GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It'll be 31 years this August since I was there. In 1988, my unit, A battery, 1st Bn 4th FA from Ft. Lewis, fought the forest fires in that area. It had been one hundred years since the last fire there, unfortunately the back fire set by the Fire Service, went the wrong way, passing through both those little communities and our fire camp. The water lines running from the springs on the mountain to the water tank for Silver Gate were melted, and it wouldn't be long before the first snow would hit. Three days later, my unit was sent to assist the Sheriff and a couple other men from the town to try and install new lines. It didn't look good, and the Sheriff was certain we wouldn't get it done before the snow hit. Luck and a lot of hard work paid off, we had water running into the tank by 4:30 that evening. The town would have water for the Winter. This Summer, Leslie and I plan on making a trip back and would love to go up and take a couple pictures for the scrap book.

·
Registered
526 Posts
No but I rode there a couple years ago.

If you need a place to stay we really enjoyed the family run Alpine Lodge in Red Lodge. Bike friendly, nightly camp fires and hot breakfasts.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know, thank you. Kinda coincidental, my Grandfather was born in Red Lodge. I could visit 2 personally historic sites in one trip.

Reactions: CAWing
1 - 3 of 3 Posts