GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One reason that I bought me a new Wing several months ago was because of their track record in reliability. Very important with a touring bike. I want never to have to worry about a break down due to an engine failure.

Now then, even though we know that Goldwings can run into the 300K range, have any of you had or know of someone that had a Wing engine hand grenade on them? I am talking total catastrophic engine failure.

Mind you this includes the 4 banger Wings as well. With the want ads just full of 30+ year old Goldwings still running wonderfully, I can't help but wonder if there every was one that lunched itself.

Anyone?

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Don't Know

Don't know of any myself that have blown but mine has a lot of miles on it and I plan to ride it until it quits so will let you know :) I think the engine will be the least of your worries as you add the miles.

Donnie

·
Registered
964 Posts
Nothing catastrophic, but I had to replace the engine on an '81 GL1100I that I bought at an auction. It was leaking oil, and had been run too low. Some of the cam lobes were about half ground off , it was low power and had a bad knock. I found a used engine for it down south in Iowa.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Engine NO.Tranny blew up big time so Honda had to put a new engine in my bike under warranty.

Second gear came apart in several pieces taking out the shifter fork shaft (was bent in a U ) ,that tore up the rest of the gears,that busted the cases,the gear pieces flying around busted a piston skirt.Is that a blown engine. :shrug:

95K was mileage.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Well as some of the transmissions fly apart, that is just as bad. You have to pull and split the engine to repair.

Same difference.

One other I know of, guy running about 75 and downshifted to second , floated and bent the valves.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
There was a guy here about 4 years ago that had a GL1800 with a worn out cam. The bike had 150,000 miles on it, and the heads needed to be completely rebuilt. Considering the reliability reputation these engines have, and the fact that this wasn't actually a part failure, but wear, you pretty much have to come to the conclusion that he either badly abused the bike, or didn't do proper or regular maintenance on it.

The interesting part is that Honda refused to cover the repairs under the extended warranty because it was a wear problem, not a part failure. Wear is not covered under warranty.

A number of people questioned whether the story was even real, or just someone who invented a fictitious story to point out a loophole in the extended warranty. It was never verified to be real, and many just passed it off as Internet noise.

Anything can break, and I'm sure that as rare as it is, there are probably engines out there that have grenaded without external help. But it doesn't happen very often.

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
Larry; I, too, would be very skeptical of such a case if I were Honda. I would need to see service records and reciepts for parts and lubes that meet specs as published in the MOM.

prs

·
Registered
168 Posts
About ten years ago helped a man with a wing down on l05 near Lake Conroe.

Learned later he had fragged a left bank piston.

Can't remember if the bike was a 1500 or 1800.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
An '86 Aspencade with 76,000 miles. My first. I believe it was do to the previous owners abuse.
He lived in Chicago.
I still got what I payed for it 3 years earlier.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Over on the Valkyrie board a couple guys have fragged or blown their engine (1500) but that is because they put a "Blower or Turbo" on the engine as well as other engine mods.

I've got over 800K on goldwings and have never had a problem with blowning the engine. My 2006 has had the most repair and that has been self inflicted.

Charlie Morse
Land Elephant

·
15 year Member
6,867 Posts

:)

Matt(BCNV) :thumbup:

·
Registered
156 Posts
:yes1::yes1::yes1:
Now that was funny.....