GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone from N.E. states coming down to WingDing? If so, maybe you can help me. I'm buying a motorcycle camper in Maine. Looking for someone I can hire to pull it to Knoxville for me, or maybe let me ride along with them on return trip home so I can pick it up.
Don't know anything about that part of country, but do know I want to dodge as many tollroads as possible, if I get it.
I'll be @ WD Wednesday & Thursday. Leaving Friday morning to return home or head on up to Maine.
Any help appreciated.
[email protected]
706 597-8225
706 833-6597

·
Banned
2,340 Posts
Jim the best way I have found is 95N to NJ take exit 10 for 287N then back to 95N to Maine.

I know it's the slab but you bypass NY city, most of NJ and all the heavy tolls. If you have EZ Pass it will be a breeze. I think the most you will pay is about $10. The Washington Bridge alone is up to $8 I hear and the traffic is brutal.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Jim, 287 around NY to 87 across the Tappan Zee bridge, then pick up rt 15, the Merritt Parkway to Meriden, CT.
In Meriden, 91 to 84 in Hartford, the Charter Oak Bridge to 84
84 to the Mass Pike (I-90) to the next exit, exit 10 Auburn. 290 to 495, around Boston and up to 95 north through NH

In any case, stay away from the GW. traffic is beyond horrible, lots and lots of trucks, construction, idiots, tolls, and in summer serious heat. The Tap, further north on 87 is cheaper, and much better to cross. Or, the Newburgh bridge on 84 is even less.

Another, perhaps better, choice might be 81 to Harrisburg PA, then on up to 84 in Scranton. 84 east to Hartford, same directions from there.
If you do go that way, buy your gas in NJ when you go through. NY is WAY expensive, and CT not much better. You will pass through the northern tip of NJ. You are only there for 1 exit, about 400 feet.

How much time do you have? If you aren't in a hurry, you could do the Blueridge / Skyline Drive through VA.
And, once you hit Hartford, you could take 91 up to just past Springfield, then take RT 2, the Mohawk trail to Leominster. In Leominster, take RT 13 North to Rt 101 in NH
101 to the seacoast, then 95 north. Or Rt 1 along the shore. If you go this way, let me know. My property borders on RT 13, you go right by my house.

There are other roads I could send you on, just give me an idea of how long you can take for this trip.

BTW, was it you who bought a leather jacket from me a few years ago? (My memory.. if I want to remember new stuff, old stuff has to go..)

=Dave=

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dave, it wasn't me that bought the jacket. May have to get back with you for a route. I'm holding out, hoping someone is coming down for Wing Ding & wouldn't mind pulling it for some gas money.
So far, no luck.

·
Registered
440 Posts
If you want fast then I81 north to Scranton Pa. Then I84 east to Hartford Ct. North on I91 to the Mass Pike I90 which is a toll road but only 1.35 then I495 north right into Maine I95 north which is also a toll road but only a few stops of a dollar a piece.

If you don't want that fast then before reaching CT boader tape NYRt9 Tropacanic parkway, no trucks, north to RT2 , mohawk trail. The best part of the trial is from North Adams to Greenfield. keep on Rt 2 to Rt3 thru New hamphire. At Lincoln NH take Rt 112 thru the White Moutains to North Conway. If you like you can take Rt25 to Portland Maine then 95 north.

I live in New England and have ridden on all these roads.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
If you want fast then I81 north to Scranton Pa. Then I84 east to Hartford Ct. North on I91 to the Mass Pike I90 which is a toll road but only 1.35 then I495 north right into Maine I95 north which is also a toll road but only a few stops of a dollar a piece.

If you don't want that fast then before reaching CT boader tape NYRt9 Tropacanic parkway, no trucks, north to RT2 , mohawk trail. The best part of the trial is from North Adams to Greenfield. keep on Rt 2 to Rt3 thru New hamphire. At Lincoln NH take Rt 112 thru the White Moutains to North Conway. If you like you can take Rt25 to Portland Maine then 95 north.

I live in New England and have ridden on all these roads.

Good call on the Taconic Parkway.. Lovely road. And the Mowhawk trail from North Adams to Greenfield is just great riding. 112 is pretty sweet, too. I would jump off 2 at Leominster, go up rt 13 to either 101, or better yet stay on 13 to Goffstown, then pick up 101. The stretch from New Boston to Goffstown is incredibly scenic.. twisty road following a stream, not much build-up.

=Dave=

·
Registered
440 Posts
when was the last time you where on 101. If they haven't repaved it since last year, forget it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Caution on pulling trailers in NY and Ct. They don't go on "Parkways". it is not legal for trailers or commercial vehicles to be on parkways. so do them on the way north before you get your trailer.
Also, when asking for some one to pull your trailer. Let them know the brand as the types of electrical hook ups vary greatly and no one is going to want to re wire their bike to pull a trailer on a one way trip, not at least without a lot of compensation I am guessing.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Hmmpf.. I live in Brookline, right on RT13 , so I do 101 to Manchester a lot. Haven't noticed anything unusal on it. Some construction, but in NH we have 3 seasons.. winter, mud / pothole, and construction. I go over to the seacoast some, too, and that section seemed fine last time I went.
If you wanted, you could get off at exit 3, and take 43 and 107 north, to rt 4 /202, then over to the coast. Or, you could stay on til Rt 125, go north, and about a mile past the Lee rotary there is a little seafood shack that has a fish chowder to die for. First place winner in the contests severl times in teh past few years. Scrumptious! Captain Hutch's, on the right. If you arfe near there at lunch time, it's a stop well worth making. 4 goes through the Lee Rotary, also.

=Dave=

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Trailer is a Kwik Kamp camper with a round 5 hole plug.
I'm hoping someone could bring it down & meet me @ WingDing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts