GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding down the interstate, everything going great when my F1 light came on. Shortly afterwards, I lost my speedometer indication. It went down to 0 for about 10 seconds then returned gradually to normal. My alternator output remained normal as did the running of the bike. When I got home, I turned the bike off and was going to pursue the issue the next day. After starting the bike again, the light was gone. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Sounds like you lost power briefly...check your battery cables lately?

·
Vendor
17,792 Posts
Make sure the battery connections are clean and the tight as PM. Next time it happens, pull over, put in N, put KS down and leave running. Count the flash code the FI light shows. Long = 10, short = 1. So long, long, short, short = 22. Then report back with the code.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
Sounds like you lost the speed signal for a moment. It would cause the FI light to come on and the speedo to die. Do you have a speedometer correction device on it? If so they are known to die occasionally. You could just have a bad connection on the speed sensor's connector. The harness runs up the right side of the engine. Here's a diagram of the sensor and it's wiring path. The connector for it is in the big rubber boot at the top of the diagram. If your FI light comes on again, pull over, put it into neutral, and then put down the side stand. The FI light will begin to flash the error code. If you turn it off first the code will be lost if it's not a major failure, like a bad fuel injector.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Sounds like maybe a loose ground connection. Check them all.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
+1 -> Techdude2000

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Tombstone was better.... way better.....

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
What year bike ? If the FI light was on there should be a fault code stored in memory and forcing the code would help diagnose the problem.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Two questions. Did everything else keep working when it did this...like the TACH...for example...? I think if all checks out, that you might have a speed sens that is maybe going bad inside...but do check all wiring just the same. When you said it came back slowly, makes me think that maybe there might be a internal short in the speed sens and that is way it was acting slow...a under voltage condition that did not give enough tell the speedo what the speed was. I open with have meant...drops like a rock and comes back to normal fast....

Just a idea for you to look at....test with ohm meter to see if it meets specs.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Had this on my 04 one time, everything working fine but no speedo reading, we were camping and had rain overnight, my S.O had left the cap off the intercom connection, and it was wet inside the plug, blew into the connector to dry out water, plugged in headset and off we went never any trouble since. :shrug:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Funny you should say that about the intercom getting wet. It was raining when that happened. The bike is an 01 with 48k on it. I rode it yesterday. Couldn't get anything to act up . Hopefully it was a one time thing. The bike did ride fine when it happened though. I checked all connections. Couldn't find anything yet.

·
Registered
232 Posts
There you go :thumbup: I spray WD 40 around the connections now, helps those ridiculously fiddly plugs slip together easily. :cool:
Could have been worse, could've stripped the whole bike down looking for a bad earth :lol:

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
The EXACT same thing happened to me today. Coupla days ago I thought I saw the speedo drop to ZERO but it recovered so quickly that I wasn't sure if it did or not. Today, after about a four hour ride to Lake Erie and around, speedo dies to ZERO. Stays there for a minute or so then recovers. Few minutes, repeat but this time the Fault Indicator light comes on and STAYS on. Having just read a thread about the bike running with a bad injector until you turn it off, I kept moving. Speedo recovers going through a left turn. Runs fine and speed works until I brake for a coming stop light. Bike dies but I release the clutch and it recovers. Got home and the FI threw an 11 which is bad speed sensor.

Now, how will that affect the bike except for it not working the cruise or cancel the signals? Would it hurt the ECM? Will it affect the fuel mixture not knowing how fast it's going? That should be the tach, but what?

I dunno. I just know that it's a b**ch to fix that mother, the things buried behind the right header and the plug is in a God forsaken place to get to..... besides costing $100!

I will be tugging very hard on the wire both ways at the frame hoping that I jostle something back in place. If that does not fix it, I will have to pull all the tupperware and get at the sob.....

Keep ya posted.......

S

·
0 Posts
I was riding down the interstate, everything going great when my F1 light came on. Shortly afterwards, I lost my speedometer indication. It went down to 0 for about 10 seconds then returned gradually to normal. My alternator output remained normal as did the running of the bike. When I got home, I turned the bike off and was going to pursue the issue the next day. After starting the bike again, the light was gone. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I had this happen twice. I old battery was discharged and just barely started the bike. I took off and all the gauges went goofy as you described. I pulled over turned off the switch. Pulled the main fuse to kill power to the ECM and started back up and took of as normal. This worked until several months later when I had the same issue.
No need to idle till warm or any of that as the ECM will recalibrate just fine.

It's weird but the charge and reset does fix it fine.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Pulled battery cables. Took off right side cover. The GREY wire that goes up from behind the lower hose then behind the reservoir I freed by unbolting the reservoir. In the edited pic it's colored showing the speed sensor wire. I tugged on the upper end with some angled needle nose and then down behind the hose I did the same. Took about 10 minutes. Replaced the res and right cover and hooked up the battery and put it on the tender all night. Road all day today without any problems whatsoever. Hope it stays that way. As a footnote, I am having battery troubles - she's weak but still has some life in her if I keep her on the tender. Resident voltmeter shows close to 10 volts when starting, normal 12.6 and 14.2 other times.

S

·
0 Posts
Weak battery sounds like the problem - I managed to go about a year with the battery being a bit suspect and had the same issues.
No big deal as eventually you will be buying a new battery. :?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts