GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Yep. It's fairly easy and you get good instructions with the kit. The only scary parts are drilling the holes, on for wire harness and one for Antenna.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I installed the Honda CB myself this past summer. It is not a difficult job. The wiring is easy, everything is designed so the plugs cannot be connected wrong. The hardest part is getting the antenna holes drilled so the CB antenna lines up with the radio antenna. Just take your time, plan on about 3 - 4 hours to do a neat job.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Installed one last spring. Instructions are fairly good but they tell you to remove trunk. This is not necessary but you do have to remove four bolts in bottom of trunk so that you can lift trunk up enough to get good (safe) drilling angle for harness. I used 2X4 wedged between inner fender and trunk to block trunk up in position to drill. I also converted all metric drilling demensions to the "inch standard" because I'm to cheap to buy sets of metric bits.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Ya.. what they said

Get the shop manual if you don't have it. Will pay for itself the first use!
Only the price of one hour of shop time.

3 hours or so, pretty straight forward. Like said above, you don't have to remove the trunk, just drill carefully!

The CB, as @)&%#)&$^&$ expensive as it is, is worth it. You can't beat the integration...

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Have done two to date and a fun job all in all. The hole in the trunk can be drilled without any moving or undoing of the trunk. A right angle drill with the proper hole saw and it's a done deal. As has been mentioned before as you undo the the top shelter bolts be sure and keep them in order as they are different in design and size. If you have any questions prior to installation feel free to call.
Gary

S

·
0 Posts
If you have the correct size hole saw you should be able to turn it by hand without using a drill. It is just plastic and the saw will cut through fairly easy.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Installing CB Radio

Actually gentlemen,
Installing the radio does not require loosening the trunk. I have 4 installs under my belt along with two CD's. I removed the seat, and then drilled the trunk from the outside. A high speed drimmel or a hole saw will do just nicely. I used a round rat tail file to clean up the edges. :D

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Planning on putting in the Honda CB.

OK, the seat, & trunk doesn't scare me. But the thought of removing the top shelter does. If it take the rest of you 3 to 4 hours, then it'll probably take me at least 6 hours. LOL Is there any other "tricks" i need to know about? I just hate the thought of tearing apart our new baby. :shock: I do have the service manual, so I hope It will make the job go a little easier. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
there's no need to take off the top shelter .... loosening it and prying up the front right side is all that's necessary .... all you have to do is locate the connector and plug in the harness and you can do that easily with the shelter loose instead of off ...
you do have to remove the pockets, however, to connect in the filters.
It's time consuming ... not hard. :p

·
Registered
58 Posts
antenna

I didn't do mine myself as i installed the rear speakers withouthelp and swore i would never get into that again. :?
I did however have the single antenna from sierra electronics installed and really like the "singularity" of the black antenna and it works very well for a hundred bucks. The "bigPhred" is in Ohio right now and whatever happens I will stay with a CB and a single antenna. They all seem to work well for me.
bob

M

·
0 Posts
I just finished installing the CB I bought from HDL.

All the info on this board was great. Thanks to everyone that posted. Took me about 2 1/2 hours total.

As for the antenna. I have a 2001. The holes for the antenna were already marked on the inside. This took only about 15 minutes. Both antennas line up nicely.

·
Registered
165 Posts
honda cb install

the basic install is easy, use the sierra elctronics ant. and splitter save lots of time and effort and works great, to keep track of the differant screw sizes and location take a piece of wood drill two lines of 1/4 inch holes down either side of it and as you take the screws out put them in the holes in the order you take them out , greatly simplifys reassembly

R

·
0 Posts
cb

I agree with some of the above,i just did mine and if you want you can use a 1&1/8 spade bit and you dont have to drill where the mark but about 3/8s above no truble, as for the antenna i also used the sierra and it works great my cb even works inside my metal building and i swear i think my fm sounds better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts