GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's supposed to be the latest and greatest to replace the older BT45 that a lot of people seem to run. I have no opinion one way or the other at the moment, this will be the first time I've attempted a rear tire on the front of a bike. Going to mount my car tire soon, the stock rear is getting short lived. Figured I'd order a replacement front tire sometime soon and put it on the shelf for later.

As a second question, what's the downsides of running a rear tire on the front? Gotta be something or everyone would do it. I haven't 100% committed either way, and I'm not opposed to just sticking with a regular front tire.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2006 Cabernet Red Metallic Traxxion Suspension DS #1757 Driveguard 195x55x16 87V 3oz DynaBeads
24 Posts
It's supposed to be the latest and greatest to replace the older BT45 that a lot of people seem to run. I have no opinion one way or the other at the moment, this will be the first time I've attempted a rear tire on the front of a bike. Going to mount my car tire soon, the stock rear is getting short lived. Figured I'd order a replacement front tire sometime soon and put it on the shelf for later.

As a second question, what's the downsides of running a rear tire on the front? Gotta be something or everyone would do it. I haven't 100% committed either way, and I'm not opposed to just sticking with a regular front tire.

Thanks.

Just started running a Bridgestone Driveguard on the rear of my 06 Wing.
I see lots of darksiders run the Battlax on the front, my concern is having a radial on the rear and a bias tire on the front.

·
Registered
543 Posts

Thanks.

Couldn't tell ya about either. I've studied this hard and ordered and received a BT45 last week. It's sitting in the garage waiting for me to finish wearing out the 709 Stone that I'm running now with the Yokohama Avid Envigor RF. The 709 has another 4k left easy.

·
Registered
95 Posts
"Just started running a Bridgestone Driveguard on the rear of my 06 Wing.
I see lots of darksiders run the Battlax on the front, my concern is having a radial on the rear and a bias tire on the front. "

"Which raises the question, why are some manufacturers delivering new models with radial rear tires and bias-ply fronts? Harley-Davidson Softail Breakout and CVO Breakout are both equipped with a radial rear (240/40R-18) and a bias-ply front (130/60B-19) are examples of bikes that use this combo presumably for the advantages of longer tread life and better heat dissipation for rear."
"The Triumph T100, T120, Street Cup and Street Twin are also likewise equipped, which the factory explains thus; “This combination of tire constructions is selected because it offers the best stability, neutrality and agility on the bikes for which they have been selected. In our experience, this construction combination offers no disadvantage in terms of grip or slide behavior in ‘on-road’." quotes from above web article.

I am currently running a BT45 front and a Hankook RF on rear 16K on this combo and no issues.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For what is worth, I run the Pirelli 195/55/16 P-7 Cinturato in the rear for the past 2K plus miles, and BT-46 130-70/18 upfront for the past 1500 miles, only difference I noticed is that my rear feels better vs OEM and that the front is more planted than OEM size, especially going into the road groves(where different sections merge) in the turns it feels the same as OEM, my yearly riding avg 20-30 K miles, been at it for 45 yrs :).

DD that is my ticket, should have done it years ago, no sense to buy into the OEM hype.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For what is worth, I run the Pirelli 195/55/16 P-7 Cinturato in the rear for the past 2K plus miles, and BT-46 130-70/18 upfront for the past 1500 miles, only difference I noticed is that my rear feels better vs OEM and that the front is more planted than OEM size, especially going into the road groves(where different sections merge) in the turns it feels the same as OEM, my yearly riding avg 20-30 K miles, been at it for 45 yrs :).

DD that is my ticket, should have done it years ago, no sense to buy into the OEM hype.
I should add that is a run flat, the MOST important reason for the rear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts