GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is a duplication. Couldn't find a relevant post on the topic despite best efforts.

I've ordered a RAM mount to mount my Garmin GPS (Streetpilot c550) on the clutch. The issue is that I only have one cigarette 12v adapter on my 2001 GW (standard left glove box plug & play). I want to be able to close the box but if I do it will pinch the GPS power cord.

• My question is this: Assuming that you have not (a) direct wired from the battery your GPS, or (b) installed another 12v power source (like a Powerlet on the dash) and that you only use the glove box cigarette adapter for your GPS, what, if anything, have you done to keep the GPS power cord from getting pinched? Please do NOT tell me to run a new cigarette adapter somewhere else. That's an obvious alternative, but if I was going to do that then I wouldn't be making this post.
  • Did you drill a small hole, cut the cord and re-splice/reconnect it then fill in the space in the hole around the cord with silicone caulk/filler?
  • Run the cord somehow through the bottom of the glove box and back up through next to the handlebars?
  • Something else?
  • And...pictures would be appreciated if you got 'em.
Many Thanks!

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
I am running my Zumo 550 from the 12V power outlet in the left cubby. I also have a "Y" adapter on it so I can charge my cell phone when needed. I just used a half-round jeweler's file to make a notch in the raised lip on the top right corner of the cubby. No water has ever gotten in there and I have ridden in some deluges. I run the power cord through the notch and then down under the meter panel where the headphone cable goes. Then I ran it up through the left handle bar under the cover that is held on with two screws. Be sure to leave enough slack so the handle bars will turn lock to lock without binding or pulling on the cable. Maybe you can tell from the photo what I did. It's been working fine that way for 4 years but I may eventually run it to the auxiliary terminals in the fuse box. That would be a much neater installation. (Excuse the dirt, I haven't washed the bike since returning from a 9,000 mile trip to the Pacific Northwest.)

002.jpg
(Click to enlarge)

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Sorry I can't supply pics at this time. Before getting a Zumo 665LM and hardwiring it for power I used to use a basic Nuvi 40LM and got my power from the 12v aux/cig plug in the LH fairing pocket. Where the cord is concerned, I tried 2 things. The first was to dremmel cut a small slot in the standing rib along the lip of the pocket and lid, then place the cord between those and close the lid (no cord pinching). Later on I just decided to remove the rubber grommet in the bottom of the pocet and fished the power cord out through there. Honestly neither of those solutions was "ideal", and if I had to do it all over again I would eliminate the cig plug type power cord and instead just order a cord that could be hardwired.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I did not inlarge the hole. Both fit tight, but fit. Run the wire up the bottom of handlebar and wrap it around the ram post when not in use. One problem I had was the cig adapter kept falling out. Secured a strip of velcro around the cig adapter with a zip tie. Secured another strip around the back of the plug. Plug it in, connect the velcro, and holds solid. Make sure you have enough slack so the handlebars move without stretching the cord. No problems yet.

025.jpg 014.jpg 011.jpg

·
Registered
410 Posts
Sorry, reread my post and thought I may have been a little confusing. Anyway, took another photo that may help.
Ran the cord out the bottom hole (one with the grommet) and back out with the audio cable. Like I said, didn't need to enlarge the hole for the audio cable, both cords fit, just a little tight. This photo shows it all.

029.jpg

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!

You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the responses and pics. Very helpful (and hopefully helpful to others in the future). Best regards

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Also did the notch thing and it has worked just fine. Ran over to handle bar (with slack) and use zip ties to loosely hold in place.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I drilled another hole near the inside-top of the compartment and fished the small plug through to the handlebar and up to the GPS. Once it's attached with velcro straps to the handlebars, I can take care of any extra slack and wiretie the excess under the compartment. I tried the notching the lid/lip thing, and hated the looks of the wire hanging out and dangling.
When you feed the wire to the handlebars from the inside and under the dash area, you don't see a thing.

·
Registered
590 Posts
2012??

The OP had an '01 GW. I have a '12. Removed LH glove box. Need 12 volts for my Zumo 550. ANy ideas? Would prefer it be thru the key(switch). Also, my '08 had a simple Ipod connection under LH glove box. Where is it on my new '12??? Again, any ideas. THX in advance. Johnny BTW: I do NOT have a cigarette recept.

·
IronMan
17,162 Posts
:roll::roll::roll:RUN WIRE DIRECT TO ACC SIDE OF FUSE BOX !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts