GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I just recently got it in my mind to sell my fun, but small Honda 919 and up-size to either a sport tourer ( probably an ST1300) or a Wing. My new s.o. rode on the back of my '04 919 last season and at the end of a 200+ mile day was anxious to get off :? We aren't physically all that large ourselves, I'm 5'9" about 185lbs. she's about the same height and about 160lbs. I plan to keep my other bike which is in "surgery" for a custom paint job to go with all the chrome and other goodies already installed. It's an '03 XX I bought new as a leftover in '05.
Problem is, I'm torn between the comfort and long distance capability of a Wing vs the sporty-ness fun of the ST1300. Wish I could borrow one of each for a full day with her on board to have her help me to decide. I've owned a few Wings already. These were a naked 90% stock show winner '78 GL1000, a '94 Aspencade and a top of the line red '95 ST. I never rode an ST1300 and only briefly rode a new Wing 1800.
Anyone here move up to a Wing from an ST1300? There's some excellent deals on ebay recently on '05 leftover STs for around $10K-$10.5K.

cheers, Steve

·
Registered
393 Posts
Steve
Where you at?
I believe the passenger is going to have the most noticeable difference between the two bikes. The wing tears up the corners as does the st1300. When riding solo the 1300 does show a little more sport bike tendencies but the wing shows so many of its own that it is hardly noticeable the difference. The wing is purely controlled by counter steering and is not affected at all by body lean. Its like the bike says to you ... yeah your leaning so?
The passenger though will notice a vast difference between the two bikes. There is nothing like that back seat on the market. Many of us will push the cruise control and ride it down the highway.
Hope this helps.
Glen

·
Registered
918 Posts
I went from a ST to my first Wing in '05, I've never looked back. For the rider their is no comparison. My wife rides all day on the Wing and both of us often feel better at the end of the day than when we got on. At the end of the day on the ST I've litterally "crawled" off.

I spent thousands of dollars trying to make the ST a day long, comfortable tourer and never got near what the Wing is and spent overall almost as much money on the ST to buy the Wing.

B

·
0 Posts
I'm probably not one to advise you but I can tell you our experience. Going from sport bikes to cruisers to the '04 ST1300 was like going back to a sport bike. Almost. I absoluelty loved the ST1300. I had a hard time riding it under 80-90 mph. It loves to go fast.

But a 3 hour trip was torture for my wife. I spent $800 on a Russell "Day Long" saddle and it didn't help her.

March 2005 we traded the ST for a Wing and rode all over the place. She can ride all day on the OEM saddle. We rode 20 days, 6000 miles, in Sep 05. WE both love it.

March 2006 we converted to a trike. We love it even more. But you are probably too young to even consider that. I just mention it because of my picture. but she can still ride tank-tank-tank without complaint.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Glen is spot on.. The ST is a more refined canyon carver but also quite comfy for the rider.. The biggest diff between the two is for the passenger, but you are trading off some thrills for that comfort.. I'm sure someone else will chime in with some better detail for ya..

Keep in mind that "comfort" is a totally subjective opinion!!! I can comfortably do a 600mi back road day on my Speed Triple, but wouldn't recommend it as "comfortable" for anybody else..

BTW: You can hang off a Wing and get faster through the twisties with less lean.. Ya just gotta skooch a LOT more and keep your shoulders parallel to the bars to get your butt off that huge seat (not easy, but it can be done).. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
76 Posts
RE: From ST1300 to a Goldwing

I went from an 05 FJR 1300 (probably the best sport tour bike made) and bought an 07 Goldwing about a month ago. By far the biggest difference is noticing the size and increased comfort levels. My wife was fairly comfortable on the FJR, but now, she is in love, especially the long rides.

I have found the wing to be very nimble and just as much fun to ride in the twisties. It don't have that extreme pull when you twist that throttle, but it still jumps out there. Best decision I made lately.

·
Registered
148 Posts
GW/ST1300

I went from a 1800 wing to a ST1300, then back to a wing then about a month ago back to a ST1300. Yes, I am crazy or at least my wife thinks so.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Went from an '03 ST to an '03 1800. Could not comfortably do a 7-8 hour day on the ST; Can and usually want to do more than that with the Wing. Speed, agility and comfort are all there for both rider and passenger. While I had to sell the ST, I would have liked to have kept it for local use- can't be beat for that.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I sold my ST1300 about a year ago. It handles considerably better that the Goldwing. The ST1300 also has a hell of a lot more power. It is really a fun bike to ride. Crack the throttle open in first gear and the wheel comes off the ground. I sold mine mainly because it was the first year model non-abs model which did not have the electric windshield. I also didn't really care for the sound of the V-4 and not a lot of accessories are available for them either. If you ride two up you have to go with the Wing. No brainer. I want an ST AND a Wing!!

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
For over a year, I owned both an ST1300 and a Goldwing. I sold the ST 8 months ago and bought a FJR1300. The ST is a nice sport tourer, but if you are looking to buy a new bike for two up riding, and keeping your 919 as your solo bike, I highly recommend the Goldwing. It's an awesome two up bike, and still handles well enough that unless your wife is willing on some serious fast riding, the Goldwing will go as fast as she is likely to want to go anyway (even in the corners).

If the new bike is to be your only bike, and you want it to be the best compromise to serve your sporting needs AND two-up needs, then I recommend an FJR1300. Nothing against the ST, but if you have sporting blood, the FJR is the better of the two.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Count me in. ST1300 was sold about a month after I bought the GW... not enough real differences to keep both. But, I still have a mod'd Valk, too.

I could never get 100% "long distance" comfortable on the ST despite of lots of upgrades and changes (risers, stacked risers, four saddles, etc). It was a blast to ride for shorter distances (< 200 miles).

The GW, on the other hand, fit me like a glove right out of the box. I have changed seats to get leather, added pipes (and taken them back off) and other stuff (but NOT chrome), but it is still a very-close-to-stock bike.

Immediately prior to the ST I had a 2002 VTX and a HD Dyna. Prior to that, about 25 others over the years, from Allstates and Zundaps (when I was a kiddo) to BSAs, Triumphs and HDs.

Without a doubt, the GW is the best all-aorund bike ever for me. :lol:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Steve Smith said:
I plan to keep my other bike which is in "surgery" for a custom paint job to go with all the chrome and other goodies already installed. It's an '03 XX I bought new as a leftover in '05.
Dump the 919, get a wing and keep the blackbird. Sounds like a plan. Wing is great for 2-up touring and long distance riding. Your wife will appreciate it.

BTW... your blackbird is already similar in nature to the FJR and the ST except it's way way faster.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the input people! I pretty much knew I was leaning towards the big gun before I posted this thread. I loved my new at the time 20th anniversary red SE. I was able to purchase it brand new in '95 with cash I received from an out of court settlement law suit (bad cycle accident back in '94). I took my new toy to the Wing Ding in Maddison Wis. About 1100+ miles one way for me ( I'm just north of Northeast Philadelphia,PA.)
I'll sell the 919 and a new enclosed trailer I've used all of 100 miles and buy a new Wing. I'm also buying a new '07 Monte Carlo SS which should be built to my specs and delivered sometime in mid to late Jan. The Wing is gonna have to wait untill April or May untill I can swing it. Some of the left over sales going on now sure are tempting! I don't need or want an airbag, nav system or even heated grips. Just a "standard" model is fine. In the mean time I'll lurk around here if ya'll don't mind. I am quite active on the XX site though.
cheers all, Steve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts