GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, all:

I have a 2018 Tour DCT, and I love it. I came from a 2017 Harley Davidson Street Glide Special. I feel like it would be fun to have a second bike-a cruiser. I window-shopped a 2022 Indian Chief Yesterday. Definitely a naked, back to basics feel that it would complement the Goldwing nicely.

Unfortunately, naked doesn’t mean cheap: $16k out the door without any additional lighting accessories. Ouch.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
I have a 05 Honda VTX1300S as my second bike. Have ridden it only a couple times since buying my Wing last June. May decide to sell it.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
When I purchased my Wing I had full intentions of getting rid of my VTX. 11 years later I still have it. I use it exclusively when riding solo.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I have a 2010 Wing, and years ago; looked into having a second bike, especially since my Wing was going to be in the shop for several weeks. I had 3 specific requirements. Shaft, water cooled, and fuel injected. I got that in a 2005 Suzuki M50 Boulevard. I ended up realizing that this bike really did not fit what I want in a bike. A couple years later, I found that Honda wanted me to keep my 2010 much longer than I thought I would ever need to with the 2018 "Sport Tour" that they refuse to call it such. This told me that I really needed to find another bike that I could make much better use of as a "second bike" instead of the M50. I gave different bikes a look and ended up coming to the conclusion that my best fit could be with an ST-1800 that Honda calls a 2018 Goldwing. After all, years ago, I did consider an ST-1300 as a second bike. I did ride the new bike cross country a few months after I got it; however, it really confirmed to me that it is not a full Touring class bike. So, my 2010 is the bike for longer multiple day trips, 2018 is for going to work, sometimes shopping, and a day ride would be either one. The M50 still does a good bit of sitting connected to a battery maintainer. Instead of the 25K miles on one bike for the year, I am putting 10K miles on the 2010, 15K miles on the "ST", and a few hundred on the M50. Once the fear of covid starts to fade, I will post the M50 for sale.

The position above has more to do with where they tend to be in the garage and what direction I was able to take the picture. But the two Wings may switch depending on which one last pulled my Tailwind. The center bike is the one that needs to be out to pull out the trailer.

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
1,333 Posts
I am tempted by the new Rebel 1100 DCT...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Oh yes, the Goldwing is the ultimate highway bike, but that's about it.
I had a Suzuki 800 that I hated to part with, but my KLR 650 fills the gap that the wing isn't made for.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I love my 2010 wing but also love my VTX 1800C, great for short cruises with my local group Both have different power bands, the Wing is so smooth and the VTX is just raw power. If I need a change then it is my 75 CB 750K, that is for nostaglia when I was soooo much younger and that was huge bike. Having more than one is really fun and something that I am glad I can do. You have some great looking bikes and I can tell you love the second and thirds for what they offer. I always wanted to get a 175 or a 250 scooter to ride to work with a set of Gomer Googles and a quarter helmet, just for the fun of it and to harass my friends because it is a scooter! Life is short so get it done while you can.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I keep my 75 around as my second bike. Usually I will have a project bike around also. Currently that is a 83 Wing.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I've had a wing since 1983. Always wanted a second bike but couldn't afford it until recently. So I bought an 18 manual. Someday I will buy another brand bike, maybe. My mistake was to buy a wing when I was only 32. I should of bought everything else first.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
This is my other bike, not a cruiser but it sure goes to interesting places!
View attachment 382896
I have no desire for a "cruiser" style second (or any other number) bike either.
Locally there are jillions of miles of back country gravel and forestry roads, most of which I haven't ever been on or it's been years ago on snowmobile. The 650 V-Strom was cheap, durable, well supported by the aftermarket and "dual purpose/adventure" to get me to the fun stuff and still have decent road capability. So far, I'm liking taking it places I won't ever take the Wing. The care factor is greatly reduced.
Took the factory trunk off for 95% of the time. It's very large. Had a couple CanAm Spyder tank/trunk bags from an auction sale that adapted for normal daily use.
IMG_2095.JPG

·
Registered
324 Posts
My 2nd bike would be a 1300 V Star Tourer but with no discount on the insurance for a 2nd bike I will never own 2 bikes in Ontario

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just found a CB1100 with low mileage about a month ago. I had been looking at Adventure bikes and my wife found this when we stopped at a local dealer. My eyes kit up and she knew it was coming home. It reminds me of my 1975 CB750 and you can really lay them down in the turns - so much better than our heavy Ultra Classic. Their paint color are almost an exact match.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts