GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came across Uni-Go trailers on another site.

Seems like it might be a more useful (and safe, with the one center wheel?) to go motorcycle camping..

I say more useful just because I don't mind packing a tent, etc (v. having a popup) and it looks like even after packing a tent in there you'd have more storage room than you'd have in a camper (while going down the road).

Any input on these trailers would be much appreciated!

Michael

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I just came across Uni-Go trailers on another site.

Seems like it might be a more useful (and safe, with the one center wheel?) to go motorcycle camping..

I say more useful just because I don't mind packing a tent, etc (v. having a popup) and it looks like even after packing a tent in there you'd have more storage room than you'd have in a camper (while going down the road).

Any input on these trailers would be much appreciated!

Michael
There's a few out there who have them. They seem to be a pretty good trailer. You can actually roll them into your hotel room at night. That way you don't have to unpack. It just becomes a rolling suitcase.

Here's another option, and much cheaper:

http://www.alsmotorcycleaccessories.com/uni_mate_one_wheel_trailer.html

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I just recently went through the trailer selection process and there are 11 brands of single-wheel trailers that I found, though some appear to be for sale in Europe only.

After a great deal of deliberation I finally decided on a Uni-go.

They had it ready to ship within 10 days of when I placed my order, including color match paint.

It's currently sitting out in my garage waiting for me to install my hitch and put the wheel and draw bar on the trailer.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have one and I love it. 40,000 trouble free miles to date. It more than doubles the bikes capacity and it only weighs 70lbs.

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
I've had a UniGo for 5 years. Love it . For me it's a perfect trailer.
****:lol:

·
Curious Member
877 Posts
Count me in as a Uni-Go promoter. I bought mine last year. There is plenty of room for 50 kg (110 lb) of cargo. My smarter half and I took a three week trip and had no problem putting our camping gear, clothes, hiking boots, etc. in the trailer.
It tows beautifully and as stated is easy to bring into a motel or hotel room.
A big advantage to having a single wheel trailer is that if you miss a hazard with the bike tires you will also miss it with the trailer tire. There is no danger of a trailer wheel catching the edge of the pavement if you get too close to the side. The Uni-Go is narrow so if the bike fits between two obstacles the trailer will also...
Only thing I found was that I was never really sure if it was still back there!!!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Only thing I found was that I was never really sure if it was still back there!!!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Funny you should wonder if it's still there. I find myself regularly asking my wife "Is it still back there?". We like ours.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well geeze I'm all giddy to get one now..but they are so darned expensive. Looks like the better part of $3,000 once you get the hitch, etc.. ouch.

Were any of you able to get any sort of deal anywhere??

Michael

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Well geeze I'm all giddy to get one now..but they are so darned expensive. Looks like the better part of $3,000 once you get the hitch, etc.. ouch.

Were any of you able to get any sort of deal anywhere??

Michael
Post on the Wanted To Buy, and the Trailer forums. Plus keep an eye on the For Sale forum. I just recently sold my Uni-Go to a fellow board member for a lot less than new.

:yes1:

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Unigo

I have had one since they 1st came out. All of the reasons posted here are valid plus it fits under the workbench in the garage during the off season and fills in as a storage unit. It is also great to take into the motel room instead of leaving it outside or chained to a tree etc etc when you get to a destination.

·
Curious Member
877 Posts
I have had one since they 1st came out. All of the reasons posted here are valid plus it fits under the workbench in the garage during the off season and fills in as a storage unit. It is also great to take into the motel room instead of leaving it outside or chained to a tree etc etc when you get to a destination.

Since I live in an apartment with no garage I have mine in a corner of my living room (yes I'm single) with some gear stored inside. My sweetie says she will help me clean out my storage locker one day and I can slip it in there instead.
:coffee1:

·
Curious Member
877 Posts
Funny you should wonder if it's still there. I find myself regularly asking my wife "Is it still back there?". We like ours.
I do the same. I'm thinking of putting some sort of antenna on it so I can see it in the mirrors. It might also help for visibility when people pull up behing at stops.

·
Registered
33 Posts
trailer

I just bought one from a fellow in Texas and with shipping it came to $1600.00............love it and tows so well. Came with Bra and bags.........keep looking on this site and ebay.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Uni_Go

A fellow rider has one and both times he took it he had a problem with it. On a trip to Canada the axle bearings went. He bought his uni_go from overseas because there were No dealers in the states. They hornored the warrenty and replaced all the parts. Things went well... Riding behind him, I couldn't believe how well it rode , Almost like it wasn't there!... Last year we went down to the Devils Triangle and Back. When we got home we noticed the trailer a little closser to the ground the usual. After pulling it apart we found the welds on the center plate between the frames had broken and pulled away. We welded a 1/4" plate to reinforce it. Now hopefully ALL the bugs are out and should trailer Happily ever after.... Note.... even after all this I do believe its the best game in town.... JMO PS: This trailer was NEVER overloaded

·
Registered
477 Posts
They seem like a very nice trailer but a little expensive, especially considering their relatively small cargo capacity.

·
Registered
276 Posts
They seem like a very nice trailer but a little expensive, especially considering their relatively small cargo capacity.
Diamonds ain't big either, and ain't cheap - but my wife still like's 'em. :coffee1:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have had mine for 2 years now. I have pulled it 30,000 miles. I replace the bearings every year whether they need it or not. It is worth the $30 for the peace of mind to me. The last time I replaced the bearings I noticed some damage. There are some acorn nuts on the suspension and have appeared to rub into the fiberglass shell a little bit. You can't see this unless you take the wheel off and look for it. I was wondering if anybody else had the same problem? The finish on the wheel looks kind of bad too. Not what I expect on a $3,000 trailer. Again mine was made 2 years ago so hopefully that have that stuff worked out.
Other than that it has been a good trailer. It is nice when you swerve to miss a pothole the trailer misses it too.
I think if I was to do it over again I would get the combination lock instead of the key. I keep the trailer key on my keyring with my bike key. I can't tell you how many times I have had to turn the bike off to open the trailer because I forgot something.
When me and my SO goes for a long trip we can get enough in the trailer for 9 days and leave both saddle bags empty on the bike. She usually has the saddle bags filled up souvenirs by the time we get back.
It is really nice when you get to a place like bike week in Daytona. It would be hard to find a place to park your bike at the rally with a trailer so I just take my trailer off and pull it into the room. You don't have to worry about it sitting outside in the motel parking lot.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Uni-Go Trailer

I do the same. I'm thinking of putting some sort of antenna on it so I can see it in the mirrors. It might also help for visibility when people pull up behing at stops.
One of those fiberglass whips like they use on ATV's would do the trick nicely. You could even replace the flag with one of your own choosing, like amarican flag or POW etc.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts