• Stork

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Womb

• Taking one's boots off

• Undecided

Anyone analyzed the protocol to the CB or the CD changer?

5K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  salyzyn 
#1 ·
Has anyone analyzed the protocol to the CB or the CD changer? If you have a protocol or logic analyzer at hand, would you be willing to acquire the traces?

The 2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800 6 CD Changer has the following pinout on C32 (coalesced schematic information from Service and ETM manuals):

1 - Bus B/U
2 - Bus Sys Acc
3 - Bus GND
4 - Bus Shield
5 - Bus Rch+
6 - Bus Lch+
7 - Bus B/U
8 - Bus Illumi
9 - Bus +
10-Bus -
11-Bus Gnd
12- N/C
13-Bus Rch-
14-Bus Lch-

Where shields on pin 4 protects pins 5, 6, 13 & 14
shields on pins 3 & 11 protect pins 9 & 10

The communications is supposedly a `Honda Standard' for the Bus+ and Bus-; but have found no details on that standard. I have hopes that one could interface a popular MP3 player with the controls feeding back for selection (a vacuum in the market is now identified).

The 2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800 CB Radio has the following pinout on it's interface cable (coalesced schematic information from Service and ETM manuals):

1 - CB Mic Audio
2 - CB Mic GND
3 - CB SI
4 - CB Audio
5 - CB Audio GND
6 - CB Starter Mute
7 - CB DET
8 - CB SCK
9 - CB PTT
10-CB Shield
11-CB Audio Mute
12-CB SO
13-CB PERM
14- N/C

Where shield on pin 2 protects pins 1 & 9
shield on pin 5 protects pin 4
shield on pin 10 protects pins 3, 6, 7, 8, 11, 12 & 13

Unsure what some of the signals do. CB PERM? CB Audio Mute (does it mute the stereo, or is it the reverse to mute the CB)? and CB DET (maybe this mutes the stereo)? But the necessary communication Protocol would transpire over the CB SCK, CB SI and CB SO lines. My hopes are to connect Cell Phone, GPS, FRS and/or HAM equipment up instead of a CB.

I know, purchasing these components if I can get the logistics of also procuring a logic analyzer, then later selling the components on eBay is an option. But one hopes for easy/cheap wisdom first. Never hurts to ask ...

See less See more
#2 ·
#4 ·
I have so many special needs ...

I checked with PIE.net (the manufacturer of the units you get from logjam), they initially said `we have one', but once I sent them the pinout I got a reply indicating they did not.

I am still waiting for a reply from blitzsafe. I am resending with additional details (I described the connector, it's more of an 18 pin connector with a key notch on one row, and the other row has a cutout area effectively removing 3 pins for the retaining clip).

The Kennedy boxes were considered, but either connect to the Aux input (no audio override of stereo, must select AUX), or into the Intercom system (does not feed over the speakers). They may be the solution in the end, but I would like to explore the possibilities of these other interfaces if possible. Living in Florida, I have gotten used to no helmets (ghasp) and want speaker audio as a result.

I purchased (and will probably soon return) the NeoChanger10MP3 unit. It did *not* have a compatible connector, the Honda 14-pin is a totally different style. I will explore with their technical support people before returning the unit.

#6 ·
Warrantee? I don't need no steenking warrantee!

I had considered your approach. Integration into the motorcycle wiring is a must, I am getting tired of removing my MP3 player from the left pouch every time I stop at my destination(s).

My wife once caught me using a propane torch to desolder the VCO cage shield cap off on my brand new (at the time) $2.5K IC-751A HF rig. But for my brand new $18K GL1800, instead of dewiring the connectors, I'd prefer to sniff the keyboard matrix with a PIC processor and use it to drive the individual control signals appropriately. This would allow coexistence. In this case, I may be able to get by if I could `trick' the CD and CB selector buttons to act as if the hardware was attached (the protocol may still be the key) to treat them as additional auxiliary inputs. If not, by sniffing on the keyboard matrix scan, I could always use them to switch audio into the AUX input. I still do not get the `CB' audio override if I wimp out and use the CB switch as a hint to the AUX switcher.

Additional status update just moments ago, I discovered that ssiamerica.com (NeoChanger) responds to installation calls 24 hours a day. They appear willing to work with me to get the right connector. I just forwarded them a snapshot of the 24mm x 11.5mm connector http://bohica.homeip.net:591/~mark/down ... rfront.jpg and they indicated that they will call me tomorrow. Hopefully the call will be to inform me that they have a matching connector forthcoming ...

BTW, the connector pinout, confirmed with the wire color codes (excuse variable width font maladjusted art):

6 5 4 3 _ _ _ 2 1
14 13 12 _ 11 10 9 8 7

Edit: updated broken link

#8 ·
Plans of Mice & Men

Thanks for the information!

Well, that affects the odds :-(

I'll `regroup' my enthusiasm and plans after reports from ssiamerica and blitzsafe!

#9 ·
NeoChanger10MPG looks like it will soon be compatible!

Good News!!!

The connector is the `new' Prelude style, according to the people at ssiamerica. They indicate that the Engineer is currently making and testing the necessary minor Firmware Changes in support of the Prelude, and that they will get the order of cables in soon, *most* *likely* (either way) on March 24th. They offer no promises except to have this resolved before my 30 day return window is up.

My next problem is to fit the unit into the CD Changer area, one problem being that their unit is *very* tight and the cable connects to the side of the CD Changer making it difficult to install; and it's 3.375" height places it flush with the bottom of the trunk making it impossible to use the cover door (without either making a thin aluminum panel to replace it, or a cutting out a 7.5" by 9.375" hole into the door). Until I confirm proper operation, I am not going to invest anytime with any of these mechanical difficulties. I am willing to forgo using the CD cubby for the changer if necessary ...

Folks, it looks like we will have a $240 10 CD/CD-R/CD-RW/MP3 direct connect aftermarket Changer available for the GoldWing!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.