GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone - garnish tightness adjustability ? (with photo)

For some reason the left side of the top of the garnish is loser (right up top where the rubber strip makes contact with the shield) than the right. Is that adjustable with those round looking screws that attach to the levers that you lift up and push down to tighten the windshield in place?

The rubber strip is on correctly....so it's an adjustment thing it seems.

Can it be adjusted?

It seems that if there was an adjustment to "pull" the garnish or the mechanism under it which cinches the shield tight in place...I could use a little adjusting.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
If I interpret your message correctly -
Maybe it's the windshield and not the garnish?
I would check the nut holding the windshield locking lever for toghtness.
It is behind the rubber boot on the mirror.

P.S. youtube has some videos where the windshields are changed (Vstream, F4) where they show that nut (if you don't know where it is)

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Nuts, I cant find it........

There was a post recently on this subject and Fred Harmon had photos of what position the lock down tabs were supposed to be in.

When I checked mine the one on the right side had slipped under the tab it is supposed to lock down on.

You are correct, the tabs are adjustable, once you get them in the correct position.

If you pull the mirrors off per the Service Manual, be sure you have a JIS (Japanese) Phillips Head Screwdriver. (Don't ask how i know)

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I knew this was going to be a confusing question....

When you lift the windshield adjusters on either side of the bike...it physically extends the garnish (and the windshield mechanism) outward so you can adjust the shield. Then you flip the levers down to tighten it. The garnish (the top...and the rubber strip) hugs the shield. One side does....and one side doesn't. Is their a way to adjust how tight that all works?

Let me go snap a photo to make it clearer.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am pushing the rubber against the shield in the photo...if I move my finger there is about a 1/16 gap. The rubber I know moves up and down but when positioned correctly...it leaves a gap on one side and not the other.

Was wondering if those rods on either side...next to the mirrors which connect to the mechanism to cinch and loosen the bar which the shield slides under will accomplish decreasing the gap.

Anyone?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a pic from Fred's site, should this turn out to be your problem. If you can't see the pic, click on the link and look at the 3rd pic.

The tab on the garnish goes under the tab shown (arrow) in teh pic below.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/windbender
Thanks...talking about something completely different. BUT, if you look in his picture...you can see the adjusting rod I am speaking of...and it looks like it can be adjusted.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is the mechanism that I am referring to. This is what attaches to the levers on either side to loosen and tighten the shield after adjustment. This is what would affect the TOP edge of the garnish.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does your garnish have both grommets that go over the stud that is just to the right of that mechanism?

A missing grommet will cause you some fitment trouble.
You mean the pointy thing that goes in the rubber hole? Yeah...both there and in.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
That is what I was trying to find. If the lockdown tabs are in the wrong place then the Garnish will not pull down tight to the windshield.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is what I was trying to find. If the lockdown tabs are in the wrong place then the Garnish will not pull down tight to the windshield.
Ahhhhh, I got ya. Yeah, I checked those when the that thread first came out. Those tabs are A-OK.

Thanks for re-checking with me.

I'm slow :0)

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Well no one has answered the question.

To begin with the outside garnish does not move at all. It is held in place by two 10 mm nuts under the mirror rubber parts. It locks in at the bottom with grommets. It does not move, it follows the contour of the underlying metal framework of the bike. So no matter what that will be what it will be. The garnish does not move. It also mates to the rest of the tupperware and its supporting framework also. I see a few of the bikes with a gap up at the top of the shield one side or the other.

You can carefully bend the framework and close up gaps that way.

As for the windshield being loose, you can carefully bend the tab just a tiny bit, and tighten that up some. Or install new rubber or even the soft side of industrial velcro, along the shield to tighten it up.

Carefully bending the framework and or the tabs is the only way I know of to adjust things. Other than filling up the looseness of the working mechanism with a thicker product etc. Thicker sliders on the shield mechanism and so on.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well no one has answered the question.

To begin with the outside garnish does not move at all. It is held in place by two 10 mm nuts under the mirror rubber parts. It locks in at the bottom with grommets. It does not move, it follows the contour of the underlying metal framework of the bike. So no matter what that will be what it will be. The garnish does not move. It also mates to the rest of the tupperware and its supporting framework also. I see a few of the bikes with a gap up at the top of the shield one side or the other.

You can carefully bend the framework and close up gaps that way.

As for the windshield being loose, you can carefully bend the tab just a tiny bit, and tighten that up some. Or install new rubber or even the soft side of industrial velcro, along the shield to tighten it up.

Carefully bending the framework and or the tabs is the only way I know of to adjust things. Other than filling up the looseness of the working mechanism with a thicker product etc. Thicker sliders on the shield mechanism and so on.
BINGO...I'll try a little bend here and there...then the velcro.

Thanks...just what I was looking for.

Thanks to all !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts