GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are headed out next week to Tennessee. Thought we would ride through Kentucky to get there. We plan to ride I64, Martha Layne Collins Blue Grass Parkway. then I65. 511 Kentucky shows construction on all three roads. :22yikes: Anyone know just how bad it is? Should we look in to an alternate route? Thanks, Tom. :biker:

·
Registered
476 Posts
I 65 between Elizabethtown and Bowling Green has construction in the North bound lanes but should be okay going south. However on holiday weekends that area is usually stop and go. On a recent trip south this year we went down Hwy 31W from E-town down to Cave City then headed east to pick up Hwy 31E. Goes all the way to Nashville but not as fast as I 65. We tend to stay off interstates on the bike for the most part and see the country. Have a safe trip.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the info. :thumbup: Tom :biker:

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Which part of TN are you going to, Nashville? How long do you want to take to get there?
Yes we are headed to Nashville. Need to do it in 2 days. That's why we are looking at just the Interstates. Need to be at Wayne's, "wasaw" house by Thursday evening. Wife has a route planned to do 7-8 hours a day. Hotel booked outside Charleston W. Virginia for the first night. From there through Kentucky using I64 and I65 as well as the BGP. Tom :biker:

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,603 Posts
Shoot, if you had more time there's a few very nice scenic routes you could take and avoid the highways.

·
Registered
122 Posts
You shouldn't have any problems with I64 to Lexington. There is some construction around Winchester but it shouldn't delay you. Martha Layne Collins parkway should be fine. I would take it to Bardstown and like others have said, take US31/31E out of Barstown to Nashville. I've ridden that many times and it may take you an hour or so longer to get to Nashville. However, you will be much more relaxed when you get there. I65 is a real truck highway with 18 wheelers running from Chicago to AL. It is generally very congested and difficult to use the cruise control on.

Dennis

·
Registered
681 Posts
31e

I agree with the others here. 31E will cost you about an hour of duration but save your anxiety immensely. Besides, the scenery, and nostalgia is well worth the cost of an hour.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Ya' sure can't see the TeePee Village Motel from the interstate!

·
Registered
128 Posts
.I agree with the other guys. 31E or 31W are both a lot nicer ride than I65. It will take a little longer but is well worth it.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
If you happen to be in Franklin, KY. around lunch time, send me an email ahead of time. It comes to my cell phone. I'll meet you for lunch! I don't need much of an excuse to ride.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well as of now we will be headed right into the tropical storm coming up the center. Same thing happened to us last year when we planned a BRP ride. Our first day of riding has us crossing W. Virgina. Then into Kentucky the second day, and on into TN.. We may get washed out. Or, cage it. Wife is not a happy camper right now. Can't say I blame her either. :shrug: Tom :biker:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts