GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally... My Escapade Elite has arrived and I am picking it up next Saturday! At Wing Ding I decided to go with the Euro Tail lights on the Wing and decided to get an extra set for the trailer.

Has anybody changed out their tail lights on the Elite and have any pointers? Is it as easy as the Wing tail lights are or is there some form of a trick to it. I was told the the stock Elite tail lights are Honda OEM, so I am assuming I should not have a problem with fit, and am mostly concerned with access to the lights.

Any thoughts, hints or suggestions?

TIA,

Barry

·
Registered
303 Posts
It is one or 2 nuts that you remove in the cargo area and the lights drop right out, take only a few minutes to change

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
I would be curious as to the outcome of this. I have a freind who bought an 06 Wing and wanted the matching Escapade that the dealer had on the floor but it was a 05 model. The dealer said they called and the factory told them that they could not put the 06 lights in it.

Would you post if you were able to do it i am just nosy. I don't know why not as the two trailers look identical after they got their new 06 and the 05 was still at the dealer.

·
Registered
700 Posts
The 01-05 Honda factory OE taillight has a different bolt pattern and a different rear profile shape compared to the Honda 06 and later Honda factory OE taillight.

Escapade does not use Honda factory OE taillights, rather a off shore copy which is not DOT approved. The off shore copy of the Honda light and the Euro version (also off shore) have the 01-05 bolt pattern and rear profile shape, and neither will fit the 2006 or later GL1800 light pocket.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They may not be the same OEM tail lights, but they did have the exact same 3 bolt pattern as the OEM lights. I bought (2) sets of the after markets at the same time. both bolted up nicely. Here is a pic of the Escapade with one of each installed.

As you can see they look very nice and better than the original (So I think).

Barry

·
Registered
704 Posts
BAT1800 said:
They may not be the same OEM tail lights, but they did have the exact same 3 bolt pattern as the OEM lights. I bought (2) sets of the after markets at the same time. both bolted up nicely. Here is a pic of the Escapade with one of each installed.
How hard was it to get to the lights? Did you have to pull the carpet back? Is the carpet glued to the inside, or attached some other way? I haven't really looked at mine yet, but I want to put the Electrical Connections signal light conversion kit in so it will match my bike.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eric,

Actually this was the part I was worried about too. Come to find out, there are small holes where the bolts were. Also, I was sure to reseal (a little RTV silicone) the hole where the bolts came through.

And... Nice looking bike BTW! Gotta love that CBC...

·
Registered
704 Posts
How is the paint on your lid. I have a few issues with mine that I am trying to get CSC to take care of. The paint looks like the fiberglass underneath was not sanded smooth, and the pattern is showing through the paint in some places. Check your lid paint real close especially where it curves down on the sides.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
I am not going to bash here but just wanted to say good luck with trying to get CSC to help with a warranty issue as they are having quality control problems it seems.

I believe that my next trailer will be made in TN. and the person at the helm will respond if a problem occursof that I am sure.

And that is all I have to say about that!!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts