GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang,
Well, our '08 Level II is now right at 39,000 miles plus or minus. We've owned it now for about 8.5 years or so and have thoroughly enjoyed it. When we lived in CA, we rode from the Ramona area to the San Fransico area twice and back without any issues. And, we've been on numerous trips here and there, and all has been fine. But, we just took a ride from our home here in Lake Havasu City AZ to San Diego and back. That was a total of about 600+ miles or so.
We were towing our little Aluma trailer and, we also had our little dog Sophie in the carrier, on top of the trunk. Well, we decided to stop for a break at an intersection way out in the desert, at highway 78 and Ogilby road, for those that may know where that area is. I was out running the dog around for some exercise when the dear wife yelled at me: "We lost something"!!!!!! Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat was this I'm thinking as I mosied on back to the bike?

Low and behold, my right side engine cover WAS GONE!!!!!!!! As stated, in all the years we've owned this bike, and all the miles we've done, we've never, ever LOST anything while riding. Neither one of us, for the life of us, can figure out how that chrome engine cover, as large as it is, could get by our calfs, without bumping into our legs as it flew off someplace. This is to us, a mystery for sure. The other one is still there and seems to be pretty tight. I'd removed that right side cover to check the oil, just before the trip began, a few days ago. And, I put it back on securely, as I always do. Hmmmmm, this sucks.

Anyway, we got back home yesterday and, after some dinner and a brief rest, we were sitting here, her on her I-pad and me on my worn out old lap top, looking up where to get a replacement engine cover. We both found one at about the same time. I found several replacements on Amazon etc. while she found one or a pair, on Wingstuff. I also looked at Honda Direct. It appears from them it's around $139.00 for one. But, on Amazon, I can get a pair, right and left, for about $88 or so. And, as usual, I read whatever reviews on a potential product I'm thinking of purchasing.

Well, the reviews seemed pretty good for the $88 pair so, I ordered them up and, the'll be here tomorrow. We'll see how well they're made. But, in any case, has anyone else had parts, i.e. engine covers just "fly off" as you were riding?
Scott

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I've read a couple forum entries with similar stories. Grommet replacements are a good idea, some have actually fixed tethers to their inside to secure them. You on an elite group though.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Reactions: Barrycuda67

·
Registered
467 Posts
I've has the left one come loose while riding once as it popped out of the front grommet but it didnt go anywhere as my leg was holding it in place. Popped it back in at the next stop. Never had it happen again. Good suggestion from others on replacing the grommets though.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
The 1800 is not nearly as bad about this as the 1000, 1100, and 1200 side covers. My theory on them is that the left cover over the battery would be removed to get a jump-start, be replaced in a hurry, and not be latched properly. Try and find a decent '78 or '79 left side cover for less than $200. I managed to score a pair (right and left) and am hording until I find a '79 to restore.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
It happened to my on my 1500... fortunately I felt the battery cover flapping against my ankle, soon enough to notice it.
Another time with the cover over the alternator... also felt it hit my leg, before it departed.

I've since installed fishing line Leaders to all the small covers, and and not lost one since.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
It's not uncommon, and you can do a couple things. Make sure the little clear plastic "wings" are on the side of your engine, they may help break up the air flow a bit and keep it from catching on the leading edge of the engine cover.

New grommets will help, but aren't a sure-fire fix. I did that for mine and it helped some. Still not enough for my comfort.

Some people pass a zip tie through the grommet(s), and that firms up the "pop" you get when you put the covers on. I've done that for mine and they seem more solid.

Lastly, you can tether them on - I bought a 6-pack of long black wire fishing leaders and looped them over various spots of the frame, then clipped the end of the swivel just a bit and fed them through the holes in the engine cover posts. If they fly off, I think it would be a miracle if they got off that 100-lb. test leader.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
True [email protected] had one come loose while riding. Tried to save it and put it back in place while still riding and went off the road in the desert at highway speed and totalled his bike.

Those covers can be dangerous...

·
Vendor
17,787 Posts
Like Red says, replace the grommets that hold the cover in place. The left one has 4. Also, be sure that the tab at the back of the chrome injector cover is not broke, and if your Wing has chrome frame rails, it is best to remove the frame rail before installing the engine cover. On some Wings, the tension grommet will always pop out unless the frame rail is removed first. The tension grommet is there to push out on the cover as the other 3 pull it in. It keeps the cover from fluttering.

Some things to never do:
- do not lube your grommets
- do not tie them in place

If any of that needs done, what your Wing really needs is new grommets.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Are you 100% sure you didn't take it off to check the oil somewhere? Like, before you left on the trip?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I lost the left one twice on my ‘02. The first time I was able to recover it but not the second time. I replaced the grommets after the first time but to no avail. I ended up buying a set of Kuryakyn covers that worked nicely. The right Kuryakyn cover has the oil dip stick on the outside insuring the cover won’t fly off.
http://wingstuff.com/products/3430...nsmission-side-cover-for-gl1800?from_search=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
518 Posts
YES! About a month ago we were riding east on a 2-lane with about a 45 mph north wind. Every time a semi passed me going west I would hug the right track to keep the wind blast to a minimum. After about 30 miles of this the left cover decided to make it's escape. Luckily, I turned around and was able to find it in the ditch and it only sustained a slight scuff on the bottom. If the wind's blowing then we're riding because the wind's almost always blowing in this part of Texas.:grin2:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Some things to never do:
- do not lube your grommets
- do not tie them in place

If any of that needs done, what your Wing really needs is new grommets.
Usually I agree with you, but never take the extra precaution of tying them in place? That's like saying don't buy life insurance.

Reactions: greyhound

·
Registered
678 Posts
Maybe someone "borrowed" your cover and just forgot to tell you? Honest mistake I'm sure.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Yes

off the right side (while on a ride on a controlled access divided highway in New York state)
felt a tug on my right calf, and looked in the mirror and saw something flying. Took me few miles to figure out what it was
then had to go about 20 miles for a turn around, the same distance back, then searching for the side cover. We did find it.
lousy short term fix, I need new grommets (probably both sides) as noted above.
bryon

Attachments

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
When my first 1800 was nearly new the right cover came loose but my foot held it from flying off. One of the grommets had fallen out, got a free new grommet from a dealer and zip tied them all in place, never had a cover come loose again.
The covers on my bike are pretty easy to install or remove but I’ve worked on other bikes that are much more difficult.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I had my left side cover go flying off the other year. Like Tberger53 above, I bought the Kuryakyn covers as a replacement pair and love them. One thing I did though to prevent it from happening again. Was buy a set of panel keepers that were made and produced by Rudy (A member of another popular Goldwing forum) You can buy them in a 2 pack or a 4 pack from Cyclemax. Here is a link to the 2 pack.

https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/secondbase_kit/76/92811

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey gang,
Thanks for responding and, all the suggestions on how to keep my parts from flying away from me (or the bike) while we're out riding. Well, I got the replacement(s) today from Amazon. As for quality, well, let's just say they'll do. I took the left one off to compare it to the new left one since, I don't have an original right one to compare to the new one. But, the original left one I removed, as you can see in the picture, has a foam type insulation glued to it. The new one, doesn't have any such foam. I figure there's only two possible purposes for this foam.

1. For sound insulation
2. Fore heat insulation

Possibly for both. I'd like to ask a favor of any of you that still have your original right side engine cover. Do you or, is there, the same kind and amount of foam on the inside (obviously) of the right side as there is on the inside of the left side?
Scott

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts