GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I visited a big biker outlet and tried on lots of helmets. My favorite, by far, was the Shoei Hornet. This is an "adventure" helmet with a big sun blocking visor, a huge opening and nice face shield. Does anyone, anyone else, tour with or like this style? To me, they seem like the best of an open face with the best of a full face.

See the Shoei Hornet here.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I own two dual sport helmets and I wouldn't even think about riding my GW with one of these...unless of course you just want to have your head ripped off your body. The visors catch wind like crazy and most of the shields have some distortion due to the radical shape required to fit the konger chin bar - maybe acceptable for ds riding, but most people wouldn't accept distortion on a street helmet. JMHO

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Got to be a little careful with the visor, they tend to catch the air and lift the helmet at speed.

If you are racing or dirt biking, you don't notice it much because your attention is elsewhere, droning down a highway, you'll start to notice it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I also like a helmet with a visor. At present I have an Arai full face which is new enough to not need replaced. My answer was to use electrical tape to hold a old Bell moto 4 visor in place. I also do not use the shield unless it is very cold. Most folks probably think it is hoaky at best but it works for me. Behind the wing windshield it does not get a lot of wind. When replacement time comes I will be looking at helmets with visors.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Dual Sport

I have had two Arai XD and XD 3's and reason I went from two down to one is because i wore out the lining. I find the visor is not the slightest problem. The helmet is quite comfortable but the best thing is the sun shield. It keeps the sun off my face and I don't have to look directly into the sun as the days get longer. I am 6'1 245 and I have not had any wind problems with the sleepy session.

I have not seen anything better IMHO than the arai XD3 is one the little "she" likes. and I might be interested in yet another new XD 3, etc etc, In high vis lime green. And I would not hesitate to buy a flag or flag mount to go on the back of the bike. My wing has 56000 on the meter and I wonder how this will play out. I am definately seeing that a lot of things can go wrong. I like it.

·
Banned
939 Posts
Check out these first the Mulitec.

They are like a literal 2 in 1 deal. The whole front half piviots up to have a full open face or down for closed face.

I love this helmet.

Some say it looks funky up but my comfort comes first and I don't think I will trade this style out unless something better comes along.

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Helmet.aspx?Multitec&h=13&t=1

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I had a Shoei Hornet when I had my KLR, I really liked it. Never tried it on the Wing but it was a great helmet. Unfortunately, it met with a mesquite tree out in the desert and got banged up pretty good. Sure glad I had it, that could have been my head.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I use a product called The supervisor. I like it cause it can go on any helmet. It mounts to the faceshield with two sided tape.You can mount it exsactley were you want it. Icon makes a dual sport helmet. I love the looks. Best air flow of any helmet I've owned. Sunvisor was totally nonfunctional.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Bullchit on all of the posts in re the visor jerking your head off...

I've been riding with the Hornet DS for over 2 years now with no problems at all. It is the best helmet I've ever had, and I've worn it on all of my bikes (Wing, Shadow ACE, CB900C, and my BMW R1200GS) in all speed conditions. In fact, I just wore it for a week while on a 5-country tour through the Alps... including a 40 klick ride on the Autobahn at nearly 200kph.

As long as the bike you're riding has a decent windscreen, you'll have no problems at all.

·
Registered
388 Posts
:cool: Just remembered I have a nice new white Arai XD that I haven't worn in awhile...Gave my KLR to my son in law and never used the Arai after that...I'm going to give it a try on my Wing...thanks for the idea

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
I own two dual sport helmets and I wouldn't even think about riding my GW with one of these...unless of course you just want to have your head ripped off your body. The visors catch wind like crazy and most of the shields have some distortion due to the radical shape required to fit the konger chin bar - maybe acceptable for ds riding, but most people wouldn't accept distortion on a street helmet. JMHO

I only ride with my Arai XD3 I get no distortion, the visor never catchs wind and it has better air flow then my open face helmet! The bad is I have to stop to drink out of my cup.
You should actually try riding with one on the GW before you make these kind of statements, then you might know what your talking about. Then again you should get a GW first!

·
Banned
1,247 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
I have three helmets that I currently wear. These are a HJC AC-3, 3/4 helmet, a HJC IS-MAX BT, a flip front, and a Shoei RF-1100, a full face. I have installed the Super-Visor on each of these helmets.

Do I like this addition? Yes, it provides sun blocking protection and causes no problems with wind. I have used the Super-Visor on a stock windshield, on a Tulsa Extra Tall, and now A Windbender. It has worked for me in each condition.

I usually wear sunglasses and have tinted shields on the AC-3 and the Shoei. The faceshield can be worn up, down, or partly open for additional sun blocking. The IS-MAX has the internal sun visor that can be lowered over the sunglasses and the clear faceshield for more wind or rain protection as needed.

I have looked at the DS helmets, and may try one in the future. Until that time the Super-Visor is an inexpensive way to make your riding better. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I go the other way. I ride my dual sports with a street full face. I have a HJC Fuel and only ride it if I'm staying in the dirt.

·
Registered
20,952 Posts
i have been wearing an Arai XD for over 200,000 miles

the much bigger than normal window-faceshield is my favorite part :thumbup:
i also love the sunvisor :thumbup:
the vents work great :thumbup:

my wing has been past 130 indicated and wind has never had any bad effect on the Arai XD , yes wind at hi speed would be an issue if u were riding some bike without a decent windshield but on a wing with the Arai XD wind is absolutly a non issue

some of the reviews indicate the Shoei Hornet is better than the Arai XD but i disagree, i think the Arai XD is the better helmet, maybe its just me but the Arai seems way more comfortable

one issue i was having with the XD was the faceshield fogging in the rain, i recently switched to a Pinlock shield, Pinlock was expensive but i have riden in some pretty serious rain with it and so far absolutly no fogging :thumbup:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was curious when I read this thread yesterday. So this morning I rode to work, 45 minutes, all highway, up to 80mph, some rain, with with my FLY Trekker helmet. It's the helmet I use on my KLR650. I was very impressed. I usually wear my Shoei Multitec (an excellent flip-up helmet). I like having a visor and a faceshield. No lifting what so ever, and I can move my head both left and right and not catch wind. The top of my windscreen is set at eye level. I'm 6'4". It is the Hi-Viz yellow color. Peope say they can see me coming for miles, that's the point (The Hi-Viz is the new black). Great helmet for the price, they run around $125 with free shipping. AFX has the same helmet, but cheaper and more color options and quick disconnect chin strap. I like mine better than the AFX because of the solid color.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts