GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife wants to travel to places and then ride so I bought a new 6x12 tandem axle cargo trailer last year and had it customized for a bike (Condor chock, tie-downs, rear stabilizers, etc). I pull it with a Class C or my Tacoma. Being that it's a bit heavy (when loaded with my 08) for the Tacoma (talking gas mileage with the truck's 6 cyl), I'm thinking about selling it and buying something like the Stinger Folding Trailer XL112.

Has anyone tried one of these, or one like it? Price wise I think I can sell the 6x12 and get enough to buy a new Stinger. Or I may look around for a trade, but I'd like to know that someone had success with the Stinger and his/her 1800 before committing to the effort.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Looking at the specs, the trailer has no suspension. They rely on the trailer tires and the bikes suspension to absorb the bumps. That and the narrow wheel base may cause problems. Probably OK for short trips but I would be concerned going around sharp curves at higher speeds. Seems to me it would want to tip sideways.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Wide wheel base is always much better for stability. The class c back end will bounce up and down on bumps more than your truck and that movement is amplified to the bike trailer.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking at the specs, the trailer has no suspension. They rely on the trailer tires and the bikes suspension to absorb the bumps. That and the narrow wheel base may cause problems. Probably OK for short trips but I would be concerned going around sharp curves at higher speeds. Seems to me it would want to tip sideways.
Good call. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Also with an enclosed trailer it is out of sight and out of mind when stopping someplace. It is out of the elements when driving in rotten weather and don't have to worry about rock chips on the bike either.
You can also use it for storage when you are at home.
Pay a little more for gas and keep the bike protected!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts