GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever purchased one of those trailers that have a 6' long box that hinges in the front. They look kinda like a cartopper except they have a mattress and tent material that encloses the sides and rear when the lid is up and you can use it as a pup tent. I was wondering if anyone has one and if so are they comfortable on trips as a quick way to stop for the night and continue on. No real setup and you could probably pull into most parking slots and snooze for the night.

I've been considering one. I don't have the time to justify a tent trailer but I would like a cargo/tent unit that takes no real setup.

·
Registered
318 Posts
About 15 years ago I had one similar to what you explain. I don't remember what brand it was but I bought it used for $400 from a private party.
Setup took about 10 minutes alone, 5 with a helper. It was similar to a puptent with the jointed rods you slid through the canvas and then locked into clamps on the corner of the trailer. The mattress was a four inch piece of foam rubber. There was a small storge area underneath the mattess. When folded out it was about the size of a single bed.
The only thing I liked about it was it was small and lightweight and cheap.
Here is a list of the minuses:
Set up was clumsy, especially in the dark.
The mattress was too soft,but a firmer mattress wouldn't fold easily.
If the canvas got wet you either had to wait for it to dry or have damp bedding the next night.
No place to stand to change your clothes.
Unfolded the unit was a little unstable. I added adjustable legs to the four corners for stability.
You had to get on your knees for access to the storage area or you could open it and lift the plywood up under the mattress.

I sold it and got a trailer. I carry a puptent and sleeping bag if I decide to camp. The trailer is more versatile, has more room and is lighter.

Like I said this ws 15 years ago. There may be something better out there now.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The one I saw had a body that was at least 6 feet long without the hitch. It didn't fold, the back end just opened up to about a 45 degree angle and the canvas was already attached to the sides. You just climbed in. I see where not having standing room would be a hassle, but it would make stopping for the night easy. I really like the little ambassador trailer. It has a 6'6" body that's about 45 inches wide. The roof goes straight up to standing height and then the wings fold out. Now, if you could just raise the roof without the sides out when you just want to catch a few zzzzz's, that would be great, but I think it would affect it's strength or stability in the wind.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts