GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about riding from Reno to the Arches NP in late April. Does anyone have info on Hwy 50 and what the weather might be like in late April across Nevada and Utah?

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,602 Posts
Don't know what the weather will be like in April. I've been on it a couple of times. The last time was with Donnieontheroad. Just make sure you stop in the few towns across there to get fuel. Following Donnie from Ely, we made real good time and got to Delta in plenty of time for breakfast!! ;) (y)

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
On an average the lows will be in the upper 30's and the high should be in low 60's; understand that this is an average and can vary from brutally cold to warm. I would bet on the warm & wet side right now just on the way the weather is behaving. Lot of hype on Hwy 50, know as the loneliest road in America, so named by life magazine years ago. It is far from the loneliest road but makes good press. We love the Hotel Nevada in Ely; a historic facility, great restaurant and very bike friendly. As Monk said, don't pass up fuel stops. If you send for the Hwy 50 survival guide (you can pick it up in Reno or Ely on either end) and make the required stops and have the booklet stamped; the Nevada will send you a certificate for surviving Hwy 50; cheezy I know but what the heck and we found some places that we would not have found otherwise.
Hwy 50 survival guide.jpeg

·
Registered
633 Posts
On a cross country trip I rode I-80 east out of Reno to Fernley NV where I picked up 50. I rode 50 to Ely, then about 60 miles east of Ely, on a tip from another rider, I turned south off 50 onto 487 headed for Baker NV. After Baker, 487 crosses into UT and becomes UT 21. The next town is Garrison UT, then kept on 21 through the Wah Wah mountains to Milford UT, then south on 30 through Minersville UT to Cedar City. That was a day's ride I will remember for a long long time. It was in early August so I am no help as to April weather.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I rode US-50 through Nevada a few years ago, and got the T-Shirt and certificate for Surviving the Loneliest Road in America to prove it! It was a very enjoyable ride!

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
It's an excellent ride. Two thoughts: 1.) Keep your gas tank full enough to make it to the next town of significant size. 2.) When approaching or driving through any town; be 110% sure you are not exceeding the posted speed limit. Outside of the town no one seems to care all that much. But in the towns? Every time I've been, I see the local police making lots of new friends. Typically the speed limit will drop 10 mph every 1/10 to 2/10 of a mile as you approach a town. I do NOT assume there is any grey area, I always try to be doing the posted limit (or less) BEFORE I get to any speed limit sign. So far I've been successful. I have not had the pleasure of meeting any of Nevada's finest. I hope to keep it that way.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,602 Posts
If you truly want a "loneliest highway"experience, ride US50 at night. ?
:oops::oops: We pulled out from Ely early going east. It was about an 1 1/2 hour before the sun came up. I got to say, I was sure glad to see the sky begin to light up as the sun began to come up in the east. (y)(y)

·
Registered
8,960 Posts
Late April?

You might be pushing it.

A few years ago, I did an Iron Butt rally in mid-May. Crossing Pequop Summit, elevation 6,967 feet along I-80, it was snowing! ? The storm was about 100 miles further south than it was expected to be.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Late April?

You might be pushing it.

A few years ago, I did an Iron Butt rally in mid-May. Crossing Pequop Summit, elevation 6,967 feet along I-80, it was snowing! ? The storm was about 100 miles further south than it was expected to be.
That was one of the questions I had in my mind. I know it's further south but I know it still gets very cold at higher altitudes and weather can get you. I guess I need to figure out if there are many mountain passes along he way. I'm going to do everything I can to avoid freeways.

·
Registered
441 Posts
About 50 miles east of Fallon take hwy 722. It's a fun ride and breaks up some of the boredom of hwy 50. It comes back in on hwy 50 just west of Austin.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Maybe awesome. Maybe impassable. And not really knowable with any certainty until ~5 days or less out.

@bingle50 did some of the work of looking up what it will probably be. Check almanac data for seasonal averages and be sure to specifically check the mountain passes as well as the towns and valleys. Be fully mission capable for +/- a bit and prepared with contingencies for +/- a lot. Then roll the dice and roll.

It's been a while since I blew through there. I suspect you'll have awesome weather but some chill at altitude that decent heated gear should handle readily. However, be prepared to route around the high passes, particularly closer to Reno/Tahoe, if there's any weather blowing through on your particular days.

·
Registered
8,960 Posts
That was one of the questions I had in my mind. I know it's further south but I know it still gets very cold at higher altitudes and weather can get you. I guess I need to figure out if there are many mountain passes along he way. I'm going to do everything I can to avoid freeways.
There are many passes along the way - which is why the area is known as the Basin and Range region.

See the following link: Nevada Highway 50/Highway 50 - Loneliest Road in America/Elevation Profile - Hwy 50 Fernley to Border

·
Registered
633 Posts
The passes and basins were really cool to this easterner. The valleys were 10 to 25 miles wide and wide open space and in some cases as I was descending the back side of one range I could see all the way across the valley, see for miles, to where the road started the climb up the next one. I knew more twisties lay ahead after a high speed transit across next basin.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts

·
Registered
8,960 Posts
Nice link. Thanks. I remember that last big dose of Nevada before a slightly less lumpy western third of Utah, but I don't think I ever knew it got that high.
"The high of 10032 feet was in the Great Basin National Park on the Wheeler Peak Scenic drive. In between are the many mountain passes and valleys. "

So, no, not directly on US-50 - but close enough to display those valleys and passes.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
^ aha! Thanks for the clarification.

I got thrown off by "profile of Hwy 50..." and didn't follow the detour in the description. From creeping on Google Maps with terrain, without reading the dude's whole website, I'm guessing that profile's peak elevation might be the south face of Buck Mtn. US50 closest pass to that is about 5 miles to NE c. 5800', coming down from a peak back at Sacramento Pass (~8 miles to the NNW of Buck Mtn) where the roads tops out near 7200'.

Still, the big mountains make the weather and those narrow passes, though lower and warmer than the peaks, don't get a complete bye from all that falls down.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts