GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.jakewilson.com/productDe...456&webCatId=57&brandId=77&prodFamilyId=27761

It's a radial Dunflop, rated much higher weight than a lot of "Wing" rears. it's a 65 ratio; vs; oem 60, or the 70 that some of us run. This tire is actually built for Harleys, but other than bead shape, differences, (which I doubt) I don't know why it wouldn't work.

I've run thru 4 Metzler 70's,, on my 5th, but get miserable mileage. Love the tire, but the mileage is a killer. Love some input. Thanks bunches.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Oh well, into the frying pan I jump: there are so many PROVEN good tires for the rear of a wing........Why experiment with what is probably another piece of junk?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Actually the 180/65 is bias (check the site for yourself). Other than that my riding partners have had wonderfull things to say about it. 18K + miles and sticks well. They do ride H-D's so I don't know how much difference a Wing would have on it. Dual compound if I remember correct.
Ronab had a good thought, but give her a whirl and see. Of course you'll have to listen to the H-D crown razzing you for running one of their tires, but if it works who cares.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Better to crash and burn a fiery death than to be razzed by the HD crowd!!! (just kidding!) The tire MAY be a good one, but I doubt it to be as good as other choices. Good luck with it if you choose to use it!!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually the 180/65 is bias (check the site for yourself).

Thanks for pointing that out. I missed that somehow. Several sites I was reading said that tire was an R. I did notice that the 200 is an R. Just trying one more attempt at a tire that sticks fairly good, and gets some mileage. My last Metz only got 6500. Love them otherwise. Riding dbbl, and trailer following, + a bunch of stuff in bags sure is a tire killer. I have the current Metz up to 48 and the smartire is telling me that the temperature rise isn't increasing at the same rate as say, 42 psi. And the temp related total pressure isn't quite as high. Also, I have about 3 k on it, and doesn't seem to be near the cupping. We'll see.

Locals are having Avons come apart, and not reading much good about E3's, Shinko's, etc. Prolly go with a CT next. Not decided yet.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
riding double, trailer, lots of stuff in saddle bags........you are the perfect candidate for one of the square tires! I am on my 2nd one and will never go back to a regular mc tire. your passenger will really benefit from the smoother ride.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I had that tire on my 09 Ultra,a little over 10,000 miles it was worn out in the center.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Ron and Bob. I'll just kick that idea out of my mind. Now - - - - sooooooo many choices on "square tire" :eek:4:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Tire

Must admit I was sceptical about a car tire on a motorcycle. But I took a chance with a 195/55/16 kumho escta runflat and will probable never put anything else on the back of a wing. Just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
:agree:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Actually the 180/65 is bias (check the site for yourself). Other than that my riding partners have had wonderfull things to say about it. 18K + miles and sticks well. They do ride H-D's so I don't know how much difference a Wing would have on it. Dual compound if I remember correct.
Ronab had a good thought, but give her a whirl and see. Of course you'll have to listen to the H-D crown razzing you for running one of their tires, but if it works who cares.

Cheers
The 18,000+ attracts my attention. I could not get 10,000 miles on the back tires of the Dyna or the Softail.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Thank you for bring this tire to our attention. I run a car tire but it certainly looks like a step in the right direction for a motorcycle tire. Personally, I would not hesitate to put that tire on my bike, that is if I didn't already have a tire with a 1285 lb load rating. (Dunlop SP5000).

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Must admit I was sceptical about a car tire on a motorcycle. But I took a chance with a 195/55/16 kumho escta runflat and will probable never put anything else on the back of a wing. Just my 2 cents!
:thumbup: runing car tire got little over 8000 mile already and still looks new only problem with my tire is at stop lights and I hit the trottle hard the front end comes off the ground and goes forward with m/t it just sat and spin tire.:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Dunno. They said it and I don't have a reason to doubt them. They did say they lasted longer than they ever thought. I would get 20K out of an E3 on the Venture. 3 tires with consistant results. I liked them a lot in bias form but not very confident with them in radial.

If someone tries it I'm sure we'll get a full opinion of them.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
The Dunlop D-251 was mentioned, that's the 200-60 radial.

I put one on for my ride with the Wolfpack a couple years ago. It worked....................HOWEVER.............it was toast at 2500 miles. While a lot was asked of it, that thing will not give anyone good wear.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I won't do DUNFLOPS! :shrug:

·
Registered
19,442 Posts
:roll:Why not start your search with the recommended size-60 Series Dunlop, Metzler, Avon, Stones MT ?:shock:

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:roll:Why not start your search with the recommended size-60 Series Dunlop, Metzler, Avon, Stones MT ?:shock:
Me did. none good enough. ct next

·
Registered
454 Posts
Wise choice! :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts