GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 gl1800 and thinking about and additional 4.5 gallon tour tank mounted (not permanently) onto the passenger seat inside a bag. Anyone ever done this before?

Pete
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
Pete,

Nobody other than maybe 90% of the Long Distance riders (IBA, etc) on Goldwings...!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,863 Posts
Pete - I think I would have to see the mount that you would use for that shape of a tank to see whether that would be a good match for the 1800 or not. Considering the shape of the Tour Tank I think I would suggest you also check out and consider either a stock non-painted aluminum 4 gallon tank from Summit Racing or even one of the powder coated (red, blue or black) models. I myself like the shape better and it might look better on the back seat of the 1800 too.

Tour Tank:



Summit Racing 4 gallon fuel cell:





I have to say I love my own 4.71 gallon auxiliary fuel cell too:



Good luck, having an auxiliary fuel cell is fantastic and I sure enjoy having and using mine.

DaleC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
Who sells these tour tank?

Tanks, David
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,015 Posts
She is gonna kill me for forgetting this. Whats the very nice lady that lives in Florida? She rides a yellow Wing. She has a tank built into her right saddlebag. It was pretty cool looking. I cant remember her name?????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,040 Posts
Toyo said:
She is gonna kill me for forgetting this. Whats the very nice lady that lives in Florida? She rides a yellow Wing. She has a tank built into her right saddlebag. It was pretty cool looking. I cant remember her name?????
yellowwing1?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,373 Posts
I think awhile back board member Quickdraw was building some good looking units that were easily installed and high quality. You might want to search him out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DaleC said:
Pete - I think I would have to see the mount that you would use for that shape of a tank to see whether that would be a good match for the 1800 or not. Considering the shape of the Tour Tank I think I would suggest you also check out and consider either a stock non-painted aluminum 4 gallon tank from Summit Racing or even one of the powder coated (red, blue or black) models. I myself like the shape better and it might look better on the back seat of the 1800 too.
http://www.tourtank.com/index.html
I would be purchasing a 4.5 gallon tank from these people. As for mounting, this would be a temporary tank kept in a luggage bag of about the same size and bungeed onto the passengers seat. I will be disconnecting and connecting as needed. The kind of info I am looking for would be how other people tied into the wing's main tank and what size tubing they used. I would like the tank to gravity feed the wings tank.

Pete
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,541 Posts
Toyo said:
She is gonna kill me for forgetting this. Whats the very nice lady that lives in Florida? She rides a yellow Wing. She has a tank built into her right saddlebag. It was pretty cool looking. I cant remember her name?????
That was probably Joy.

She has the same tank I have in Tru Blu.



These tanks hold 5 gallons and were custom made for our Amateur Radio Club ( http://www.marc-hq.org ) by a local welding shop here in Souhern California. The welder has quit making them now as his shop has way too much business nowdays to deal with a low production piece like this. Very high quality piece of work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,157 Posts
You guys are my heros! I can only just stand the stock tank. Running it dry takes me about 3.5 to 4.5 hours and that is as long as I care to sit in the saddle. You definately have me out classed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Castoff said:
You guys are my hero's! I can only just stand the stock tank. Running it dry takes me about 3.5 to 4.5 hours and that is as long as I care to sit in the saddle. You definately have me out classed.
My purpose for the extra fuel surprisingly is not for touring, but commuting. I commute upward's of 75 miles per day and I'm tired of getting gas ever other day. When I tour, the tank comes out so I make sure to stop much sooner and smell the flowers.

Pete
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,751 Posts
PAUL
Is your avatar RUSS COLLINS?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,431 Posts
STU
Thanks for that comment STU...I was beginning to feel like a whimp and even started looking for divorce web-pages to replace my usual rear rider with a extra gas tank...You have saved my love life Stu!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,986 Posts
Here's a safety note. First of all, remember, we're talking about explosive and toxic gasoline here. Even though you may intend for your auxiliary fuel tank to be temporary, it's important that it be securely mounted on the bike. IMO, bungee cords are not enough to hold a tank that'll probably weigh nearly 50 pounds when full of fuel. Even a minor tip-over could cause a poorly mounted tank to come off the bike. At the minimum you should use several good ratchet straps to hold the tank on your bike's back seat. Better yet, devise a solid platform, probably bolted to the passenger grab handles, that will securely hold the tank.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,541 Posts
wimpyhonda said:
PAUL
Is your avatar RUSS COLLINS?
Yes that is RC!

He has been my hero since I was in High School. I went to his warehouse in 1973 in Torrance California to pickup my exhaust system for my '72 CB750K after I had installed an 812cc kit. I got to talk to him for a few minutes and look over another 750 he had modified for his warehouse manager to ride who was a paraplegic, (Sidecar, air assisted shift, integrated brake system…). I have always loved the sound of inline 4 cylinders since then, (probably even before then, with the Indycar "Offy' engines!).

That is the infamous "Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe" 3 motor, 3000cc 7.80 sec./179.5 mph Honda "750".


Fist motorcycle to break into the 7 second 1/4 mile. Rumor has it that it is now a coffee table in RC's house after it nearly killed him in 1976.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,863 Posts
Rastoff said:
You guys are my heros! I can only just stand the stock tank. Running it dry takes me about 3.5 to 4.5 hours and that is as long as I care to sit in the saddle. You definately have me out classed.
Rastoff - people usually assume that if you have a total of 11 to 11.5 gallons of fuel on a motorcycle the rider is alway riding in the saddle until all the gas is gone, which is usually not the case. While having extra fuel would allow you that kind of opportunity, more often the case is you just don't have to think about refueling for a lot more miles and you can make your stops at more interesting and scenic places that are not service stations. The classic situation for me is when my main tank is getting low and I see an interesting road that I want to explore and my fuel gauge might tell me that I must first look and find a service station to get more fuel. I merely have to reach back and open my auxiliary fuel valve and watch my gas gauge go back up to a full tank in a few minutes, and I'm good to go explore for a lot more miles and make rest stops or picture stops or whatever other kind of stops I want for needs other than getting gas. I really like that kind of convenience and luxury.

DaleC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,541 Posts
DaleC said:
Rastoff said:
You guys are my heros! I can only just stand the stock tank. Running it dry takes me about 3.5 to 4.5 hours and that is as long as I care to sit in the saddle. You definately have me out classed.
Rastoff - people usually assume that if you have a total of 11 to 11.5 gallons of fuel on a motorcycle the rider is alway riding in the saddle until all the gas is gone, which is usually not the case. While having extra fuel would allow you that kind of opportunity, more often the case is you just don't have to think about refueling for a lot more miles and you can make your stops at more interesting and scenic places that are not service stations. The classic situation for me is when my main tank is getting low and I see an interesting road that I want to explore and my fuel gauge might tell me that I must first look and find a service station to get more fuel. I merely have to reach back and open my auxiliary fuel valve and watch my gas gauge go back up to a full tank in a few minutes, and I'm good to go explore for a lot more miles and make rest stops or picture stops or whatever other kind of stops I want for needs other than getting gas. I really like that kind of convenience and luxury.

DaleC
What DaleC said...

It is just really convenient to be able to go 350-400 miles without thinking about "Gas" stops almost all day. For me one fill up per day and topping off the tanks in the morning is about all I ever need. Gives a lot more freedom when one decides to go "exploring" down one of those back roads in South Dakota or some such place.

I'm not sure about you Dale, but I'm "always riding in the saddle until all the gas is gone". It isn't very much fun just letting the bike idle all week waiting for the gas to disappear :!: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Many of us run the Ron Smith Fuel Cell. Since Ron died the cells are still being manufactured by his fabricator. Here is the contact info

"Roy Fletcher 425-742-5995 or [email protected]

Roy also makes the undermirror light mounts that most IBA goldwings run. They were also a Ron Smith Design.

They are baffled and meet the new IBA rules for fuel cells; with the addition of a grounding strap ( new rule for 2007)
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top