GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking very seriously about doing 1 or 2 guided tours this year, and was just wondering if anyone else has done so, or was thinking of doing so?

If I can get the time off... I'm thinking doing at least 1 of the following:

1) RoadRunner Magazine 5-Country tour in Europe (Jun 13-23)
http://www.rrmotorcycling.com/guided_tours/

2) AMA Chasing the Colors Tour (Oct 6-15)
http://www.amadirectlink.com/travel/tours.asp#colors

3) AMA Conquer the Canyons (Sep 1-11)
http://www.amadirectlink.com/travel/tou ... %20Canyons

4) An Edelweiss Bike Co Tour
www.edelweissbike.com

I'd obviously have to use one of 'their' bikes for the Euro tour & the Edelweiss tours... but could use my Wing on the others.

I've heard nothing but good things about the 3 tours I mentioned, or about any tour with Eidelweiss, but was just wondeirng if any of you had any direct experience with them.

But I think it'd be great to not have to plan any logistics once in a while... just pack & go, and let someone else take care of all of the details.

Any thoughts?

:)
Tom

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Just can't see forking over $4-12 grand for something you could do yourself for 1/5th that.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah.... true about the stateside tours. But I have to admit that I'd never tour Europe, or any overseas destination for that matter, on a bike by my lonesome.

:-/

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I'd love to go on a Eurpoean or South African or South American or Australian motorcycle tour. In fact I really hope to go on a Ron Ayers ride one day.

But I'd probably not bother for an organized ride in Canada or the US unless they had arranged a real special deal on hotels. And I mean the best hotels in the places they decided to stop for 1/2 of the regular rates.

You probably get what you pay for in these sorts of adventures. If you pay $10k then you'll probably have good motorcycles, great hotels, scrumptous food and fine wine.

·
Registered
552 Posts
David M. said:
Just can't see forking over $4-12 grand for something you could do yourself for 1/5th that.
Ditto... screw paying somebody to show me where to ride and where to stay! There's too many bikers on the internet who are more than happy to show you their backyard. Heck... some will even share their home with you.

A couple years ago a bunch of german dudes I met on the ADV board were wanting to come to AZ and tour the southwest and then head to Sturgis. I met them at their hotel after they picked up their Harleys they had shipped over and we went riding. I rode with them for a couple of days and showed them all the good roads here in AZ. They then headed to CA, so I showed them all the good roads to ride there. Same with NV, UT, CO, WY, and SD.

We eventually met up with them in Sturgis and we all partied together and had a good time. Needless to say, my SO and me have a place to stay and a bike to ride should we ever decide to head to Europe. I still e-mail them to this day and post pictures of rides we take and they do the same.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I don't know if you're a member of GWRRA or not (not sure if membership is required) but they are putting together a cruise for February 2008 where you bring your wing with you. You can ride Puerto Rico (San Juan area), St. Thomas and St. Maarten. I don't have the link off hand, but if anyone is interested I can find it. The price really didn't seem to bad.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
On the plus side, everything is organized, and all you have to do is follow.

On the minus side, you have to pay big bucks for something you can do yourself. If it rains, you still have a schedule to keep, and you cannot improvise.

I thought about a planned tour of Route 66, then dismissed it when I saw the price. I can go to the web and get two books which provide the details of how to find the route for about $15. I invested 500 bucks for a small laptop while traveling. AAA map routing is on the web, so all I need are WIFI spots across the country. Being retired helps, as a schedule is not a concern.

·
Registered
19,398 Posts
I have not but...if you have the funds go for it. You only live once,treat yourself!

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
The way I see it is that some people just don't have the time to plan a tour and they don't know which roads are great and the ones that plain suck. If you have the money and that is not a issue, then I see no reason why someone wouldn't want to use the tour route.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
While I have not taken any of those tours, I can say that if they are well done, they're probably worth the money.

I have led group-rides as long as two weeks covering more than 5000 miles. I did the planning of routes, restaurants, lodging, and attractions. Let me tell you that the guide earns every penny. I was approached by an operation based in Europe to do tours for them here in the States but I said no.

Personally, I would stay clear of any of the buget-minded rides. This keeps the penny pinchers away as they seem to be the cause of most problems not only for the guide but other riders too.

Good luck on your selection!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Never on a motorcycle....

I've never done a guided tour on a motorcycle, but the SO and I have done bicycle tours a-plenty! And I'll do more in the future. These have all been a great time (Napa area, Vermont, and Maine).
The advantages have all been listed: someone else plans the route, lodging, food, etc.
The disadvantages (obvious) have also been listed: there is a schedule and you will need to stick relatively close to it. Tho, I imagine there is slack time built in for sightseeing and the like.
I'd love to take one, but I'm a planner by nature. If I did, it'd be in Europe only. Here, stateside, I prefer my pace, my bike, and my ideas as to what constitutes a great ride.
Couple years ago, SO and I headed out of Denver for a two-week road-trip. Zero hotel reservations. Zero definite plans. We hit every state west of Colorado excepting Alaska and Hawaii. Never had a problem finding a room, and had just the greatest time because we were NOT on a schedule.
If you've got the $$, I'd say go for it (Europe only).

·
Registered
21,099 Posts
one of those adventures to Mexico would b great, wish i could afford it

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
what about?............

By using the internet I would wonder if perhaps one could make all the necessary arrangements for a motorcycle trip? The hotel/motel reservations and the meals could be scheduled well ahead of time I would think? There was an article in one of the motorcycle mags a few years back about a couple who traveled extensively around Europe on a shoestring budget. I would wager that you could visit some of the web pages from various countries in Europe and do a similar thing with a little coaching from fellow motorcyclists in the regions that may interest you for your trip?

My experience has been that the unplanned trips and the just follow the front wheel kind of journys are the best. I have been to Alaska twice and have taken my wife along and pulled a Uni-Go trailer behind the K1200LT we used to have. To this day we look at the pictures and remember the things we saw and did and know that it was a wonderful trip. We scheduled our own trip to go whale watching up on the far north end of Vancouver Island and it too was great.

You will of course have to decide for yourself but a few French lessons and a little German and poof yer in bidness.

Have fun lookin',

Denny

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I sure wish I made enough cash to do the edelweiss New Zealand tour. I've heard a lot of good things about that particular tour.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Also...

You can review the "Favorite Ride" articles in Rider magazine for some good routes, points of interest, and scenic locations in the USA. As for Europe, I have seen some really interesting tours that would constitute a once in a lifetime experience for my wife and I--so that is on our "dare to dream" list. :beer3:

Cheers,
Chris and Helen

·
Registered
375 Posts
I too, would love to do one of those guided tours across the pond. But to me, ½ the fun of a tour is the planning process. We stuffed a Yellowstone, Glacier and Waterton Lakes tour into 2 weeks in '04. I began the planning process the previous October. Kept my juices flowing all winter.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Tom, I took the Edelweiss "High Alpine Adventure Tour" last Sept. I can tell you that it very well planned and every detail is covered. I liked dropping my bags in the lobby in the morning and having them reappear in my hotel room in another country that afternoon. The guilds give you 3 options each day, route A, route B, or mark your map a morning briefing and take your own route that day. I did a little of all three options. Guilds carry cell phones in case you get lost or brake down(no-one in our group did however)

They follow along behind each day with a van and equipment trailer with parts, tires, etc. and a spare bike if needed.

The hotel accommodations were great, better then I expected or really needed.

I choose a BMW1200RT and had a great ride! It's perfect for those tight switchbacks throughout the Alps. Probably better the my GW for that purpose.

Try it, you'll love it!!

(I'm thinking of going somewhere with them again this year.)

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all of your replies...

Yes, I know that it's much cheaper... and sometimes more fun... to plan your own tour, to be at your own pace, and to ride whereever you feel like riding on a particular day.

And if you're retired, independantly wealthy, or otherwise have no time contraints... you've got all the time in the world to meander around however you want.

But for someone still working, who has to plan his entire entire leave/vacation time for the entire next year...

(That's right: Thanks to the new regime running the FAA these days... every single day that I'd like to take off next year has to be requested & either approved / disapproved by the end of next week... bidding in rounds according to seniority, starting today...) :evil:

... I'm thinking that something like this may be the way to go for at least 1 of my trips this year.

I've taken my share of 'carefree' trips in the past, and I'll still do that occasionally. But if I ever want to travel across the pond, it just seems that... at least the first time... that a guided tour with someone else worrying about all of the logistics would be the way to go.

:)
Tom

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Tom, I hope you get the time off you want and go on one of the tours. I know you'll have a great time and we will get to hear a report full of pics!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts