GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I have to remove the right front fairing on my '08 to have it painted. Has anyone removed one and how hard is it to do?
I have searched the web looking for help via videos or step by step instructions but not much there. Any and all help appreciated.

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
Yes ... have done a few. However, it is probably easier to remove the entire cowl and then seporate the 2 halves.

However ... here are instructions to remove the right cowl only, from my memory:
- remove seat
- remove shelter
- remove the right vent at the back of the rad.
- NOTE how the cowl wraps around the radiator stay next to the vent ... to free the cowl from there, pull the cowl outward
- release the windshield levers and remove the rubbers at the levers
- remover garnish
- remover windscreen
- NOTE see how the most rearward, outward, and lower part of the visor interlocks into the cowl ??? Remember that when reinstalling. Those tabs often get broke.
- now remove, or at least unbolt and slide up and rest it on the sub-frame (if your have Navi), visor
- remove windscreen
- remove lower center cowl
- remove upper center cowl
- remove frt center cowl (between headlamps)
- remove right inner cowl
- unplug headlamp motor
- reach in from the back and unplug both right headlamps, and the temp sensor, and the BAS if possible
- from the underside in the center of the cowl, loosen the bolt on the left, and remove the bolt on the right for the lower headlamp plate
- working from the top, loosen the bolt on the left, and remove the bolt on the right for the upper headlamp plate
- remove 4 screws where the cowls come together between the headlamps
- rotate the right mirror rearward, and remove the single 8mm bolt
- have an 9" pick handy, and gently pull the cowl free. If the BAS was not unplugged from above, do that now, and with the pick, free the white clip holding the low beam harness.
- gently pull the harness away fro the bike

You will then need to separate the headlamp assembly, louver, vent, and vent cover from the cowl. Most of the fasteners can only go in one place, except for some of the small screws. Some might be longer (more then 10mm) than others ... I usually mark the long screw holes with a Sharpie. Since you panel is getting painted, be sure to take pictures of your Sharpie marks since they may get covered with paint.

To reinstall ... see the big, black, boss at the back side of the headlamp assembly ??? Now locate its mating grommet in the sub frame. Before installing, spray the boss and grommet with dish soap/water solution. The white clip that holds headlamp harness can be installed once the cowl is reinstalled, but possibly not the BAS. So plug the BAS in as your are installing the cowl. Don't forget to keep in mind how the back part of the cowl wraps around the radiator stay.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Hi there. I have to remove the right front fairing on my '08 to have it painted. Has anyone removed one and how hard is it to do?
I have searched the web looking for help via videos or step by step instructions but not much there. Any and all help appreciated.
PM Sent.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I have, its simpler to remove the whole front end as a unit and then take the panel off. It's only a few screws hold the front end on best I can remember. I got the information off of this forum but cant remembered how I searched for it. It was also cheaper to buy the panel pre painted than to buy the paint and have it painted. A perfect match.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Not to disagree but an 11 year old panel will have sun faded and a brand new one will be a different shade. A color match with fresh paint will provide a better color match. If the panel is in good shape, I would think having it painted/color matched would be cheaper than a new panel.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
It was also cheaper to buy the panel pre painted than to buy the paint and have it painted. A perfect match.
Absolutely! I did this on a BMW I had some years ago and I did it recently on the 2013 Goldwing I have now. It took a nap last September. I replaced quite a bit of the painted bodywork on the right side of the bike, including the portion of the fairing that it sounds like the OP is dealing with. No problems with the color match what-so-ever on either bike. Frankly, I was a bit surprised (both times), but they have been very pleasant surprises. I'd be far more concerned that a locally painted piece, that matched perfectly today, would not match within a year or two.

Reactions: WVMANDINGO

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the help and info. Much appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts