GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to replace my seat. The stock seat is OK around town, but after about 100 miles on the highway my hips & knees start to hurt. I'm 6' 1" with long legs. Saddlemen's website says they will customize their seats for tall riders. Their prices are way lower than Corbin, Diamond, etc. I am wondering if anyone has used their seats. Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ronnie :yw1:

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Sorry, don't have a saddleman. I just looked at the prices and my Diamond was only about $100 more. Saddleman might be a good deal. The thing I discovered, with my longer legs, is that I did not want a seat that dropped off on the sides like the stock seat. That loses thigh support which causes all the weight to be centered on the butt. Plus, if you use any kind of pegs, you have to work to keep your legs spread apart [unless you use something like an Airhawk Seat Pad backwards to keep your legs out.] Take a good look at the shape of a Diamond Hi Miler/Big Boy. If they can mimic that, I would say you probably would get what you need. I have heard both positive and negative about the gel pads.

Just in case you haven't seen this, here is what I've done...very long with pictures.

Increasing Rider Comfort

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I have a Saddleman Roadsofa covered in velour. I'm happy with it. I'm only 5'9", and I can easily flat foot the bike because this seat is slightly narrower in the front. The Gel pads sre good, but I wouldn't say they have any advantage over a quality foam. The gel does hold heat, and I've made it a habit to throw a white towel over the seat if I'm parked in direct sunlight for any length of time. The backrest is easily removed, but I've never had a reason to. The cover for the passenger backrest fits nicely over the stock vinyl, but I removed the old vinyl covering and installed the saddleman cover for a more custom look. The strings sewn to the new cover didn't line up with the holes in the stock passenger seat back, and I had to sew on new ones. I find this seat to be comfortable, and it looks good. The velour is WAY better than vinyl on hot days, and was my main reason for geting this seat.

·
Registered
343 Posts
At no time in my life have I found that cheaper was better! Can't say I've found cheaper to be "just as good" many times either.
If you need heart surgery do you want the cheapest doctor to do it?
If it is less money, there is probably a reason why.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a saddlemen seat on my gl1800 and it's awsome. Worth every penny. If you check out E-bay you can find them at great prices. I had a travel sofa on my Harley Ultra and made a Blue Ridge run last summer with it and was very comfortable with this seat, no iron butt. When i traded that bike torwards my Goldwing i didn,t waste much time in buying another seat for the Goldwing. I highly recomend a Travel sofa by Saddlemen and they can custom fit it to you for no extra cost.

G

·
I have a road sofa as well and I love it. They are in my area so I went to them and they measured me and made the seat to my butt and height. I had them move me back a bit and I added the gel in front and rear seat. I also had them use softer foam for my wife, she is a bit lighter than your average co-rider 120Lb. I have no complaints with the workmanship and the service was great.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Anyone have a Saddleman seat?

I looked at the Saddleman Road Sofa at Daytona this year and was not happy with their product. I am 6' 2" and about 210 (on a good day). My stock seat bothers my butt and knees after about 50 miles. :( When I tried the Saddleman seat it did not change my riding position at all! They said that they could custom make me a seat but they did not know the price. :?: I have been following the comments on this board for quite a while and talked to Hartco and Diamond also. I just ordered a Diamond seat that will be custom made for me. It will raise me one inch up and back two inches. Talking to them if it doesn't work they will fix it and make it right with out any additional costs. :lol: Riding season will be here soon and I am interested in seeing the results of the new seat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts