GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that the suspension is extremely soft on the bike. I started doing some research and see where there is an aftermarket suspension for the bike. I would like to know from someone that has actually done the upgrade and get their opinion. So if any have done this upgrade, please let me know your findings. This sounds like a good winter project!

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have done the upgrade. It really sharpens the overall suspension on the bike. There is no more bottoming. The front shock is a lot less bouncy and the bike settles down better in the turns. Passenger performance is much better too.

In my opinion it’s a very good investment if you’re planning on keeping the bike for a while and riding the crap out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jryan19

·
Registered
281 Posts
With the Traxxion shocks installed, does the electronic rear suspension preload adjustment feature still work? And does Sport mode still stiffen up compression and rebound damping?

·
Registered
369 Posts
The preload adjustment is still there but the sport mode adjustment of the front is not. The sport mode adjustment did so little adjusting it wasn’t worth having it anyway. With the suspension upgrade the improvement is highly noticeable across all modes. Really no need for that adjustment anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: laen

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I've installed the Traxxion shock upgrade on many 2018 and 2019 Gold Wings. It's a huge improvement over stock. I'm located in Mountain Home, Arkansas. Let me know if I can be of service.
can a shorter spring be installed or cut with the traxxion system to regain the lower height lost? or would you lose the advantages of the new suspension?

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
can a shorter spring be installed or cut with the traxxion system to regain the lower height lost? or would you lose the advantages of the new suspension?

I can set the shock up with less initial pre-load when I install it if you want the bike to sit lower. One of the nice features about the Traxxion shock is that the initial pre-load setting is adjustable. They also have different spring rates available, so it can be fine tuned to your weight and riding style.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
There are probably several Traxxion threads here with good info, and yes, I have it on my '18.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Everything that has been said here is spot on:thumbup: The DCT is a game changer as is the Traxxion suspension.

Reactions: dudleydoo

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've installed the Traxxion shock upgrade on many 2018 and 2019 Gold Wings. It's a huge improvement over stock. I'm located in Mountain Home, Arkansas. Let me know if I can be of service.
Thanks Fred! I need to get your maintenance videos! I am in Hot Springs. I was going to have these installed but there is not a good shop in my area to do the work. I used your videos to help me rebuild my front end and replace my back shock on my 01 so I will probably tackle this project this winter if I can find the time,

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had full Traxxion suspension up grade done on my manual 2018 GW , 18000 miles later I trade the manual for a DCT (thanks Russellville Honda), After about 500 miles with the standard suspension I up graded to Traxxion the difference with ,and without Traxxion was SO VERY NOTICEABLE.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Literally finished installing TD shocks and tie rod yesterday. Wish I could say the weather has been nice enough to allow for a ride...

Install is time consuming but certainly not impossible for your average DIY'er. If anything, the 'hardest' part was figuring out the best method for rebuilding the manual preload adjuster.

Attachments

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
Thanks Fred! I need to get your maintenance videos! I am in Hot Springs. I was going to have these installed but there is not a good shop in my area to do the work. I used your videos to help me rebuild my front end and replace my back shock on my 01 so I will probably tackle this project this winter if I can find the time,

I'm not very far away from you, and I can do it in a day.

·
Vendor
17,822 Posts
If you are short legged, another option is a rear lowering kit offered by Schroader's Honda. The kit is simple to install and comes with 2 links. If I recall, the kit is about $200. Installing the links and re-aiming the headlamps after takes about 1hr. Schroader's claims it lowers the rear 1.5-2.0". I've installed a few of those also. Riders with shorter legs like them. From my experience, a rider would have to ride pretty aggressive to drag a lot of metal with them.

They replace parts 8 and 9 in the fish below.

https://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/hon/5b8f064587a8661554428748/rear-shock-absorber

Attachments

Reactions: Drgsin

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have noticed that the suspension is extremely soft on the bike.
Have you tried stiffening the current suspension by going to rider plus luggage or even to rider plus passenger?

I've had the Traxxion suspension for about 6k miles. The original suspension was more plush, the Traxxion more sporty.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have you tried stiffening the current suspension by going to rider plus luggage or even to rider plus passenger?

I've had the Traxxion suspension for about 6k miles. The original suspension was more plush, the Traxxion more sporty.
Yep. I ride aggressive and this suspension is way too soft. I love the bike but the suspension is garbage. Thats ok, I will get it changed out so the bike will handle the way I want. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Literally finished installing TD shocks and tie rod yesterday. Wish I could say the weather has been nice enough to allow for a ride...

Install is time consuming but certainly not impossible for your average DIY'er. If anything, the 'hardest' part was figuring out the best method for rebuilding the manual preload adjuster.
Way to go!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
To you guys that have done the TD suspension upgrade, would it be easier to do it with the bike at floor level or on a lift? Planning on doing this upgrade hopefully this winter and was just wondering.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts