GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a group ride last Saturday, stopped at a strip mall restaurant. Getting ready to leave, one of the Harleys caught fire (fuel leak ignited).

One of the group had enough presence of mind to dash into the hardware store next to the restaurant; store owner handed him a fire extinguisher; fire was put out with minimal damage. If it had happened out on the road, the guy would have lost his bike, since none of us had a fire extinguisher on board.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a small fire extinguisher suitable for keeping with the tool kit? Thanks!

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
well I carry one in my trailer when traveling, but not just around town..something to ponder......

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I carry a small (16oz) extinguisher called a Big Shot Fire Suppressant.
It claims to be Non-Toxic, Non Corrosive, Biodegradable, and Non-Hazardous. A & B fires HR-95 proprietary formula

MFG. Hawk International, Inc.
Gig Harbor, WA. 98335

They were selling them at an RV show a couple years ago. I liked that it was not powder, and put the fire out pretty good for what they could show in a building.http://www.survivalsuppliers.com/products/fire/little_bigshot.htm

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I got a couple halon extinguishers for the house. I put them on either side of the kitchen. My wife made little cozies that fit around them with the gauge sticking out of the top. That allowed me to mount it where I wanted. The cozies are closed with a couple threads so it can be ripped off, exposing the extinguisher in the bracket.

The halon or CO2 extinguishers are great for in the house where you might have a small grease fire and don't want to make a powdery mess.

For the bike, I would select one of the dry chemical extinguishers. Clean up is easy with a garden hose. Most likely the smallest you can find would be suitable. A quick response to a small fire is better than any response several seconds later.

I have seen a decent assortment of fire extinguishers at HOME DEPOT that are suitable for home use (kitchen and garage). You might look there first to see if there is something that you might like.

I would consider mounting the extinguisher in a saddlebag, horizontally, near the top. This would allow packing the bag from the bottom up and keep the extinguisher readily accessable.

Just a few thoughts.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I've carried a fire extingusher ever since we had a BRAND NEW Suzuki Cavalcade catch on fire while riding in our group....that was about 20 years ago! :shock:

His rear brake caliper stuck and his brakes got hot enough to flame which inturn caught his side bags on fire and then his trunk. We actually were able to extinguish the fire with a thermos full of coffee. The bike had maybe a 1000 miles on it. Suzuki covered it under warranty.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Good point, if someone can come up with a way to mount one without taking up storage space I wouls carry one. I carry one in allmy other vehicles. Storage on the GW is at a premium, I have the tire kit rain gear, first aid kit, taking up half the left side. My backseater gets all the right side , half the top, so this leaves me low on space....A fire extinguisher would take up even more room.. Any idea's??

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
I usually have some coffee or water to discharge unless there was a recent potty stop.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Fire extinguisher? I carry one- sometimes up to what seems like a quart..

The range is very short tho...

·
Registered
630 Posts
I carry one in my trailer.

Years ago I was touring with a buddy who was riding a Virago. It was a fairly long trip and we ended up stopping at a dealer in Colorado to change our oil in the parking lot.

On the Viragos there is a clip attached to one of the 3 bolts that secures the filter housing and on one bolt there is a retaining clip that is supposed to hold some of the bikes wiring off the exhaust. Well my buddy managed to put things back together so that when he tightened the filter bolts, rather than securing the wires out of harms way, the clip went directly through the wiring harness. Next thing he knows his bike is on fire!

Luckily one of the dealer’s mechanics was close by and saw what was going on and came running with a bucket of water.

He put the fire out and after we finally managed to stop laughing we put the bike back together properly and it continued to run just fine for the rest of the trip.

The same guy lit his hand on fire on the same trip refilling his zippo lighter but that's a different story :lol:

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I used to carry one on my old 78 Wing. earned brownie points when i entered the bike in the bike shows.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I carry insurance. Should cover the bike if it burns up. (Replacement value)

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Some of us carry small ones, like the loggers use for chain saws. Reason is the BLM/Forest Service require motorized vehicles on their roads to have one during fire season, and will accept on of these on a bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts