GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on packing all my riding gear in a waterproof duffel bag for the flight to Chattanooga in the morning and was wondering if anyone has flown with electric gear, and if it caused any issues at the airport?

·
Registered
602 Posts
You talking about wearing your Gerbings -or- carrying'em in your luggage ?

I carried my Gerbings onboard from StL -to- Orlando in January a few yrs ago when I flew down commercial to pick up a plane in Jan. & fly it back to Missouri. I fly w/only carry-on & no checked luggage. I knew the plane I was going to retrieve did not have a heater & the temps, especially at altitude, would be pretty darn chilly.

I took the pouch the Gerbings came in to show TSA if they inquired. Ditto for the radio transceiver I carried w/me - I laminated a copy of my radio license & pilots license onto the back of the transceiver. I thought sure they'd hassle me..... nope..... I recall a TSA agent asking me what the transceiver was; I told her; she nodded & waved me thru.

From my experiences w/TSA agents - 10 different TSA agents would probably handle those situations 10 different ways !

Good luck - your mileage may vary.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You talking about wearing your Gerbings -or- carrying'em in your luggage ?
Was planning on checking the bag so there would be no hassle at the security/screener station.

All the gear, helmet, gloves, jacket, Gerbings liner, heat-troller, etc and some clothes.

I planned on putting a printed page in the bag describing the gear and my purpose with it.

·
Registered
602 Posts
With bags being subject to random search - attach -or- include the info w/'em & I'd think that you should be good to go. Good luck !

·
Registered
260 Posts
I would be kind of worried about a helmet in checked bags....they typically don't get treated very gently :eek:4:. IMHO, I'd carry that on with me. Wouldn't want to pick up my bags at destination and find a crack anywhere rendering the helmet useless. Most helmets can be quite expensive to replace, not to mention the hassle to get a new one broken in again :rolleyes:

I do, however, agree with the idea of putting some sort of written explanation in the luggage as to what the "questionable" gear is and what it's for.:thumbup:

Congrats on getting a new ride, BTW :D

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
checked would be no issue

a couple years ago, i read a post about someone who wore his electric jacket to the security line

nice move.....

a few hours later, after he missed his flight, i am sure even a bonehead knew he made the wrong choice

·
Love The DCT
11,372 Posts
checked would be no issue

a couple years ago, i read a post about someone who wore his electric jacket to the security line

nice move.....

a few hours later, after he missed his flight, i am sure even a bonehead knew he made the wrong choice
A month ago, a Gerbing dealer I know wore the Gerbing battery powered liner on a RT flight to the west coast with zero problems from TSA.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts