GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone rode the Canadian Rockies? I saw some footage on TV and they seem beautiful.

Tim

·
Registered
601 Posts
I've ridden the icefield parlway (Banff to Jasper) several times. It is one of the most beautiful rides ever. Other areas are great too. The people are very friendly in Canada and seem to very biker friendly. I ran across one cafe/gas station that catered to bikes. When you stopped to fill up, he brought out windshield cleaning supplies!

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Rode through Jasper, Columbia Ice Fields, Lake Loise, Banff. Enjoyed Hiking, Hot Springs, Camping, Canoeing and the Magnificent Views. I have yet to find a trip anywhere else that is as memorable.

I have done this trip several times either unscripted, planned or guided. You can not go wrong.

Russian Teahouse along Lake Louse trails:

·
Registered
9,099 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Tim -
Rode the Icefield Parkway about 5 years ago. You will not find any more spectacular riding vistas anywhere. If I had stopped to take a picture every time I wanted to - I'd still be there.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I'm there every year. Great scenery and not much in the way or crowds except around Lake Louise and Banff. Just a heads up, the lakes around Banff are usually still ice covered until the middle of June.

·
Registered
21,095 Posts
we were there last year and yes its beautifull

but my favorite is still Galcier park in Montanna, just not sure why

·
Registered
270 Posts
Just got back. You will find this ride hard to beat for scenery.

If you go, come into Banff from the East over Rt 40, the mountains are spectacular.

Also if you stay in Canmore, just 15 min east of Banff, you will save a lot on motels and food.

After Jasper head for Cash Creek and take the road to Whistler. This is another great ride.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Well it would be a given that you would do the “Going to the Sun Highway” through Glacier National Park. So do it East to West. Depending on when you do it be prepared for a bit of a Gong Show. The scenery is great but everyone is looking at it, stop and look, when driving be very aware.
Cut off just past Columbia Falls and head to Whitefish. If you arrive on a weekend have reservations.
From Whitefish head North on 93 to Eureka. Then take 37, known as the Libby Dam road down to Libby then the 2 over to Bonners Ferry.
From Bonners head north on the 95 that turns into the 1. Cross at Portal. Remember, no guns in Canada.
You are now on the 21 to Creston. Find the 3A north out of Creston up to Kootenay Bay. Rated the #1 MC road, not my favourite but OK.
Take the ferry (free) across the lake to Balfour then north on the 31 to Kaslo then across the 31A to New Denver. 31A is one of my favs.
North on the 6 to Nakusp then south on the 6 to Fauquier to the #1 MC gas station in the land. They pump premium at close to regular prices and clean your faceshield.
Across the ferry( free) to Needles. Now you are on my current personal fav, the 6 to Vernon. Usually the curve ahead signs mean multiples.
From Vernon head north on the 97 and keep on the 97 as it heads west through Falkland. This is also a treat of a road.
Hit the #1 Highway and get into Kamloops, in Kamloops head north on 5, stay at the Ski Resort at Sun Peaks, excellent road and it is much cooler and nicer than Kamloops. Excellent food and accommodation at the Delta Hotel.
Head North on the 5 through Barriere and on up to Valemont and Tete Jaune Cache. Turn east on the 16 to Jasper.
Head south on the 93 to Lake Louise and the 1. For a good view of the area head up to the ski hill and take the gondola. Lake Louise can get very busy. Eat at the old railway station in town. Take the Bow Valley Parkway to Banff from Lake Louise. Watch for critters.
In Banff take the turn up to Mount Norquay Ski area. Good food at the Juniper Lodge on the same road. Go up the road to a small turnout and get an insiders view of the valley. Do the Banff thing. If $$$ is no object stay at the Rim Rock Hotel.
If $$ is a concern stay in Canmore just east of the park gates. Neat town.
Take the #1 east to Highway 40 and the Kananaskis . Part of the highway is closed over the winter and it may not show as a route on your GPS.
The 40 turns into the 541 and gets you to Longview and the 22. Head south on the 22 and then east on the 3 then south on the 6, stop at Waterton Park then south to Chief Mountain and you are back at Glacier.

One option would be to tackle Highway 99 from Cache Creek to Whistler after you have gotten to Kamloops. They are building for the Winter Olympics and so I would turn around and go back the 99. Good day trip. Highway 99 takes its turn as my fav MC road. Very light traffic due to the tight turns and STEEP climbs and drops. When you can smell the hot brakes on passenger cars you know the grades are high.

Plan on lots of sight seeing and a slower pace, 2 lane roads where you have to know when to pass.

Welcome to my backyard.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Been there, did that, got the shirt. My advise is go there, do that, get the shirt. One of the mose scenic areas I have ever seen. Competes with the Colorado Rockies.
:cry: I left Seattle area for work 2 years ago, it's a 7 year commitment and then I'm headed home... and I'm taking the long way. IR Harry - Your picturetrail has renewed my spirit. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Here's a few shots I took in British Columbia and Alberta last August (2005). One of the most awe-inspiring rides you can imagine.

Seton Lake, Hwy 99, West of Lillooet, BC

Taken from Hwy 93, Jasper National Park

Sunwapta Valley, Jasper NP

Peyto Lake, Banff NP

Saskatchewan River, Banff NP

Mount Kidd, Hwy 40, Kananaskis Country, AB

·
Registered
43 Posts
Here's a few shots I took in British Columbia and Alberta last August (2005). One of the most awe-inspiring rides you can imagine.
Thanks Helmetdance. I had to circle the family to see these photo's; now we're all homesick. I just started riding again last June and didn't ride at all in WA. In your opinion what would you consider the prime months and shoulder months of the riding season(s) in the BC and Alberta regions? I know I did a lot of paddling in the Gulf Islands area from May to October each year. I froze my tail at both ends of that calendar. Does that parallel MC's? It's got me thinking...

·
Registered
273 Posts
frostkerry said:
Thanks Helmetdance. I had to circle the family to see these photo's; now we're all homesick. I just started riding again last June and didn't ride at all in WA. In your opinion what would you consider the prime months and shoulder months of the riding season(s) in the BC and Alberta regions? I know I did a lot of paddling in the Gulf Islands area from May to October each year. I froze my tail at both ends of that calendar. Does that parallel MC's? It's got me thinking...
I've been up that way twice by MC, both times in August. What kind of temps you will experience depend on your elevation. In the mountains, as in Jasper or Banff National Parks, after a clear night the morning temps can drop into the lower 30s or upper 20s. Warms up during the day to mid 70s to low 80s. Lower elevations would be comparable to the same elevation for that time of year in the States.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Great thread :!:

:oops: Hi-jack warning :oops:

Helmetdance, I would like to say thanks for your ride reports and photos. You have provided hours and hours of viewing enjoyment and motivation for trips. I don't have words to express our appreciation for what you have done except for a simple Thank You.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I have to echo what was just stated. Even spent a bunch of time looking at the rest of the photos. These are the things that keep me on the road.

Thanks, Helmetdance.

·
Registered
21,095 Posts
lots of great info

after reading the Dennis Firth post my map has a bunch of new little X's

THANKS EVERYONE !

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
THANKS MUCH!!

I am from CT. Should I cross the US and then go North or go North to Canada and than West?

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Re: THANKS MUCH!!

Armyneo said:
I am from CT. Should I cross the US and then go North or go North to Canada and than West?
Up to Canada, then West. There is a *lot* of Gohd's Open Country to see up there. Take some time to soak up all the towns on the way. The choice becomes whether you go straight up to Montreal before heading West, or meander over to Toronto ... Depends on your spirit and your time.

Besides, you've probably seen enough of PA, OH etc.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
No matter which way you go, you will miss something.

Take the lesser traveled road.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts