GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI, I had my ECM update completed, then ask my dealer for my old ECM "just in case". No problem replied the service manager, and handed me my original ECM. I like keeping all my original parts.

Just a thought you might want to consider. :idea:

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
I am amazed that he gave it to you. Normally, customers are not entitled to warranty parts. Most mfrs either have a core return, or require the servicer to hold warranty parts for 90 days and dispose of them. I wonder how many of these ECM's will end up in bikes on out of warranty repairs a few years down the road.

Larry

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I didn't know that you could ask for it, so I didn't when I had mine changed. I figured that they sent it back to Honda.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LarryM said:
Most mfrs either have a core return, or require the servicer to hold warranty parts for 90 days and dispose of them.

Larry
Larry, the dealer has since told me they are supposed to keep them for 30 days, then dispose of them. At this point you might ask your dealer anyway, maybe he still has it (or another one for the same year, they are all the same). Just a thought.

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
Thanks, I'm going to check with my dealer. If anything, it will help as a troubleshooting tool in the event of a problem down the road.
Larry

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
Thanks for the good info. I thought that they would be required to send them back to Honda.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
From what I understand the Dealers keep the old parts untill the Honda Service Rep sees them and tells them what to do with 'em. Normaly it is 30 to 90 days hold for the Rep then if he still hasn't told the Dealer what to do with 'em they are pitched out in the trash. With the ECM's they are held for the Rep OK then pitched like all other recall parts unless there is some special reason Honda want's to look as a specific piece. The ECM's are sealed units and arn't rebuildable and unlike most other ECM's can't be updated with a memory flash. That is the price Honda is paying for being so backwards with the 1800's electronics.

Jerry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts