor was it the intended use of the AUX input to the bikes audio system.

·
Registered
311 Posts
On the SP3, 26/27/28xx 'Garmin Motorcycle Cable' and the Quest 'Garmin Motorcycle Cable', the 2.5mm voice audio output connection is mono and is designed to connect to a speaker output only.
Sorry, but my Quest motorcycle mount has a 3.5mm and works just fine on the Aux.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I stand corrected - I just went out and checked and the Quest audio cable is a 3.5mm mono output jack. I'm sorry about that...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts