GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of establishing a dealer agreement to sell and install the Autocom system. They have a 2-unit initial order requirement and I've only got a need for one unit right now.

If anyone is interested in this system, I'll make you a good deal on the initial order... 8)

You can find more information on their equipment at their websitehttp://www.autocomamerica.com/index.asp, and you can contact me if you need any details.

·
Vendor
21,873 Posts
Autocom

FYI, I have been using the Autocom for about 7 or 8 years now. I wrote a couple reviews of the old Pro3000 and the newer ProM1 several years back.

http://www.concours.org/sc/ACeval.html

http://www.concours.org/sc/ProM1.html

I also have had the Autocom ProM1 installed on the wing for about the last 35K miles or so. There are some pluses and minuses to using it on the Wing. One big plus is that it gets rid of all the wind noise and microphonics that the stock intercom is subjected to. It also integrates in with the existing stereo on the bike, you can just turn the wings intercom off and use all the other functions as normal (except CB). One down side is that you have to remove the existing headset connectors on the bike and replace them with the Autocoms unit. You also have to find a place to put the unit and deal with the wiring aspect (under the seat or in a left rear passanger pocket). The helmet speakers are also a bit hard to get aligned properly (I replaced mine with $7 LabTech speakers). The unit has it's own CB/FRS interface cord, so you can't use it with the stock CB. I use FRS anyway and it works EXTREMLY well that way.

Overall, I am real happy with the Autocoms performance, and I sure don't miss the wind noise. The built in VOX means no buttons to push and no wind noise when you aren't speaking, as the mics are then shut off. The unit also has some noise cancellation circuits that do a REAL good job of filtering out the wind when you are speaking. I have used mine at speed way into the triple digits (on another bike) and have had no problem with wind noise washing out the speach like other systems seem to do above about 80mph.

I would have a hard time going back to the stock system after using the autocom although I sometimes miss the ability to adjust the mute and volume on the intercom itself like you could on the Wing (the Autocom intercom is a fixed volume for the speach).

Overall, I think it is a step up from the Wing's system in several respects and I am happy with it. It still isn't perfect, but it is a whole lot better than what Honda gave us. By the way, this system is also used on the BMW KLT.

B

·
0 Posts
potential autocom buyer

i'm close to buying an Autocom. But not to get rid of wind noise because I've already done that with MicMutes. Still can't stand the rest of the bike body being "alive" and amplifiying body sounds and road noise (not wind noise) through the system even when the mics have been muted by MicMutes. It's amazing how much noise is put in the headsets by the Honda intercom even when the mics are dead. I've spent $350 on J&M headsets, $100 on useless J&M wind noise filters, $75 on the Honda wiring harness isolator, and $150 on MicMutes and still gotten nowhere. Shoulda started with AutoCom in the first place had I known about it in 2002. Just hard to stomach the price. And what about defeating my $800 CB? whooeeeee.

·
Vendor
21,873 Posts
Yes, I know what you are talking about. When I switched to the Autocom system all the microphonics noise went away. I was amazed at how much better the music suddenly became. I was able to reduce the overall volume quite a bit as well.

I used to actually be able to hear the engine run in the headsets when the Honda intercom was turned up above about 10, even with the mics dissconnected. I even called the Honda Customer Service hotline about it and never got an answer back from them.

This is one of the bigger advantages of the Autocom system over stock. It gets rid of all that annoying engine and road noise that the internal microphonics of the crappy GL1800's intercom.

I find it amazing that anyone would design an intercom system for a motorcycle that actually AMPLIFES engine and road noise and sends it to the helmet. As if you didn't have enough noise already.

And to my knowledge, Honda still has not even acknowledged the problem!!

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been going back and forth with Autocom on the CB integration question.

The've got a cable that provides a two-way interface between the Autocom unit and the GL1800's audio system (P/N: IL-G8 ).

This cable plugs into the passenger's headset connector (under the seat) and picks up the audio output of the bikes system and pipes it into the Autocom's audio input. The Autocom unit now processes the music muting (on GPS, RD or cellphone operation), auto volume adjustments, etc.

They also feed the output of the microphone system from the Autocom unit into the intercom/CB system at this connection.

The OEM PTT still activates the CB as normal and the VOX system activates the intercom automatically (the Autocom intercom, not the POS Honda unit) - that can now blissfully stay off.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Jon

Could I ask you to consider those of us who do not have broadband next time you think of including in your signature an animated GIF of over half a megabyte?!

Thanks

·
Vendor
21,873 Posts
Interface Lead

I have the interface lead that connectes the passengar lead to the Autocom. I also have a Kennedy Radar Detector interface that connects my Valentine One to the GL1800 intercom and I have Kenwood FRS radios connected to the Autocom for bike to bike comm. It all works real slick and has performed well for the last 35 K. I have taken many trips with my wife on back and my buddy on his Triumph Trophy where all three of us could talk to each other, listen to music, and have radar overrides as well as the weather band from the Wings system, etc etc.

I don't have a CB on my bike, so I am not familar with how it integrates into the system, though I do know that Autocom makes interface adapters that allow you to connect several aftermarket CB's (or FRS radios like I have).

I am happy with the performance of the system, though I do have a couple gripes. I guess the biggest complaint is that the VOX is a bit finicky to get the trip point set so that it won't trip in crosswinds, yet doesn't require yelling to activate it. The old Autocom system had a microphone integrated into the riders headset lead that would sense the wind noise and automatically adjust the VOX trip point as you sped up. They did away with it on the Pro3000 (why I will never know) and as a result the VOX is not as smooth in operation.

But that really is a nit pick. The system is far and away better than the GL1800 intercom system in all respects.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Autocom

I was getting prepared to buy an intercom system, and I haven't yet. I am not familiar with the Autocom. I don't have a CB, so I'm not concerned with that. How can I learn more about it and get pricing? Jon

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
....................... OOPS!

I made the original post before receiving my dealer agreement from Autocom. They have a policy of supporting their local dealers and the customers they may have already been working with, so they do not allow mail-order or web-based sales.

I'm sorry that I might have mislead anyone in my original post, I was honestly just trying to extend a deal to my fellow board members.

If you need or want any information on their product, I'd be happy to help in any way I can and I've got some nice brochures that I could mail you if you'd like to review their catalog and product offerings.

I'm sorry... :(

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Jon,

You have nothing to be sorry about. You do more good for this board than anyone.

Just remember, "No good deed, will ever go unpunished!".

Dawg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts