GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Addition: To borescope ideas+++ IS +++you can buy the cables very reasonable''' SOOO++ just buy one you can use with your phone and INSTALL the cable and camera in the air cleaner box and just plug it into your phone anytime you want to look at it!! Without having to take anything apart!!!!! & spy on them littler critters doing naughty stuff in your air box!!!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Common sense says:
If your going to go through the trouble just to use a Boroscope.

Why not just change the Filter every 25-30,000 mikes?

At least you'd have a baseline for where you ride!

BTW- no Boroscope can show how much junk there is in the bottom of the pleats!

BTDT, have the unused boroscope in the drawer!

OTOH. a scope will tell you if a mouse is not paying rent on that airfilter apartment!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I did mine a couple months ago. Take off left top cover, inlet sitting right there. Glad i did, mine has 26k miles on it, hardly dirty. Will be good until 40k at least. Also great to double check that no critter got up there. I use my borescope more than I thought I would with my iPad.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I did mine a couple months ago. Take off left top cover, inlet sitting right there. Glad i did, mine has 26k miles on it, hardly dirty. Will be good until 40k at least. Also great to double check that no critter got up there. I use my borescope more than I thought I would with my iPad.
NO, you must change every 12,000, so there is not a tab left on your plastic at 150,000 miles🔧😉:)

·
Registered
2020 Tour Manual, 2018 Royal Enfield Himalayan
620 Posts
If you have to hibernate your bike for the winter and you have undetected mice in your garage, they can get into the air-filter area. If you have a borescope, you should be able to see the nest. If you see the nest in the spring, you'll be changing the air filter. If you only do 6000 miles per year and you still have the mouse problem, you'll be changing the filter every 6000 miles.

I'll try my best at keeping mice at bay, but a borescope seems like the only way to know if your filter provided a winter home.....unless you want to spend the hours removing pieces to eye-ball it yourself.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Addition: To borescope ideas+++ IS +++you can buy the cables very reasonable''' SOOO++ just buy one you can use with your phone and INSTALL the cable and camera in the air cleaner box and just plug it into your phone anytime you want to look at it!! Without having to take anything apart!!!!! & spy on them littler critters doing naughty stuff in your air box!!!
Very not bad!!!! That would get around the screens that everyone should have on their inlets to keep the mice out Too!!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Good god, if you have mice, eliminate them. They'll eat your wires and everything, the nest is just part of the problem. Look into bucket traps, use rv antifreeze instead of water.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have had an Endoscope for years that connects to my phone. Great detail and very clear. Check my filter from time to time. Takes but 10 minutes to see how the filter looks.
Cost me $35 or so and it gets plenty of use. Great to find dropped screws on the bike also.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Common sense says:
If your going to go through the trouble just to use a Boroscope.

Why not just change the Filter every 25-30,000 mikes?

At least you'd have a baseline for where you ride!

BTW- no Boroscope can show how much junk there is in the bottom of the pleats!

BTDT, have the unused boroscope in the drawer!

OTOH. a scope will tell you if a mouse is not paying rent on that airfilter apartment!
Many of us have purchased used bikes with no maintenance records. Mine has 30K miles and I’ve replaced/checked everything I can get to. I have a new air-filter but hesitate to disassemble half the bike only to find a nearly new filter in place.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Many of us have purchased used bikes with no maintenance records. Mine has 30K miles and I’ve replaced/checked everything I can get to. I have a new air-filter but hesitate to disassemble half the bike only to find a nearly new filter in place.
I can understand what your saying.

I bought a bike with 15,000 miles.

I took it all apart and inspected every maintenance item. and serviced everything.
At 15,000 it got a new air filter! lot of junk in the pleats! (Bike was from up north.)

Now I had a base line to go from , for my own records. (y)

It's only work to get at the air filter if you look at it that way? (I do not)

·
Registered
148 Posts
when my bike was new, the first air filter change there was mice in it. So, I did the screen over the air intake trick. No more mice, also not getting a borescope in there now... :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts