GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Where I live there isn't much traffic, and I find myself sitting at red lights alot, often until another car happens along. Do these things work, or are they like deer whistles?

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=9151&str=4

I use them on all my motorcycles, they work "GREAT"
riding here in the Blue Ridge mountains. Some big cities
they don't work at every light, but in small towns and
out in the country on small back roads they work great.

Our local BMW dealer can't keep enough of them in
stock, everyone here loves the things...

Enjoy, no matter what you choose to do"

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Move to Tennessee, where we can go through a red light after ascertaining that your bike does not trigger a controlled light, and the passage is safe. Many states are beginning to follow suit with their laws. Maybe someday the US DOT will mandate it.

I've read that many people stop near the wire, and put the kickstand down over it to trigger it. Of course, you have to be in neutral, which is dangerous at a light!

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
just run the light after 1 cycle

·
Registered
40 Posts
I try doing the kickstand trick first. If that doesn't work I run the light. I've been pulled over for doing this. It was a hassle to convince the officer that I was already there for 3 cycles before I ran it. He finally let me go.

·
Registered
603 Posts
There is more than one system in use to detect the presence of a vehicle. While it will work very well on a particular type of system, it is by no means going to cycle them all.

I say snake oil.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would go with the snake oil as I have installed these loop detectors and they don't require much metal to trigger. The centerstand on the GL is more than enough to trip the sensors.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Move to Tennessee, where we can go through a red light after ascertaining that out bike does not trigger a controlled light, and the passage is safe. Many states are beginning to follow suit with their laws. Maybe someday the US DOT will mandate it.

I've read that many people stop near the wire, and put the kickstand down over it to trigger it. Of course, you have to be in neutral, which is dangerous at a light!
PA now has the same law....at LAST!!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Sometimes the sensitivity of the wire loop can be adjusted, hence the fact that some work and some don't. I had a green lite trigger on my 03, and it was a total waste of money. Trying to get the county to adjust the one right outside my work.

·
Registered
470 Posts
North Carolina passed the traffic signal passage law (Senate Bill 1359) on Dec. 1, 2007. It says that if you waited for 3 minutes and the signal didn't trip, and the intersection is clear, you can procede with the turn. I keep a copy on the bike in case there is a LEO who isn't familiar with this particular law. Semper-fi

·
Registered
118 Posts
Okay, I'll bite. Just what the hell is snake oil?
:shrug::oops:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Okay, I'll bite. Just what the hell is snake oil?
:shrug::oops:
A term of derision used to imply that a product doesn't live up to its marketed benefits. Like the elixirs of bygone days that were supposed to cure everything. I guess some were suppose to contain snake oil as an active ingredient, hence the term.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I'm going to get a bunch of magnets, grind them up and polish them into tiny little beads and then sell them on the internet.

Magna-Beads! You put them in your tires! They balance your wheels AND cause every traffic light in the Continental U.S. to turn green AT THE SAME TIME!!! No more waiting for red lights or whining about tire wobble!!! Not only that, but they'll suck ALL the moisture out of your soggy ShamWOW cloths!!! Deer whistles? WHO NEEDS DEER WHISTLES?!?!?! With Magna-Beads deer won't just avoid your motorcycle, they'll commit Seppuku (while dancing the Funky Chicken!) whenever you come withing 10,000 yards of them!!!!!!!! Not only that, but Magna-Beads will be SO STRONG that they'll cause Billy Mays' beard to BURST INTO FLAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Plus, if you ACT NOW, you'll get this entire set of STEAK KNIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HURRY!!! SUPPLIES ARE LIMITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Banned
3,197 Posts
This is personal anecdotal and may or may not work in your situation or locale.

After going though this three or four times and seeing traffic line up behind me, I noticed that if I pulled up as close to the curb as possible (within reason) I would trip the traffic light. If I pulled up and ended up in the middle of the lane or furthest away from the curb, the light never cycled.

I concluded (at this particular off ramp) that the sensor was located nearest the curb where the traffic engineer probably placed it to minimize the distance from the traffic light.

I'm not implying that this technique would work everywhere. In some cases the sensor may be placed opposite where you would imagine.

Point to consider however is that in theory there (could be, should be) will be a place in that lane where the sensor will pick up the mass of your bike.

The idea behind the magnet (they are selling) is to present a larger magnetic field to the sensor which should cycle the traffic light from a greater distance from the sensor. It does work in the sense that it improves the odds of the sensor noticing your bike. The problem I have with the product is not that it is a magnet, the problem I have is that it is being marketed as though it is something much more than a magnet and at a retail price where you feel like you should have taken a handful of them off the refrigerator and saved yourself $19.95.

No offense to "Direct Line Parts". I imagine the magnet light changer really helps the smaller bikes more than the GW.

·
Banned
3,197 Posts
I'm going to get a bunch of magnets, grind them up and polish them into tiny little beads and then sell them on the internet.

Magna-Beads! You put them in your tires! They balance your wheels AND cause every traffic light in the Continental U.S. to turn green AT THE SAME TIME!!! No more waiting for red lights or whining about tire wobble!!! Not only that, but they'll suck ALL the moisture out of your soggy ShamWOW cloths!!! Deer whistles? WHO NEEDS DEER WHISTLES?!?!?! With Magna-Beads deer won't just avoid your motorcycle, they'll commit Seppuku (while dancing the Funky Chicken!) whenever you come withing 10,000 yards of them!!!!!!!! Not only that, but Magna-Beads will be SO STRONG that they'll cause Billy Mays' beard to BURST INTO FLAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Plus, if you ACT NOW, you'll get this entire set of STEAK KNIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HURRY!!! SUPPLIES ARE LIMITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And if you order in the next 20 minutes we'll double your order (just pay shipping and handling). :p

·
Registered
117 Posts
Anybody Use These Things

You mean my deer whistles aren't really working. Thought they were. Haven't hit a deer yet, but there aren't many deer running around Ft. Lauderdale.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I wonder if adding a stainless steel belly pan trips the wires that signal the traffic light to change. Anyone know?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts

That's very funny....can you add Dr. Phil to that list please....then I'll buy one!

Mark

1 - 20 of 42 Posts