GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Phoenix Brake bleeder. It works in reverse by pumping the fresh brake fluid in from the caliper bleeder up to the master cyl. Makes so much sense as you are not trying to push air bubble down when they want to go up. They want 67. for the home use variety and there is a pro model for a hundred something.
Hoping to get some feedback before pulling the trigger and buying one. Not happy with my suction bleeder or speed bleeders as air still seems to get trapped in the secondary master cyl or elsewhere. <G>

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I dunno.

Not sure. Never tried that.

I do know gunk, dirt, grunge, that brown stuff, falls with gravity, so I would think top fill and bottom bleed or vacuum would clean the system better.

With any system you have to manually bleed the rear a bit, with any system, not sure why, just know you have to or the rear pedal will have creep in it on some bikes.

Have not figured that one out just yet, all I know it happens. I know darn well with a good pressure bleeder no air gets in there, yet until you manually bleed the rear, sometimes it will act up.

Could be gunk getting sucked into the proportioning valve, sounds good anyway.

Would you like to buy a mushroom ;)

·
Registered
526 Posts
Pressure or power bleeders are nice, they don't suck the caliper piston back in , making you think there is still air in the system,

the cheep one looks pretty cheep

·
Registered
21,133 Posts
maybe get most of the old fluid and dirt out through the bottom then use the reverse system to get all the air out through the top

if you ever figure out the ideal method let me know what it is

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I dunno.

Not sure. Never tried that.

I do know gunk, dirt, grunge, that brown stuff, falls with gravity, so I would think top fill and bottom bleed or vacuum would clean the system better.

With any system you have to manually bleed the rear a bit, with any system, not sure why, just know you have to or the rear pedal will have creep in it on some bikes.

Have not figured that one out just yet, all I know it happens. I know darn well with a good pressure bleeder no air gets in there, yet until you manually bleed the rear, sometimes it will act up.

Could be gunk getting sucked into the proportioning valve, sounds good anyway.

Would you like to buy a mushroom ;)
yes, I noticed the manual tells you to do the manual bleed after using a brake bleeder to get rid of air. Must suck air some sort of way?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Brake Bleeder

I am a MAC Tool distributor. I sell a number a bleeders, but the one that the M/C techs really like is the one made by Vacular.

The concept is pretty simple:
Using shop air to create a vacuum, you suck the old fluid out through the bleeder, while at the same time adding clean fluid to the master cylinder.
Once you see clean fluid at the caliper, you're done. As long as you don't let the master cylinder run dry, letting air into the system, it dos a great job, and saves time.

Since the Vacular system is expensive, I'd suggest that you use a Mytivac bleeder. It's the same concept, but you are using a hand pump instead of shop air. More time invested, less money, same result.
bbc

1 - 7 of 7 Posts