GL1800Riders Forums banner

Anybody using Motorola MA1 for wireless Andoid Auto?

6K views 39 replies 15 participants last post by  Wheelman38! 
#1 ·
Is anybody on this forum using the motorola MA1 to wirelessly connect the Goldwing 2018+ Android Auto and can confirm it works as well as this youtube video shows?

In the video the connection seems to be pretty quick, plus the motorola device stays connected to the bike usb all the time. No need to take it in and out. For me to be able to successfully connect my phone to my bike via android auto I have to wait at least 20sec after I hear the message "Phone 1 connected" in my headset before plugging my phone to the usb connector otherwise I get the message that Android Auto could not connect because of missing headset although I know my headset is connected because I can hear the first message through it. Also I would like to know if the wireless connection stayssolid while riding. If this device works as well as in the video this would be fantastic add on

Reactions: Jefro1
#8 ·
I like it! Works phenomenally well...

Turn on bike, turn on helmet, get dressed - it's all paired and rockin by the time I get going!

#13 ·
Interesting. Thank you for posting your findings Alain.

Just to clarify, it isn't Honda's decision to insist on a headset being connected. That is an Android and Apple requirement to ensure you have a microphone with which to communicate verbal commands to your phone. It's been discussed many times in these forums. But it still stinks.

@ANDREW T. Could you check your conversations/messages. I've been trying to contact you.

#7 ·
Thank you Zack for posting this video, this is extremely helpful. The headset and phone connect/disconnect requirement for Android Auto is one of the very few issues that bother me on my 2018 GW so this solution is going to solve one of these issues. The other issue that annoys me is the low FM Radio signal reception which makes the radio basically unusable. I have tried to relocate the antenna, add an amplifier but none of these really worked but with this wireless Android auto solution the radio issue will become less of a problem for me. Otherwise I really love my bike. I have had many bikes in my lifetime and this one checks all the boxes.
By the way my hardwired Android Auto also disconnects from time to time and I never figured out why.

Reactions: Jefro1
#12 · (Edited)
Yesterday I got the MA1 I ordered on ebay and tested it today. After going through the pairing process i turned of my bike and my headset and left the MA1 plugged to the bike USB in the glove box, which is where I intend to leave it all the time. I then turned my headset on first and then my bike. I could hear in the headset that phone 1 was connected which meant obviously that my headset was also connected. About 20secs later I got the message that Android connection failed because headset was not connected, although it was since I heard the previous message in it. I waited for about 20 more secs and then I got the message that android auto had connected. I did the same test several times and went through the exact same sequence of events. At the end Android Auto always successfully connected after a first failed attempt and after about 40secs of waiting, I can live with that, just need to be patient. The Android Auto connection is definitely pretty finicky on the Goldwing. Also I dont understand the reasoning behind enabling Android Auto to connect only when a headset is connected. The guy who designed this thing must have had a good reason to add that specific piece of logic in the system but I really dont get it 🙂

#30 ·
Do you pair your phone with the bike as well as the MA/1 and does it work fine from the trunk if phone in the front or in a pocket ? I get you paid MA/1 with phone but does the bike require the phone to be paired with it as well . Will have 2 headsets plus phone plus potentially usb music stick so trying to work out where they all go !!!

#14 · (Edited)
So several rides and almost a week after installing the MA1 it is a success and I can confirm what I was saying in my last post. I have left the device in the glove box connected to the USB plug all the time. I go through the same routine every time, I turn the bike on and my headset on, 20 sec later I hear the message in my headset that phone 1 is connected then about 30sec later I get the message on the screen that Android Auto failed because headset was not connected, which again is not true since my headset is connected, then another 30 to 40sec later I get another message on the screen indicating that Android Auto has connected and then everything is fine. Once the wireless connection is established with Android Auto I never lost it and any of my rides including a 2h one today. It is really nice not to have to connect and disconnec your phone all the time to make this Android Auto work.

#16 ·
I have had my Motorola MA1 for a few weeks, and it is SO nice.
I leave my Samsung S21 phone on my belt or in the trunk, and it auto connects and works very well.
Don't have to plug in the phone with the hardwire in the warm front cubby anymore, and I can navigate to a destination just by holding the Call Button while in Google Maps.
There is a bit of a learning curve to get around in the Android Auto menu, but not too difficult while moving.
Very nice indeed.

#19 ·
Also, and this one caught me out, in Settings under Connected Devices, Connection Preferences, Android Auto... Scroll down to the bottom and under the System heading the is a switch for Wireless Android Auto. Be sure to turn in ON because mine was off by default.
Product Font Screenshot Technology Number

Edit: That's on my Moto-G9+ running Android 11. Might be different on other phones.

#24 ·

For those who use the MA1... anyone have experience with using it in extreme heat?

Went on an all day ride in 95° heat and my android phone lasted about 30 min +/- before shutting down due to overheating.

MA1 may be the solution, but when temps around these parts hit 115°+, I'm wondering if it will have the same problem as the phone.

Thanks for any thoughts!

#29 ·
View attachment 420986

For those who use the MA1... anyone have experience with using it in extreme heat?

Went on an all day ride in 95° heat and my android phone lasted about 30 min +/- before shutting down due to overheating.

MA1 may be the solution, but when temps around these parts hit 115°+, I'm wondering if it will have the same problem as the phone.

Thanks for any thoughts!
I don't have a problem, here in Las Vegas. On hotter days, I plug my phone into the left saddlebag (USB port in there to keep it charged), and it works great. Avoids the heat coming off the engine, dunno if that matters.

I also have an LG V60, perhaps it's better with higher heat.

#25 ·
We're coming into winter here now but I used my MA1 right thru last summer and it performed flawlessly. My phone is a Moto-G4plus and sits in the trunk and no overheating problem there either. I don't think it got over 100°F ambient here but the MA1 doesn't appear to produce any significant heat.

I consider the MA1 to be the best accessory you can have (for Android users) because it makes the whole system work as it should.

#26 ·
We're coming into winter here now but I used my MA1 right thru last summer and it performed flawlessly. My phone is a Moto-G4plus and sits in the trunk and no overheating problem there either. I don't think it got over 100°F ambient here but the MA1 doesn't appear to produce any significant heat.
Thanks for the info, sounds promising! I was hoping it wouldn't produce as much heat as a phone. However,I am more concerned about how it will deal with being in a black cubby in 115°+ heat. Inside the cubby, I would bet it gets upwards of 140°+ & my Samsung S22+ sure can't deal with it.
I consider the MA1 to be the best accessory you can have (for Android users) because it makes the whole system work as it should.
This has been the impression I got reading past threads, and I hope it's a solution for me here in the desert. Just wanted to get real world experience from riders who deal with sun & heat before I drop almost $100 bucks on one.

Reactions: AussieChris
#28 ·
From the description of the 1Mii I can see on Amazon this is totally different. The 1Mii transmits via bluetooth only the sound of an audio source to a receiver audio device like a bluetooth heaset for example. This would not enable AA to work. The Motorola MA1 fully emulates your phone connection through Bluetooth. The MA1 makes your bike thinks the phone is wired connected and therefore enables all the functions that a wired connected phone would provide. I have been using the MA1 for a year now and I love it. It has been working flawlessly all that time. I keep the MA1 connected to the USB socket in the glove box all the time. I have not touched it since I installed it. I have been riding in hot weather last summer without any issue.

#32 ·
Oh interesting - I think I will plug the MA/1 I glove box for now and see. It's a special USB port in the trunk isn't it To create a new one did you move that one or which additional type did you buy and did you just plug it into the battery ? It's quite confusing have two headset me and other half so I am think connect the headsets to bike and the MA/1 to my phone and that's it 🤷 not sure if we will be able to speak to each other but I guess Sena can connect to bike and other headset at the same time 👍

#34 ·
Do you pair your phone with the bike as well ...?
Yes, you have to, since otherwise, the MA1 won`t get started.

... does it work fine from the trunk if phone in the front or in a pocket ?
...I have plugged the MA1 into the USB port in the trunk (airbag model) and bonded it with the adhesive pad to the left inner trunk panel. I carry my phone in the left pocket of my riding jacket. The MA1 works fine, but there will be some rare occasional hiccups (aka interruptions). One of the positive things about this device is, that it will reconnect without plugging in and out and in and out and ...

...I get you paid MA/1 with phone but does the bike require the phone to be paired with it as well .
Well, not the bike requires the phone to be paired, but the MA1 does (see my first answer).

...Will have 2 headsets plus phone plus potentially usb music stick so trying to work out where they all go !!!
If you own a 2020 plus GW, you can plug the USB stick into the second port in the left saddlebag. If your Wing is from 2018/19, I would recommend to run the Honda USB cord into the trunk.

Using the MA1 will drain the battery of the cell phone a little bit faster, but this is not a big issue for me. Usually, I start my ride with fully charged devices. During a short coffee break, I recharge phone and headset with a portable jump starter/charger (highly recommended for Gen 6 owners) and I`m good to go for the rest of the day.

Kind regards from a happy MA1 user.

#35 ·
Yes, you have to, since otherwise, the MA1 won`t get started.

...I have plugged the MA1 into the USB port in the trunk (airbag model) and bonded it with the adhesive pad to the left inner trunk panel. I carry my phone in the left pocket of my riding jacket. The MA1 works fine, but there will be some rare occasional hiccups (aka interruptions). One of the positive things about this device is, that it will reconnect without plugging in and out and in and out and ...

Well, not the bike requires the phone to be paired, but the MA1 does (see my first answer).

If you own a 2020 plus GW, you can plug the USB stick into the second port in the left saddlebag. If your Wing is from 2018/19, I would recommend to run the Honda USB cord into the trunk.

Using the MA1 will drain the battery of the cell phone a little bit faster, but this is not a big issue for me. Usually, I start my ride with fully charged devices. During a short coffee break, I recharge phone and headset with a portable jump starter/charger (highly recommended for Gen 6 owners) and I`m good to go for the rest of the day.

Kind regards from a happy MA1 user.
Cheers for this it's a 2022 - will get a jump starter there's one which doubles as a tyre inflator as well 👍

#37 ·
...and see what happens.
At least nothing what has to do with the MA1.

Don't understand how the phone can connect to MA/1 and the bike anyway 🤷
This device sets up a WLAN connection and communicates via WiFi with the phone.

And as mentioned in the earlier posts, check if Android Auto Wireless is enabled on your phone.