GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The appeal this helmet has for me is that the chin bar can be raised and moved all the way to the rear, so that this modular helmet can be used as a 3/4 helmet without having the wind catch the raised chinbar like my Shoei Neotec does. I'm wondering if any here on the forum have bought this helmet and what they think about it. The fact that its several hundred dollars less than the Shoei Neotec 2 makes me just a bit suspicious.

· Registered
1,774 Posts
If I remember correctly, the "Shark" brand is a generic Chinese brand...try a Google search and it'll find no information last I checked.

Another words, NO, I won't bother with "generic" knock-off with unknown quality.

I rather spend extra $$$ and get a certified genuine helmet of quality manufacturer.

Wouldn't be surprised is the certification is phony too.

· Love The DCT
13,791 Posts
Shark makes a very good helmet and I would not be suspicious because it is priced below the Shoei Neotec helmet. That particular Shark helmet is still priced at $450 to $470 bucks. Higher price does not necessarily equate to a better helmet.

I don't have the Shark Evo One 2 helmet, but I have a LS2 Valiant helmet that has the same feature that allows the chin bar to be rotated to the rear. It is a very nice feature when the weather is very hot or when riding in a town or city. You can still rotate the sun shade and the clear face shield down with the chin bar in the rear position. My LS2 helmet was $300 bucks.

Review of Shark Evo One 2 helmet here.

· Love The DCT
13,791 Posts
If I remember correctly, the "Shark" brand is a generic Chinese brand...try a Google search and it'll find no information last I checked.

Another words, NO, I won't bother with "generic" knock-off with unknown quality.

I rather spend extra $$$ and get a certified genuine helmet of quality manufacturer.

Shark is a French motorcycle helmet manufacturer. They are based in Marseille, France. They are known for their safety and meet SHARP, DOT, ECE, and FIM standards. They are not a generic knockoff with unknown quality or phony certifications.

· Registered
2,482 Posts
Shark is a French company and their products are widely respected, even though they aren’t as available or known as the premium brands, Shoei, Arai and Schuberth.

Think of them as a ”2nd tier” company along the same lines as Nolan, HJC, and AGV, all of which offer build quality not quite as high as the premium brands, but at a more affordable price point.

Shark is involved in MotoGp and World Superbike racing.

I live in Alberta. In recent years, I believe Calgary city motorcycle police were using Shark modular helmets.

Vito, go to YouTube and find Champion Helmets in the Netherlands. They publish excellent reviews of popular helmets (in English) with instrumented, measured results for noise and internal temperature.

They are a quality brand helmet.

Tim

· Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just located a dealer that carries Shark so my next step is to go there and try one on. Its a bit hard to justify a new helmet since my Shoei is only a couple of years old, and my Nolan 3/4 helmet is only a year old, but neither feels ideal to me. This might be worth a try rather than spend the really high price for a new Schuberth.

· Registered
10,618 Posts
Shark is priced less than Shoei because Shoei thinks highly of their helmets and the consumer is stupid enough to pay their high prices.

Disclaimer - I use a Shoei Neotec II hi-viz 😉

· Love The DCT
13,791 Posts
Shark is priced less than Shoei because Shoei thinks highly of their helmets and the consumer is stupid enough to pay their high prices.

Disclaimer - I use a Shoei Neotec II hi-viz 😉
You pay more for a helmet if you want fancy graphics, more than one color, or a race replica helmet.

· Premium Member
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag
3,337 Posts
We have the Shark EVO I helmets. They are around 10+ years old and have about 2 hours on them. We were advised to buy a tad small to accomdate for "stretch" and wear-in. Well, a "tad small" was way too small. They were very uncomfortable. We got a hold of the Shark rep and met him at a store they were about to open to the public. He had a couple of huge boxes of brand new cheek pads. We went down the smallest (thinest) cheep pads we could find that would fit the helmets. Those helped some but the helmets are still somewhat uncomfortable. They are VERY NICE HELMETS. All in all, we have around $1,100 in two with the top quality J&M Audio speaker and mic and cords for our '08 Wing.

But, as stated, they only have around 2 hours on them after at least 10+ years of ownership. I break mine out every once in a while to see if I can tolerate it. I can for about maybe 10 minutes. Then it becomes uncomfortable and especially if I want to talk either to the wife or a fellow rider on the C/B. I always bite my cheeks because the pads push them in. Oh well, live and learn. Again, they are very nice helmets.
Scott

· Registered
256 Posts
The appeal this helmet has for me is that the chin bar can be raised and moved all the way to the rear, so that this modular helmet can be used as a 3/4 helmet without having the wind catch the raised chinbar like my Shoei Neotec does. I'm wondering if any here on the forum have bought this helmet and what they think about it. The fact that its several hundred dollars less than the Shoei Neotec 2 makes me just a bit suspicious.
I had the shark Evo 2 and liked but thought it was a bit on the heavy side.
I bought the Klim tk1200 and like it better.
It's lighter and comes with a auto darking face shield.
It doesn't rotate all the way back like the shark but I can ride with it open as long as I'm looking thru or just above the windshield.
Kim gives a military discount too.

· Registered
1,774 Posts
Shark is a French motorcycle helmet manufacturer. They are based in Marseille, France. They are known for their safety and meet SHARP, DOT, ECE, and FIM standards. They are not a generic knockoff with unknown quality or phony certifications.
I stand corrected.👍

The Shark brand I refer to was those stuff you see on TV commercials.

· Registered
814 Posts
I have a Shark Evo that I bought several years ago. The drop down sun shade tended to get scratched in the very middle (did not interfere with vision though). I had the company send me another sun shade, but I've never installed it as I have bought other helmets since. I did like the chin bar going all the way back, but mine has tended to not lock in place when in the front position (not sure why as I never investigated). Also, had some problem develop with the clear shield not closing all the way which left for a small slot for wind to get through. That wasn't all that bad except rain could also get through. The helmet fit fine, but it was a tad on the heavy side. I liked the concept, but the execution on my helmet was only a 9 and not a 10. I had bought it in my Harley days, so I might not have been as easy on it as I should have. I think I paid between $300-$400 for it at the time. It was black so it matched my Road King :cool:

· Registered
2021 Gold Wing Tour
52 Posts

This is simply not true. "try a Google search" and you'll find a wealth of information regarding Shark helmets.

· Registered
2021 Gold Wing Tour
52 Posts
I just ordered a Shark Evo 1 2 today, so I haven't received it yet to try it out. I have worn Shark Skwal 1 and Skwal 2 full face helmets and was very satified with them, so I'm anticipating the same wth the Evo.

· Registered
305 Posts
I have a Scorpion Exo tech, same as the Shark Evo with the rotating chin bar. Shark didn't make a helmet big enough for my melon head so I got the Scorpion. I like it, all day comfort, internal sun visor, pin lock equipped, quick ratchet style buckle.

· Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm surprised at the comments saying it is heavy. When I looked up the weight, I thought I had read that it is about 1/2 pound LESS than my Shoei Neotec, which is a moderately heavy helmet. I found a dealer about an hour away from me where I hope to go soon to try on the Shark to see if it fits my shaped head.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts