GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At last year's Wing Ding we camped at the Fairground where a fellow camper said he often sets up his Time Out camper behind a closed commercial building when just passing thru an area. Was curious if anyone else does this when going cross country. Any pros or cons to consider?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Wal Mart, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. lot. Ask permission first.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He did say he always has a handgun close by for security. I was more interested in high visibility places like Walmart, truck stops etc., but have never seen a mc camper set up anywhere other than an actual campground.
I am authorized to carry in all 50 states so that is a security option.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I have never done it but many say Walmart welcomes campers. I know my local walmart always has a few out in the far-away parts of the parking lot. Of course in one of my local walmarts you'd probably want to carry.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
He did say he always has a handgun close by for security. I was more interested in high visibility places like Walmart, truck stops etc., but have never seen a mc camper set up anywhere other than an actual campground.
I am authorized to carry in all 50 states so that is a security option.
Me to but, I would find it a little difficult to wake up, grab my Glock .45 and take out a couple dirt bags when they're standing over me with their guns pointed at me already:eek:4:
I'd go for the Walmarts that are open 24/7 with roaming parking lot security. Using a truck stop would depend on where one was allowed to set up. Hidden from plain view by semis would not be a good thing either!

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
SAFETY or more notable lack of it, staying in places like that, which most are not visible to patroling LEO's!
I have done this a few times, but found a LEO first and the them know I was there. This was between two containers that were for sale along side the road just inside the city limits.

·
Registered
931 Posts
We have set up at many city parks. Lots have free camping or camping at less than $10.00 a night. Most have bathrooms, electricity, and a few have showers. Most smaller towns offer a place to light for a night or two, some you just have to ask a local gas station or city cop.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Wondering--
do you just inquire as you arrive to determine if a city has a park where you can camp, or is there a website or some sort of directory??
thanks!
ob

·
Registered
714 Posts
At first reading of this posting, I gasped. I thought how risky that seems to camp behind a vacant warehouse. As I continued to read, it probably doesn't seem quite as dangerous as first thought, but I guess I still have some strong reservations.

I think the suggestions here about Wal-mart types, or city parks are great suggestions and would probably be the first attempt. Even if you have a weapon and are able to protect yourself you may end up with more grief afterwards with legal issues, trials, hospitals, etc. Keep the risk low...

·
Registered
314 Posts
While riding, I'm always looking at places I'd consider camping at for a night if I were on the road. My place of choice is a farmer's field - I always ask if I can set up in the back of his field. Other times, I take the 1st road after crossing a bridge and camp along side a stream.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts