GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out the '18 I'm in the process of buying has one installed. I understand it's slightly larger than the OEM windshield. What are the improvements over the OEM, and drawbacks, if there are any?

·
Registered
71 Posts
far greater wind protection but vision distortion in the curve area.
i'm happy with mine even after shortening it by a 2 inches.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I bought an 18 inch to replace the 16 inch that comes standard an a non tour wing. I'm 6ft 0 inches and its about right at the lowest setting. highway speeds I'll riase it a little but I have never liked looking through any windshield.The recurve helps it feel taller, but you can't raise it to look through it as it distorts at the curve.
For the real hot summer months I will probably put the stock low one on as I like the look better.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
The 2018 I got ended up having a tinted Clockworks installed on it. I gave it my best shot for having it and ended up going back to the dealer a few weeks after trying to use and said "I cannot take this pos any more....." and wanted the original. Since this was my third brand new Wing I bought from them, they switched it out giving me a stock. I like the stock much better. What I did not like about the Clockworks windshield...... 1. Being tinted, at night, the road about to go under the bike just vanishes in the dark tinting. 2. The curve a the top distorted what I was looking at like a fun house mirror. 3. The "spade" shape meant I was looking at things both through a part of the distortion zone and not through the windshield at all. 4. It provided no extra wind protection, in one way, it was worse because I was forced to keep it lower than what I wanted to try and reduce issues 1 through 3.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just found out the '18 I'm in the process of buying has one installed. I understand it's slightly larger than the OEM windshield. What are the improvements over the OEM, and drawbacks, if there are any?
I have the shorter version in light tint and I like it very much it has better wind control than stock due to the curves on the top and sides. It makes the bike look better in my opinion. Riding in rain I wish I would have gotten the taller version which is 2.5” taller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
There is a company named Klock Werks that sells very similar, some might say identical, products. :sneaky:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a company named Klock Werks that sells very similar, some might say identical, products. :sneaky:
Lol! I haven't seen the bike in person yet, and I've never heard of the company (however it's spelled), or their products before...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Lol! I haven't seen the bike in person yet, and I've never heard of the company (however it's spelled), or their products before...
The shield isn't bad, IMO; I have a very similar one that is sold by Long Range Shields, called the Taka S. I bought the LRS product simply due to price, it's a lot cheaper than the Klock Werks, and I hit a 50% off sale a few Valentine's Days ago. Hard to beat a $55 windshield.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Klock Werks has been around since 1997.
They must produce good products then. This will be my first bike that's had a windshield, so I've never had any reason to even look into the market...If I end up not liking it, I'm sure I could trade someone for an OEM windshield...

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have both 18 and 20 Klock Werks. The 20 for cold temps and is on now. I’m 5’9” and look over both. Even in the winter, I ride with my modular shield open down in the 30s.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts