GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are planning a trip this summer and would appreciate any information about the roads on Newfoundland Island. We're considering taking the ferry from Sydney, Nova Scotia to Channel-Port aux Basques, Newfoundland and then take Rt. 1 to St. Johns. Does anyone know what the ride on Rt. 1 is like and the condition of the road? My wife and I don't want to ride on gravel roads. We want to make sure all our travel roads are paved. Can anyone shed some light on this? Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks. BOZ

Just from looking at maps, I was originally planning on going from Baie-Comeau, Quebec on Rt. 389 to Happy Valley-Goose Bay. Then I found out that a large part of that road is gravel and difficult to travel in a car - not suitable for a MC (for me anyway).

We really want to travel the area, but also want paved road under us. :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Several chapter members have done the RT 1 thing to ST. Johns and said the road is paved but not in real good condition. Probably like most northern New England back roads that are affected by frost heaves.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Been to Rodickton Newfoundland twice after landing in Channel-Port aux Basques.
No problem with roads.
There were some gravel roads from there north but they were so hard packed they drove like hot top.
Getting into some of the little fishing villages along the coast will put you on gravel but I found them to be in good shape.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts