GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about moving to a lighter bike now that it seems my wife will not be riding with me any more due to her back problems. I love my Goldwing, and not sure I am really willing to give up on all the goodies that the GW has gotten me used to, such as cruise control, the built in navigation system, great wind protection, and that powerful 6 cylinder engine, but I have thinking of reasonable alternatives. One of the bikes that looks most promising is the Honda CB1100EX. Decades ago I was a big fan of the Nighthawk 750 as a "Do everything" bike, and this 1100 seems like it would be an updated version of that bike, and have a bit more power as well. I did have a chance to ride one quite awhile ago, but it was on a day when I also rode five or six other models and I find my memory of that specific bike is a bit vague, mixing in with the other bikes I tried as well. At 540 pounds it is certainly not a real lightweight, but I think compared to the GW it would feel like a feather. I would likely try to find a way to add some hard luggage, a small windscreen, and at least a throttle lock since it has no cruise control. I was wondering if any here on the Goldwing forum are familiar with this bike and might have some advice or comments about it. Being only 5'7", the 31 inch seat height on this bike is about the limit of how high I would be willing to go in that area.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I think you might be on a pretty good track there. That CB is low to the ground. Go to www.mccruise.com for electronic cruise control options. Another bike that could meet your needs that I think is really a good post- GL1800 option is the Honda VFR1200X. Hard bags are available. I would bet lowering kits including dog bones and seat are available. I checked one out the other day and it looks really good, reviews are great.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I’ve got a 2014 STD model, and really enjoy it. You can find more info & ask questions at the forum link below.

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/index.php

FWIW, this year’s rally is in Summersville, WV (September). Great people and it’s well organized.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Different bikes for different purposes in my opinion.

I like a windshield, cruise control, heated seat and grips, XM radio and highway pegs for out of town riding.

If I was going down the road for breakfast or lunch I could do with less.

·
Registered
323 Posts
They can look amazing although a completely different machine. I guess if you can live with more of a UJM than a goldwing it could work. Have considered picking up a used one to fix up. Still thinkin about it.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
The CB1100 is gorgeous. If your rides are limited to 100 miles, it's a great choice. Depending on you age, it's probably not a touring bike. At 25 yrs, I could ride it across the country. At 70 years old... no way.

I love the looks of the CB1100 and I came very close to buying one as a second bike. I came very close, but never pulled the trigger.

I thought about the CB1100 for a couple of years and then Kawasaki introduced the 2018 Z900RS and I fell in love and bought it.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
That’s an interesting dilemma. I have a ‘15 Goldwing and a ‘14 CB1100 Standard. I ride solo, so my situation is a little different. When I plan a distance ride or one that includes interstate riding, I gravitate towards the GW for reasons you stated. Local or state routes, the CB gets the nod. When I’m done touring, the Goldwing will need to find a new home. I’ll hang on the CB1100 for the around town trips. It’s a great inexpensive choice and a blast to ride! If you make that purchase choice, you won’t regret it!

PS. Check out the thread on the “2019 CB1100 East Coast Rally” this coming September. We’d love to see your new future
bike and meet you in person!

(My bike packed for the rally last year in Berea KY)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts