GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sure there would be another thread about this, and searched, but didn't turn anything up. Other shifters, yes. But I didn't find anything on this specific one.

Was curious if anyone had any experience with this shifter. The price was good, and I really like the looks. I don't think I want floorboards. At least not yet. The thing that drew me to this is that it looks like the heel part is a bit lower than many others.

Let me explain what I'm trying to say. Most of this is theoretical, since I'm still kinda new to my wing. I'm 6'2" and wear an 11 shoe/boot. I'd like a shifter that my foot won't touch while I'm riding. So it would either have to be extra long, or sit lower so my heel will not bump it as I ride. As I said before, I don't think I want floorboards just yet. That may change if this doesn't work out for me.

If there are any suggestions other than this shifter, I'm wide open.

Thanks.

·
Banned
939 Posts
The heal toe shifting concept takes a bit of getting used too if you have only used a toe shifter.

You better make sure your boot fits with the set up you have pictured.
That set up might drive you crazy if the distance between the toe and heal pads off the levers is not sufficient you will feel like your foot is in jail much more so than with just a toe shifter.

Stop by a Harley dealer and sit on a few bikes but keep in mind they are all designed with leg position much more forward than the Wing.

·
Registered
814 Posts
had one on my cruiser and thought I would miss it - after 3 years of just the toe shifter I dont miss it at all.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Heal toe shifter

I've owned several bikes that came with heal toe shifters. Personally I don't like them, as afore mentioned your foot feels like it's in jail and sometimes your pants leg will get caught in the rear shifting lever and cause instability. Of all the ones I've owned the factory shifter on a Yamaha roadliner or stratoliner in my opinion has the best design. Kinda a half moon shape that's out of your way! Look at your local dealer and be careful!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I'm finding that a heel/toe shifter is something you either love or hate. I haven't seen much middle ground on this subject.

Unfortunately for me, I'm from Missouri, so, to drive a cliche' further into the ground, I have to be shown. I'm ordering one so I can have it in my hands and actually see and feel it. I won't install it right away, so I can return it if I don't think I'll like it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts